Tapping/Clicking noise?

Door_1980

Hope someone can help.

Recently there has been a clicking noise from the engine until it slightly warms up (the engine) and then the clicking or tapping gets quieter until you can barely notice it.

It reminds me of the noisy tappets I used to have on my mitsubishi fto, but surely it would be the tappets???? :(

I have checked the oil, which is half full so topped this back up to the top. I am thinking maybe she needs a oil change?

Sounds awful when I start her up from cold thou, quite upsetting as I do love my black beauty :P:o

Edited by Russwcsims

Quick update guys, the noise is actually still there... :huh:

Not as loud as before but still there. It seems to go once the car has warmed up.

Is this anything to worry about? if so then I may think about getting rid of her before she ends up costing me alot in repairs.. (if it comes to this)

Is it just like a tick tick tick that gets louder as the engine warms when idle and disappears when you put your foot down on the accelerator ?

No the tick tends to go quieter as the engine warms up. Or another example is when I start the car there tapping/ticking is there but if I put my foot on the acceleratoer it goes and revs nice...

Just an idea but it could be the vapour canister purge valve. Test it by disconnecting it electrically. If the noise goes you have found your problem if not keep

looking :lol: . The tutting drove me mad for weeks when my one went.

I do believe I said tappets above lol but, Im a girl so what do I know he he he :lol: ! They are hydraulic on the Arosa so can only be adjusted so much before the buckets need replacing. You could try getting a Hydraulic lifter conditioning oil and try adding that but, its likely that they will need to be replaced eventually. I need to do mine and in the polo haynes manual it says about placing a screwdriver under the lifter and adjusting it but, it just seems like such a mission I would rather pay someone to replace them.