Converting fly-by-wire GTi TB to Cable?

MattyB

(So many questions :P)

I've located a Polo GTi engine, but it appears most are fly-by-wire. What are my options?

Individual TB's are too expensive and not something I'm fussed about right now...I can't seem to locate a GTi cable TB. Are there any other cable TB's off any of VAG's other 1.6's which are usable?

Ta :)

2.0L 8V golf TB is what you need.

Ill find out what TB ive got on mine, As ive converted to cable for my conversion. Ill pop some photos up of the fit too on my build thread.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Dude, fit anything with a cable throttle body.

Sod the Polo GTI flyby wire one :)

You will end up with standalone management at some point, you'd have to convert back again.

Stop being such a girl about it :P

Found this, it looks like it will fit tho you will have to check!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-golf-mk4-throttle...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Thats the same size as the one he has mate :)

John Beat me to it with a better answer!

Sport and GTI throttle bodies are the same size IIRC and I'm sure some Sports have cable throttle. So maybe something worth looking into.

Yeah the early sports have a cable throttle body. Mine is a V-reg, not sure when they changed them, possibly when they updated the dash and rest of interior.

Good stuff, cheers all...will keep an eye out for the TB.

And Andi is probably sick of me asking...but if I've got a LupoGTi engine, swapped the TB over to cable, and mate it to the existing 1.4 box? Bit confused as to the differences between a LupoGTi block and a Polo GTi block, as I thought they were the same...

(There's a cheap LupoGTi block down the road from a garage, so its easy to get hold of!)

No the bell housing is slightly different mate.

Thats why fitting a 6 Speed box to a none GTI would require a Lupo GTI sump.

If you fitted a Polo GTI sump to a Lupo GTI engine then you could in theory... but thats a daft an idea as I would think of :)

I got the tour of the new (tidied) garage the other day. Just enough room to fit a Lupo in...but not a Lupo GTi, that one can stay on the driveway :P

So...swapping the sump over...I gather its not a unscrew, remove, re-attach job? ;)

Yes ;)

But if you want to do that, use a Polo GTI engine, as the wiring is the same and then fit a Lupo GTI sump and fit a 6 Speed GTI box and have something no one has done before.

I should add I do not 'know' this will work, between photos off Clifford's gearbox mounting points, and looking at mine only the sump mounting points look difference.

It hasn't been measured, but it makes the most sense as the Lupo and Polo GTI engine blocks appear to be the same.

You need to think about your budget, and double it.

I had £1000 to buy everything.

I could have done it, even with both engines, new throttle bodies an ECU.

Id only gone over by £100ish quid.

But it costs you the double because after the amount of time researching, and trying to learn how to become a mechanic through phone calls and internet forums that you want it to be the best it can be when you are done.

I set out to build a cost effective, home made conversion.

Even though by the time Im done I will have spent £2000 I still think it is pretty cheap to N/A tune a GTI engine just with induction and fueling.

Oh, and the £2K includes the re spray :)

No the bell housing is slightly different mate.

Thats why fitting a 6 Speed box to a none GTI would require a Lupo GTI sump.

If you fitted a Polo GTI sump to a Lupo GTI engine then you could in theory... but thats a daft an idea as I would think of :)

has this been done as its alot of messing about

the gearbox mount is very different from lupo to polo thats why the lupo gti has a different subframe

the top left engine mount is diffrent too and will only line up if it match's the gearbox you have so polo box polo mount lupogti box lupo mount i found this out the hard way at the cost of dropping the engine on my finger and wrecking my new paint !!!!

if you need more info you can get me on here crashtest.carl@hotmail.com

So would a GTI subframe be a good buy?

well if using a lupo box then yeah as its how the rear mount works if you have a 1.4 subframe there is no where you can mount it to as the gearbox dont have the 1.4 mounting points unless you can knock up a mount and weld a bracket to the old subframe its the easy way about it and it dont cost to much from the steelers at £130

thats what it was a few years back anyway .

LOL it's at your place eh?

Got somewhere warm to work during them next few winters then have you Matt? :lol:

Yep its here for sure, I take it and rape the arse off it but it just keeps going. Its like having a constant hire car to drive and you know how they get driven :P