Am I mad?

LoopyT

Hi all, my first post here smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I currently own a 2004 Civic `Type-R` which I'm *currently* thinking about replacing with a Lupo GTi. I know this is a 'downgrade' but the CTR just isn't suitable for the mostly town driving I do.

I test drove a GTi in the weekend and found it quite nippy and the engine note was sweet. The only problem I had was the gearstick and clutch, the gearstick was way down and I could barely reach it comfortably, I'm not sure if I had the seat up high (it is height adjustable isn't it?) or if I'm just used to the dash mounted CTR gears). The clutch, well... it felt like it wasn't there. The car had only done 9 miles, it did have a strong biting point but felt lifeless, I could've pressed it down with my little finger and it didn't 'spring' back up. Is this normal or does it sound like its got the pedal box problem I keep reading about? The salesguy obviously said it was normal for a car with just delivery miles.

So, am I crazy for considering replacing my CTR with a Lupo GTi?

Oh, and has anyone ordered one through drivethedeal.com? or know which dealer supplies dtd?

Thanks 8)

Personally, I probably wouldn't replace the CTR for a Lupo - while I much prefer the looks and uniqueness of the Lupo, the CTR is a much more capable machine (in a straight line at any rate).

Having said that, for around town driving, there probably isn't that much difference, and the increased MPG would be nice if nothing else.

I've not had a problem with the height of the gearstick, and not heard of anyone else who has either. Maybe you've got used to the very high CTR gearstick, or as you say, the seat might have been very high. The seat is fully height adjustable (not just tilt like on earlier VWs), and uses a ratchet lever on the outer side of the seat - keep pressing it down to go down.

As for the clutch, yes, it's absolutely rubbish in my opinion - I moved from a Polo 1.4 75bhp to a Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T before getting the Lupo, and both had a clutch that felt far nicer to use. Having said that, you do get used to the extremely light clutch on the Lupo, and it does start to get a bit more feel, once you've managed to get your left foot out of 'heavy' mode! On the plus side, it makes traffic jams a lot more pleasant - my left leg used to be aching in the Polo and Ibiza after a few minutes of `clutch-in`, `clutch-out`.

I'd be doing some hard bargaining in the dealership rather than using DTD, personally - take a printout of the DTD price and start there - I reckon you should be able to get it lower, what with them ceasing production soon. You'll probably need to try a few dealers (and play them off against each other) though.

QUOTE(LoopyT)
Hi all, my first post here  :)

welcome to da club

QUOTE(LoopyT)

I currently own a 2004 Civic `Type-R` which I'm *currently* thinking about replacing with a Lupo GTi. I know this is a 'downgrade' but the CTR just isn't suitable for the mostly town driving I do.

he he well the Lupo is great, but I want a CTR - swap?

QUOTE(LoopyT)
the gearstick was way down and I could barely reach it comfortably, I'm not sure if I had the seat up high (it is height adjustable isn't it?) or if I'm just used to the dash mounted CTR gears).

yes, its far down, the seat is adjustable and the dash mount of the gearstick on the CTR is weird, yet seems to be nice to use.... so i think u have to get used to a low stick again

QUOTE(LoopyT)

The clutch, well... it felt like it wasn't there. The car had only done 9 miles, it did have a strong biting point but felt lifeless, I could've pressed it down with my little finger and it didn't 'spring' back up. Is this normal or does it sound like its got the pedal box problem I keep reading about?  

So, am I crazy for considering replacing my CTR with a Lupo GTi?

The clutch is lifeless and not at all sporty, not sure about springing issue - it should come right back up ASAP - prob best driving another to compare it to.

In a word - you are not crazy but I think you will miss the CTR. If ALL of your drivng is around town then the Lupo is fantastic, but I crave lots more power when I am out of town. The Lupo is fun and chuckable around bends (if you are careful tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />) and if you fitted coilovers you would find it a whole lot more fun to drive (so i am told)...... get one!

Cheers for the replies. This is gonna be a weekend car if it makes any difference?

TBH, looks like I'll be selling the CTR no matter what. As fun as it is to drive on 'open' roads, I can't justify the cost of running one as a fun weekend only car. it's just a matter of what to replace it with. It's the sensible side of me that wants to downgrade. I've kinda had it with spending sack loads on cars sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

When is production of the GTi stopping?

welcome mate, changed my S2000 for a seat Cupra diesel and was pleasantly surprised by the halving of my running costs, lupo is probably better as a city car if you don’t need the space (CTR is a fair bit bigger) though the quality isn’t quite at the Honda level you shouldn’t have any major issues. You’ll get used to the clutch and the gear stick which is fine if you have the seat adjusted though it would be nicer if the seat went a bit lower than it allows.

QUOTE(Crusoe)
changed my S2000 for a seat Cupra diesel .

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> one way of puttin it!!!

Welcome to club lupo Loopy T!

sugar x

Yeh, the Lupo boot is a bit of a joke but luckily I won't be using it much, the folding rear seats should compensate for that. Although I didn't test drive the GTi long, it did feel quite sturdy, as good as anything they chuck out at Swindon.

I was also considering the Ibiza FR but I don't like the way it looks. I feel the Lupo will become a classic (although not on par with the mk1 golf) whereas the CTR will become a classic with the Max Power lot :oops:

QUOTE(Sugarbug)
QUOTE(Crusoe)
changed my S2000 for a seat Cupra diesel .

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> one way of puttin it!!!

slightly forced change as it wasn't drivable laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> could have got another though but downgrading is more sencible tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Welcome

Much as I love my Lupo it's definitely a downgrade imo. Though I quite agree that at legal speeds the the Lupo is about as much fun, I'd miss the engine and gearchange. Did you get to push the Lupo you drove through some corners? I'd imagine that without spending £500 on suspension on the Lupo you'd miss the handling as well, as imo the CTR handles amazingly well straight from the crate, and on std spensh the Lupo is undefeated European `warm-hatch` understeer champion every year since it was released

CTR probs? Did the rear engine mount on the drivers side needed replacing? My mums CTR has had three now, they keep going slack

Apparently the 04 CTR had modified mounts and doesn't have the same prob as ealier cars (or the dealer is bulls***ting me). Its more niggly problems that I can't be bothered to rectify since I hardly ever drive the car now.

It was raining hard when I had the test drive (Saturday) and apparently the tyres suck in the wet so I didn't want to take it too far.

I've posted it in the for sale section smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I lurve the CTR's.. my mate has one, it's gorgeous! Had a blast in it.. larvely!

Welcome biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

good time to sell before the new crx and/or civic replacement in 2006 is common knowledge and effects the price too much, still going to loos a fair bit selling such a new car though. Lupo for a year or two then trade back up if you get tired of it an dmiss the performance too much.

my mate had a ctr and nearly killed himself and another mate whilst doing ridiculous speeds through a 30 zone

mind you he had spent 6 grand on removing the vtec and having a turbo conversion

Hooow wide are those tyres Dan ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Oh, but someone on here said Toyo we're bringing out a 205/45/15 in the new `T1-R`?

Oh, And welcome to CL smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(Fran)
my mate had a ctr and nearly killed himself and another mate whilst doing ridiculous speeds through a 30 zone

mind you he had spent 6 grand on removing the vtec and having a turbo conversion

Is that the Cosmic grey one? I've seen the wrecked pics of it. As long as you know your own and the cars limits (and conditions) then accidents shouldn't happen.