cheapist mod

lupo_1.0

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a one litre as well ( not like the name dont give it away ) but i would say the best mod for more power is a nice and easy 1.8 litre turbo lump put under the bonet as u aint gonna get much power out of the mighty one litre lump

Id have to agree mate.

There is supposed to be a chip avalable but there is no proven figures to back up the claims.

Ive fitted a exhaust which removes one silencer and replaces the centre on with a much smaller unit, and although this has improved throttle responce, low end touque has been lost, so I wouldnt recomend it.

Everyone I know with a 1 litre who has fitted a induction kit has lost power also.

Although I am concidering adapting a BMC filter to see if that gives any increace.

Id very much doubt it though!

a lot of cars lose power when they have an inductionkit. I've heard and also experienced in my bussiness that in most cases a panel performance replacement filter works much beter in not losing power and still have improved throttle response. My first mod back then was a K&N panel filter wich seemed to work just fine.

QUOTE(Tigz)
A filter upgrade on a Deisal engine is a waste of time isnt it?

1. Am i right in thinking that reducing restrictivness of air admissin system improves torque and power (by small margin power by larger trque, especially at low rpm end)?

2. If the above is true and BMC test figures are right then fitting mcuh lower restriction BMC filer replacement element would cause the effect described in (1) - acc to BMC, if I remember correctly, if 100% is no filter at all, 65% is new paper filter then BMC oiled cotton gauze is 85%.

But then again, I stumbled across this one http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisDyno.asp - check Polo 1.6GTi dyno test results...

EDIT: removed misinterpretation of the graph sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Umm right. The engine will give more power when it can breathe more easily. An exhaust which allows more out, (inc. manifolds and `de-cat`) will mean air can get out fast. You then want to increase COLD air in so you can fit a filter or a whole new airbox (induction kit) to improve air flow.

The BMC is sealed so it keeps out (as much as possible) engine heat, other induction kits are not sealed and they allow HOT air from the engine to be sucked in - resulting in loss of power.

The BMC website shows torque AND BHP - there are two seperate lines. The dotted line is WITH the BMC and the solid is without, so power is increased across the range with a BMC.

QUOTE(tdwindustries)
An exhaust which allows more out, (inc. manifolds and `de-cat`) will mean air can get out fast.

Ask Tigz about that - his exhaust was very unrestrictive, and he suffered a loss in power.

I also believe there is some caveat regarding exhaust `back-pressure` and turbos, but Blackrat is your man to speak to about that.

Yes its the loss in back pressure that has caused me problems.

I dont belive its power loss thats the problem, its more of a touque loss.

There is a lot more power top end, but from 3.5krpm down the engine is lifeless.

ah yes well obviously you can go to much I was merely tickling the subject to answer the enquirers intial line of enquiry. the basics are easy - more air in + more air out = more power but I didnt say there werent caveats. In fact i think remus or somebody has a full description on their web site I will have a look

well this is pretty good:

Let air come in more easily - As a piston moves down in the intake stroke, air resistance can rob power from the engine. Some newer cars are using polished intake manifolds to eliminate air resistance there. Bigger air filters and reduced intake piping can also improve air flow.

Let exhaust exit more easily - If air resistance or `back-pressure` makes it hard for exhaust to exit a cylinder, it robs the engine of power. If the exhaust pipe is too small or the muffler has a lot of air resistance then this can cause `back-pressure`. `High-performance` exhaust systems use headers, big tail pipes and `free-flowing` mufflers to eliminate `back-pressure` in the exhaust system.

SOURCE: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question395.htm

The only reason I can think of (i did some reading recently but by no means I know the subject) there is an oxygen probe just before the cat and after the cat. If you remove your cat the first one is getting lower pressure exhaust and what follows lower oxygen readings at low revs and ECU adjusts fuelling accordingly.

That's just my thinking, I bet it is not as simple as that since there are many more sensor readingto take into account

Were sensors totally removed/disconnected?

When I was thinking exhaust I was looking for performance catalysts with min 85% free cross sectional area (65% is max with stock types afaik)

I still have sensors were they should be just not cat or `pre-cat`.

it runs well on tickover and i havnt felt any ill effects of having it `de-catted`.

It still puts real well and can near enough get it reading off of speedo when trying hard ( private road) when i do have warning light turned off i doesn't make any diffrence at all.

Clifford r in process of making tubular manifold for it so that should be entertaining??!!

He he he he, gotta wait for the warranty to run out, then I `de-cat` it, install permamently 2nd stage inter and custom tune the chip (or even buy uprated ECU)

EDIT:Previous post got edited and this one does not make any sense now :? :roll:

Imho if you make serious mods to your car it only makes then perfect sense to have your ECU tables retuned to your new setup. I suppose that if you had it custom retuned then you'd see some more difference smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i'm in the exact same boat as lupo_1.0 lad so i know the feelin. due to the numerous reasons you are unable to get that much wanted more powerful motor at this point in time, you desperately want 2 do something you are able to at this present time. i think the best option is to do what i have done and accept the fact you are going to get unnoticable powergains at best from a 1.0litre lump (especially being that you are looking for the 'cheapist mod'). get an induction kit and exhaust and this will make your car at least sound as if its packin somethin a bit beasty under the bonnet. hope that helps