Car doesn't like me! - Drove it too hard??

Took the car out for a bit of a drive yesterday and thought as I'd never really pushed it that hard I'd give it a good blast about.

Drove it through 3rd and 4th gear to the 6000 rev line before changing up as I've never done that before (usually change at about 5000 rev max for slightly better fuel economy - my lupo drinks it by the tanker load or at least seems to!). The car's a Lupo Sport and the red area doesn't start until 6500 revs.

Any way, after driving about 1/2 mile to work today the milage counter started flashing up with SERV or something before turning back to the milage with the word service left on near the milage figure.

The cars only done 1300 miles since I got it from Reg Vardy who told me it had been fully serviced and the sticker in the cab say service due at 57000 miles (now on 48350).

What's likely to have happened? Anyone else had this problem?

The lupo has timers on the service light for 3 things. If OIL is shown this is usually every 150 days. You then can have INSP which will come up on two occasions , every 360 days or 30000km's. With `Vag-com` this can be reset. VW would prob charge you £35 for the privelige.

QUOTE(tshirt2k)
VW would prob charge you £35 for the privelige.

But not if its under warranty & should have been reset...

As for taking it up to 6,000 rpm... don't worry about that - the GTi has its maximum power output at 6,300 rpm so mine regularly takes a trip up towards the red area!

hi,

yep this just about confirms what I thought but I thought I'd better give the full description of what was happening before it happened and not give my conclusions in case it was just dismissed as that (wanted to hear your comments).

I'm not bothered about ther revs, I knew from reading on here that there was a rev limiter before I got the car and it's never been past the 6500 red line area (agree with you Phlegyas - red looks bad so always change before hitting it!!)

As for £35 for the privilage! Damn that must work out at about £4000 an hour for the time it'd probably take, someone at VW is taking the piss with the pricing structure!

Still I'd better get it done I suppose, been to VW Lincoln a few times as well so maybe they'll take pitty on me and do it a bit cheaper (can always hope). I'll let you know what extortionate charge they hit me for!

Oh and the Reg Vardy I bought from was not a VW, it was a Renault I think but the site was shared with a large used car place that my car came from (both in the reg vardy group).

ha ha, agree with you there mate but I was wondering if it was getting a bit tempramental after giving it a work out. Poor things only had quick journeys to work to deal with lately.

Now I think about it I really need to give it a spin more often while I've got the time before I start the car ICE project and the complete gutting and rebuilding of my house (currently unliveable and needs serious remodernisation before I move in - FUN! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> )

That just adds 15,000km onto it though, which will give the next service warning late (and kinda defeats the point of having a service indicator). Better to get the dealer to sort it properly.

it does ????

hmmm well my car has never been serviced by the dealers and i got it when it had 600 miles on the clock

the first INSP light came on at 1000k , i reset it by the method mentioned above .... then it came on about two weeks ago , 10000 miles later.

maybe i got the special edition ?

DO NOT USE LINCOLN VW AS THEY ARE THE MOST INCOMPETANT CAR DEALER I HAVE EVR EXPERIENCED.

I WOULD NOT ALLOW THEM TO WASH MY CAR, NEVERMIND ACTUALLY WORK ON IT.

QUOTE(Blackrat)
That just adds 15,000km onto it though, which will give the next service warning late (and kinda defeats the point of having a service indicator). Better to get the dealer to sort it properly.

it does ????

According to VW. Don't blame me, I didn't write the ECU software.

If you want to set it more accurately you need the dealer diagnostic tools (or `VAG-COM`).

Would have to agree with you there LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI, after I bought my car I took it in to them for some work to try and stop a rattling noise in the engine compartment (I wasn't paying, Reg Vardy agreed to it as I wouldn't drive back to the nearest one in Doncaster).

After about 3 trips there they finally changed a piece of rubber tubing I think they said that led to the cat??

either way it still didn't sound quite right afterwards, they charged £400+ for the work and claimed they couldn't hear the noise afterwards!

To top it off they also loosened a few panels inside the car to create extra rattles while trying to track down the first one!

Went there about 1 1/2 months ago for a headlight bulb which they fitted for free as they said I was a regular customer (prob felt guilty for what they've been doing to me!) BUT fitted it so the beam shines higher on that side so I dazzle other motorists!

Not really worth the effort of driving there. Luckily the cars a lot happier now, but not from their efforts.

What a Dealer!!