best BHP from 1.4 16v

mattay

A full exhaust, panel filter and cold air feed or induction kit with a full re-map would see you some good gains. There is very little between a panel filter and

induction kits an induction kit just sounds louder better.

After that the mods will cost quite a bit for not a lot of gain. After the above My focus would be to make the available power more usable so suspension, rear anti role bar,

strut brace, brakes.

Then i would fit a set of under-drive pulleys get lightweight alloys and fit some under body protection. Not to protect the underside but to make it more slippery

to reduce drag. The underside of a car is one area that is always ignored but there is a huge loss of power from all the drag that is caused. The lupo like most cars is not exactly

smooth on its belly especially around the back bumper its like a big air scoop back there ready to gulp lots of air and slow you down

rigidsheet1.jpg

http://www.plastics4performance.co.uk/pro_...body_rigid.asp#

Mine has a Raceland Manifold, PowerFlow cat back exhaust and a BMC induction kit.

That made 117.3 bhp when I had it on the rollers. Not sure if a re-map would add any more BHP though, would like to think it would hit 120bhp if it was re-mapped just so it was mapped to those modifications but doesn't sound like it would quite get there.

A full exhaust, panel filter and cold air feed or induction kit with a full re-map would see you some good gains. There is very little between a panel filter and

induction kits an induction kit just sounds louder better.

Hmm... An open cone induction kit isn't going to make much difference as the extra air into the engine is going to be hotter thus cancelling itself out.

However research done with the BMC's on Lupo GTi's saw a 5bhp Peak gain! Hense why everyone loves them so much!

As for reducing drag? TBF On a road car with upto 140bhp it is going to make such a small difference that you'll never actually notice the difference unless you are a formula one driver!

Considering where the induction kit would fit I'd have thought an open filter would give you no benefits at all performance wise.

I put a BMC kit on mine, fed the cold air feed down into the wheel arch. Still sounds good but you know its getting a decent amount of cool air.

Drag wise, wouldn't this affect top end speed rather than acceleration. I'd consider getting to 60 quicker more important than high speed runs so wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

Hmm... An open cone induction kit isn't going to make much difference as the extra air into the engine is going to be hotter thus cancelling itself out.

However research done with the BMC's on Lupo GTi's saw a 5bhp Peak gain! Hense why everyone loves them so much!

As for reducing drag? TBF On a road car with upto 140bhp it is going to make such a small difference that you'll never actually notice the difference unless you are a formula one driver!

I was not really talking about cone filters as no one really uses them any more unless they get max power. I would like to see some proof that a BMC can gain 5bhp peak over a standard airbox with cold air feed on a 1.4 as that is what we are talking about who said anything about a GTI

You are wrong about aerodynamics you do notice gains in fact i have done a few small things and i certainly can tell. Even chevy were shocked when they undertook research into aerodynamics when designing the volt. They found that aerodynamic drag is having a significant effect by 35mph

The coefficient of aerodynamic drag for your car is fixed,and remains constant,once up to about 20-mph ( 33 km/h ),and the experts now say that aero drag is significant by 35-mph ( 56 km/h ).
Aerodynamics can give a much larger boost to the range of an EV than decreasing the weight of the vehicle. These results were fascinating and hold true in both city and highway driving conditions. This is why the current shape of the Volt is 30 percent more aerodynamic than that of the concept

They had range as the main goal but the offshoot of the better aerodynamics to achieve that is you get a quick car for less power as there is less resistance against it. EVs are ware most of the big research has been done as you cannot be wasteful with the power. In fact horspower to horsepower the GM EV1 although unaficially is the fastest production car ever made in the US and that was achieved mainly by aerodynamics.

you will start to see more and more cars with belly pans and air dams as they want to give you a smaller engine car with the same performance as a comparatively larger engine cars but also gaining MPG

Drag is proportional to speed yes but that is not to say its only important at top speed they are starting to learn that drag is a huge factor at

any speed over about 30mph that is why so much design is going into it. Concidering that at motorway speeds on an average car around 60% of the engine power is going to combat drag its not hard to see that you can do thing that get results just in the same way you can when reducing weight.

It is often the way that enganears that work on aerodynamics for a car want it to be different but cost and fashion always win over. What do they do

to there personal cars? well they modify them to be more aerodynamic as they know the benefits

Next time your driving along at 30 open the window and flip the mirror in then push it back and feel just how much harder it is compared to standing still

in fact flip both in and do a coast test some cars its very surprising.

i had 120 out of my standard (non sport) Loop but since then the gearbox blew up and when they took it apart they found out it was a sport box, and then gave me a normal box as a replacement so now it doesnt go as well :( gits.

it now sits at 3500 rpm at 70 instead of 3000 rpm with the old sport box aswell.

Sorry this has nothing to do with bhp does it lol

this is brillient, thanks guys....

people that are pushing 120 BHP.... would you say you could keep up with the likes of VTS's and GTi's now?

I'd imagine on the road they'd certainly keep up. Although I've never found my Lupo cruises at higher speeds. 65mph is about its comfy cruising speed although it'll hit 120 on the speedo.

oh yes the good old rolling road figures

we all believe and go by these -dont we :lol::lol:

if you want a bit more power from your 1.4,sell it and buy a gti

simples

Depends on the rolling road to be honest mate. I'm sure there are some that give truly ambitious figures but having been on a rolling road day and seen cars pushing what they expect or generally some under. I was inclined to think that the figures mine produced were fairly accurate to what you'd expect from the mods it has.

195bhp eaton charged

Haha that's slightly different though although always an option. :lol:

• 1 month later...