Am I mad?

LoopyT

I love the CTR and was very close to getting one before the Loop. They're both great in their class, but you can't really compare them. Loop is probably more of a compromise in terms of running costs, insurance, etc but it is still damn good fun.

Why not keep the CTR and get a Loop too! Best of both worlds biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

With regards to fitting different sized tyres to the standard 205/45/15, I have now had 2 different tyre dealers (good ones, not Kwik Krap assholes) advise against it. Their argument being that different sized tyres haven't been tested on the car and they couldn't guarantee how they would affect the car's handling.

Thoughts?

I reckon you'll be ok

Enough people get away with 17s.....and 14s for that matter

195/45/15 would probly make the car feel *a bit* more "alive" because of the slightly smaller rolling radius, better tyre choice at this size

215/45/15 would grip *a bit* more but turn in would be *a bit* less

Yeah, my tyre place were unwilling to fit 195/45/15 tyres on my car because apparently the load rating was slightly less than on the 205/45/15 tyres. It was still capable of supporting half the car on a single tyre, but that didn't matter apparently. Managed to persuade them though.

`Handling-wise`, you could screw it up slightly (especially going wider), but to be honest, if you get decent tyres then you're still going to end up better overall than the OE dunlops.

Bear in mind that mixing sizes front and back is a much bigger `no-no`, so you do really need to be swapping all four tyres if you alter sizes.

You can get the Dunlop DO1J tyres in 205/50R15, if you wanted the ultimate in (dry) handling. Wouldn't like to take it out in the wet though laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You'll probably be fine, but there's just a little more danger.

I used to have a Mk5 Polo 1.4 75bhp, which had the same Dunlop SP2000 tyres on as standard. I swapped the front ones for some decent tyres when the wore down, and left the back ones as the Dunlop tyres.

After two 270 degree snap spins on roundabouts in the wet (I've driven a RWD car, and I know how to catch and recover from oversteer, and I didn't have a chance), I changed the back ones for decent tyres too.

That's the only time I've ever spun a FWD car, even when doing silly things with handbrakes.

QUOTE(MattyB)
Hooow wide are those tyres Dan ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Wide enough to keep me satisfied when cornering or planting the brakes!....

They were £145 for the tyres, fitting, balancing and tracking from a local garage. I am considering them for the back when I can afford it. They really do grip!