GTi Engine into a 16v sport

mattay

Alright guys,

besides the GTI engine, what other parts will i need to fit it into a lupo sport 16v? and is it worth doing?

I have searched for similar threads with no luck. If there is one a link would be great.

Thanks,

matt

Alright guys,

besides the GTI engine, what other parts will i need to fit it into a lupo sport 16v? and is it worth doing?

I have searched for similar threads with no luck. If there is one a link would be great.

Thanks,

matt

There is no point in doing it. Just wait and buy a GTI. Or if your going to do a conversion get something bigger!!! Or a bolt on!

A Polo GTI engine will fit straight in

If you use a Lupo GTI engine I think you have to swap the subframe and everything over too. That can raise problems with wheels and lowness, as you'll have wider track but narrow arches.

ok, so would you recommend just spending the money ~£600 on enhancing the sport engine? If so what would you recommend and in what order?

Dont mean to be retarded just dont want to waste my time with worthless upgrades :)

Cheers,

matt

AFAIK, for the conversion you need:

Engine (including inlet, TB etc)

Clocks

Loom

ECU

Keys

If not manifold, cat-back, decent air filter like BMC CDA, and a remap may see you close to the standard GTi figure.

Mark

I'm doing it currently on a 1.4 16v (75bhp non-sport)

I got hold of a Polo GTi engine (Lupo is far more complicated) and the only extras I've needed so far are a GTi cable throttle body - although I'm not sure if the Sport TB is the same as the GTi one, so you might be ok there.

I wouldn't say it was worth doing, unless the engine in your is knackered - Sports still fetch a decent price. If you want to do it "for the hell of it" then sell yours and buy one that needs some work or has a dead engine.

Sport and GTI throttle bodies are the same diameter. They just work a bit differently in that the Sport uses the EGR and the GTI goes through the header tank.

I don't see the point in GTI'ing a Sport unless your getting all the bits to do it for really cheap or as Matt says if you've burst your engine. Its a lot of work for 25bhp and a lot of Sports seem to be kicking out more than 100bhp as standard so in some cases its even less than a 25bhp upgrade! Makes more sense with a 75bhp one in my eyes as the power gain is a lot more.

Sort of in both minds, it doesn't seem too hard for 25bhp, but it depends what level you want to go to, if you want to get more than 125ish BHP, then the 1600 would be a must, can take those up to say 140ish BHP with selective mods.

But, for now, the selective mods could be done to the 1400.

Mark

Personaly if its just a standad gti engine i wouldnt bother but if you got the polo gti engine then had some head work done (fast road cams, port&polish) then deffinatly.

ok, so the common responce would be to upgrade the parts on my engine. 2 things:

1 - where sells lupo parts or would i be looking at gettin them custom made?

2- the reason i wanted the gti engine is i dont want a loud boy racer looking/sounding car but i wanted the speed.

cheers for the info,

matt

Kamracing do the Raceland manifold, i'd say customer on the exhaust but you could go Janspeed, Bastuck, Remus or Scorpion (cat-back) but if you go custom you can ask for 2/3 BIG boxes to keep the noise down.

Air filter, a panel can be used (quiet-ist) but for the best gains, BMC CDA or Pipercross Viper etc.

Then a remap, Awesome, Jabba etc.

your better off spending the money tuning your sport

start with air filter, exhaust, manifold :)

then if you work on some handling mods you'll be beating everything round the corners ;)

Sport exhaust is a GTI exhaust but a tad more restrictive.

If you find this to be the case then wear a face mask and drill out the pre cat or something.

Same 4 branch manifold, same pre cat, same main cat, same mid-silencer, same backbox. Both GTI and Sport are twin exit.

Sport combines the twin exit into a single oval chrome tip where as the GTI just has two chrome round tips.

So the only differences are...slightly more restrictive cat (not sure on this), different chrome tip (otherwise both are twin exit) and different exhaust hangar locations (according to the VW diagrams I've seen).

Edited by Niche

Just been on the remus website, nothing listed for lupo sport, gti or arosa sport. There are ones listed for the other models though such as 1l and 1.4 75bhp :angry:

thats saddening. Although, just been on there. They have a centre exit exhaust for the 75BPH model? buts its £350

Edited by mattay

i have a 1.4 sport and lookin for more power but i dont plan on anything drastic id polish and port but what gains would i get on this and how much would it cost? after that im going to fit a new exahust and then revo remap. so im hoping for around 130 bhp hopefully then new cams for 140bhp but well see.

as far as im aware there isnt a revo map for the lupo sport my mate is a dealer however amd, awesome and custom code do do one