lowering 40 mm

Sully!

I've been running -45mm springs on standard shocks on the Arosa for 3 years. Shocks are still fine, but the car has only done 14,000 miles...

I think the Arosa sport has lower springs anyway it certainly has uprated dampers over the rest of the range and better than the lupo sport got

Its one of those things that is always said but i think its often miss quoted with very little first hand experience with dampers being hugely

effected. Not to say that lowering springs will not have an effect a 40mm drop should not cause any more problems than the difference between

driving around with the car full of people vs just yourself. By any measure not enough to stop you doing it.

Don t listen to everyone that says just get some coilovers. Budget coilovers are only good for slamming a car and you get what you pay for with them.

If that is not your interest then there is nothing wrong with lowering springs. VW sold lowering springs as an option they would not have done so if

it were to seriously shorten the life of the dampers beyond what is reasonable. Running quite a bit of negative camber or just different alloys will have

just as much of an effect on the life of your dampers.

They -45mm springs on standard shocks Ray?

Yes, sorry I meant to put that in the post.

The way I looked at it was spend the extra on a set of shocks when I bought the springs, or get the life out of the shocks and then replace them when they start to go.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for the advice, im guessing basicalyy you can get away using standard shocks on 40 mm lower, but below 40 need change the shocks and will be best just buying coiliovers?

cheers

Edited by Sully!

so when youre gonna be putting 60 mm springs on what damage is it actually gonna cause?

the shocks just gonna sieze up and die? or what?

i dont know, thats why i was asking for advice, if you re read it carefully and understand that i said going below 40 mm you will need change the shocks ...

yeah i know just wanting to know whats going to happen when i do.

ive got the springs and was gonna stick them on over summer then buy coilovers in september(student loan)

just wanted to know if theyd last till then without killing me/the car lol

ive got the springs and was gonna stick them on over summer then buy coilovers in september(student loan)

oh sorry mate, i miss red it and thought u were going wild and having ago lol! im just wanting go for a cheap drop realy thats why was gonna be subtle and go for the 40 mm, main reason is am buying a 1937 ford coupe hot rod to do up with me dad in the winter so i gota get saving!!!

You'll end up with failing shocks as they are more compressed from 'neutral' than they are designed to be. Big hits on the shortened springs/standard shocks set up may cause the 'piston' to bottom out causing damage to the internals.

What%20shocks%20do1.gif