16554 - Fuel Trim: Malfunction: Bank 1

Before I start I have to say this is an excellent forum that has good resources for my lupo gti.

I have given my car a full service a couple a months ago where I have changed plugs leads, coilpack, airfilter, pollen filter,oil and oil filter. my lupo has 71k and i started getting a funny rotten egg smells a couple a weeks ago. done a search on the forums and believe this could be the cat. last week my engine check light came on. I plugged in and ran vag-com and got the error 16554 - Fuel Trim: Malfunction: Bank 1. i have done a serch and came up with:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...mp;#entry425065

so i believe it could be the lambada sensor after the cat thats activated my check light.

So am i right in thinking the engine check light has come on due to the catalytic convert. or is my lambada sensor gone aswell?

Also does anyone know where I can get a cat from?

Bank 1 is pre cat if i remember correctly.

Its probably the sensor thats had it, You might want to try and take it out, clean it with some thinners and a wire wool pad, give it a good blow out with some air and try it again before buying a new one.

Cancel your fault code on it and see if it comes back after that.

John

i got that bank1 overfuelling error on my mk2 1.0. it came down the the sensor on the downpipe being away on it . the ECU light came on in the wet and then went off in the dry.

1 trick i learned was to clean the needle in the carbon canister and that put it out aswell :lol:

• 5 months later...

Mine has done 72k and I have recently been getting egg smells in the cabin. Is this a sure fire bet on the cat being knackerd or can other things cause it? Am I likely to fail the emissions MOT test as it is on wednesday!

Edit - Having thought about it, this has only happended since I replaced my cold air feed with the original pipework. Could the more restrictive pipework be causing it to overfuel which is causing the smell?

Edited by Defcon5

Bank 1 is only relivent if it is a v6 engine ie you would have bank 1 and 2 for to define what side of the engine . Bank 1 on a lupo just means the motor not the probes.

I've never seen that before, loads of cars have bank 1 and bank 2 as pre or post cat only.

Then bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2 if there are 2 lambdas pre/post cat etc.