buying a lupo

markohope

Thinking of buying a lupo for my daughter ! what are common problems both on the 1.0 litre and 1.4 ? how bullet proof are they she's 19 years old and doesn't know a dipstick from a bus stop !

Cheers Marko

dont buy her one, ive a lupo 1.4 16v s and had nothin but trouble from it, or else its brand new or a granny has owned it there more than there worth! mine now needs a new engine!

I have a 1.0 Arosa. No fancy bits and bobs, real wind up windows and a key to lock the doors.

Good fun little car (ideal to learn on), fantastic around town and quite happy to sit at motorway speeds for trips to Edinburgh (46miles) and Glasgow (60miles).

I have also had a few 'for fun' road trips in it around the Highlands. Don't expect it to be a GTi 'cause it's obviously not.

I can't admit to doing loads of miles though, 13k in 3 1/2 years and the car has 30k on it now.

Other half loves it. In fact I want to trade up to a bigger car, maybe a Polo TDi, for the dog. She likes the Arosa that much she thinks I should trade my GTi :(

I would recommend the 1.0, unless she intends on doing loads of miles, in which case an 1.7 SDi or 1.4 TDi (£35 road tax) would be worth the extra spend up front.

Good luck with the search.

when researching to buy my Lupo i heard a lot of bad reviews of the 1.7 SDI's in that they are very sluggish. i heard the 1.0 litres arent to great either but what i have mentioned about the 1.7 SDI and the 1.0 litres is from internet review and forums only, never owned one so cant really give an opinion.

what i do know is, i went for the 1.4 TDI sport (dont see too many around so i was lucky), its £35 a year to tax as Silver! says and im only paying £20 quid odd a month insurance. its very nippy, easily handles motorway speeds aswell as city roads, nice and small to park and manouver etc i do a 40 mile round trip to work 5 days a week plus weekend trips etc and never had a problem and im on 65,000 miles now on a 52 plate. the only bad points in my eyes is that it is like a boat to get round roundabouts in that it tips a great deal and it only has brake discs on the front (drums on back).

Excellent all round little car that she wont grow out of in a hurry and is affordable to run and maintain.

i have had a 1.7sdi arosa and never had a problem it got driven hard and seemed to drive very well cruised at more 70mph+ with out giving me a headache with 3 people in it as well the 1.7 sdi engine isnt regarded as a good engine and with the climate we are in i think its great cheap to run with no fuss only had to replace a wheel bearing in the year i owned it your gonna get problems with all cars no matter how old or new its one of the joys of motoring

i have had a 1.7sdi arosa and never had a problem it got driven hard and seemed to drive very well cruised at more 70mph+ with out giving me a headache with 3 people in it as well the 1.7 sdi engine isnt regarded as a good engine and with the climate we are in i think its great cheap to run with no fuss only had to replace a wheel bearing in the year i owned it your gonna get problems with all cars no matter how old or new its one of the joys of motoring

very true indeed.

luck of the draw mainly - there are lemons in every make of car i guess, just takes 1 to write a review and gives the car a bad rep.

just go and view a few, go with your instinict and you wont go far wrong B)

to be honest its jut owning any other car if u look after it then u will have no problems like me i have a citreon berlingo on a 02 plate with 270000 miles i look after it and have had no need to spend lots of money on it and its the hdi engine as well which have there problems