Red GTI on e-bay

charlie clark

I couldn't make my mind up about him. He was friendly, polite and accomodating but was full of salesman bluff (even though he sells loads of Lupo GTIs) such as: "cambelts only need doing at 60k," "leather wasn't a factory option - only imports have leather" etc. to get me more interested in the ones he had for sale.

thanks for the information.

i don't mind the bull-**** to be fair, hes just doing a job.

thing is it looks like a nice car.i like the colour.i dont mind it not having a

6 speed or a/c etc.

basically if i like the lupo GTI cars starting with this one, i will eventually get a higher

spec'd one later on.

they say it's got a full HPI check, how genuine are these reports?

any other tips on what to look for, on the test drive etc

thanks

yeah i think i'll skip it. id spoken to the guy at 'Dubbers' and asked him what the difference was between the 5 and the 6 speed box, he said nothing they has exactly the same gear ratios etc

just told me that the 6 speed was around 800 pounds more for the privilege.

saying that the guy must know what he's talking about after all those years in the buisness.

on the other hand why would Volkswagen, change the box format to 6 gears?

there most of been a reason, and many of you have already realised those slight changes.

i think i am going to wait a bit longer for the perfect GTI.

i think i will have to spend around 6.5 k for the ultimate GTI with all the extras.

thanks for all your help !

r4byy

Edited by charlie clark

the difference was between the 5 and the 6 speed box, he said nothing they has exactly the same gear ratios etc

on the other hand why would Volkswagen, change the box format to 6 gears?

How would that even be possible?

The final ratios are the same.

Not sure why it changed, there aren't really any reliability issues with the 5 speed. I guess it was to justify the relatively high price of the Lupo GTI's, as they weren't selling too well.

yeah i think i'll skip it. id spoken to the guy at 'Dubbers' and asked him what the difference was between the 5 and the 6 speed box, he said nothing they has exactly the same gear ratios etc

just told me that the 6 speed was around 800 pounds more for the privilege.

Nice to see he knows what he's talking about...and they didn't charge any more for it either.

"No differences" ? I assume he thinks they've just tacked on an extra ratio for motorway, but that'd be a really high gear...

The fact is, the new 6th ratio is about the same as the old 5th, the other gears are more tightly stacked, giving some big increases in acceleration in the mid range. Off the top of my head, 30-50 in 5th is 2.8 seconds quicker than the old 5 speed.

So yeah, IMO it really is worth getting a 6 speed, you'll end up changing gears more often, but its a fair bit quicker in the mid-range, which is where people do most of their accelerating.

As for why they did it...no idea. The GTi was an offshoot of a development from the Lupo ADAC Cup in Germany I believe, so maybe they developed a new box for the racing series over there, and decided to convert it for road use, while at the same time giving the LupoGTi the edge over its competition - the MINI had just come out, so they probably just tried to boost sales. Who know...I'm just making this up as I type :P