Wanna go? Gotta stop!

Tigz™

Ok first things first.

Big thanks to Darren for the Caliper carriers that I picked up on Staurday, as always the condision is fantastic (my workmate wont belive there not new!)

Just called German sweedish & French car parts about some Mk2 Golf GTi 16v Calipers as there the same as the Loop GTi.

They are £31.50+VAT each but that exchange.

To buy seperate theres £10 extra each caliper.

As Id called him regarding 2x sprinter Cylender heads im needing Im hoping to have the extra £20 knocked off.

My work mate has a set of new braided hoses for a Corrado vr6 that he said I can have.

As Darren used Corrado carriers when upgradeing his brakes he found that the calipers were the same as the Loop GTi. So these should fit also.

All Im needing for the front now is some new front discs and pads... any recomendations?

Guest `sps-si`

we put black diamond discs and pads on matts and he is very happy with them. grooved only i don't like drilled discs as to me this seems like an easy place for cracking and fracture to start.

I have Black Diamond discs cross drilled discs all orund on my car and can also recommend. They are excellent and after 15000 miles look like new still.

My opinion is the opposite of `sps-si` though (no disrespect but just my opinion here). Porche and Merc both fit drilled discs as standard and not grooved so there must be something in that.

Also a drilled disc (with countersunk holes to remove the sharp hole corners and prevent a stress raiser) should be less likely to crack than a grooved disc with slots in which have a sharp corner (only the small tool radius) at the bottom of every groove! And grooved discs eat your pads though that is not really a major problem i suppose!

As Tigy stated...I am using the original Lupo Gti front callipers as they are the same as the G60/Rallye ones I ordered (and then sent back) so no point in changing. Only difference is G60/Rallye discs are 22m wide and Lupo Gti are 25mm wide so my pistons are slightly further out the calliper. This is not a problem however as I fitted VR6 pads which are thicker and so the 1.5mm offset per pad due to thinner discs is compensated for by the pads...therefore in reality my pistons are in the same operating envelope as they were with the standard Lupo Gti brakes. *phew*

Guest `sps-si`

some drilled discs are made correctly but i have seen so many 'cheap performance' brakes i would never want to fit to a car. as long as they are made well and heat treated properly there shouldn't be any issues.

Ok got the price of the calipers down to £29 each, and he said he'll turn a blind eye when I bring my 1 litre calipers as the exchange.

So Black Diamond discs, how much we looking for for a front set?

And Im sick to the back teeth of scubbing the dust off my wheels, I heard Green pads were shte, any other options?

Aye, I have pagid pads, dunno where to get them but the garage I got to fit them uses them lots.

You won't have much luck however much money you spend reducing the amount of dust, but pagid dust seems to be very fine so it doesn't notice as much. I think Tim also has pagid pads looking at his wheels! (they're never clean, but don't look too bad - until someone comes and kicks a load of dust off around the spokes, eh Ross?!)

Guest `sps-si`

FYI....

I had a very long chat with an engineer at EBC today about the problems of having different pad compounds front and rear - he said that this was a really bad thing to do, that they would absoluotely never recommend the Red/Green combination, and that for a car as heavy and powerful as the S2, the Red is the absolute minimum pad spec to use.

The same engineer went on to discuss the view that the most important aspect of improving brake performance is in Friction, and not actually in Caliper power or disc diameter/thickness, and that the classic `big-brake` upgrades can cause as many problems as you think they might solve?

What we did agree on was that `X-drilled` discs are truely bad. He said they actually INCREASE the pad temperature, rather than doing what people think is the opposite - this can lead to premature overheating of the pad, causing premature brake fade, and incrased thermal stress on the disc, which leads to increased chance of the disc cracking.

Ok managed to get myself a set of mk2 GTi Calipers for £30 delivered.

Been a bit of a tight wad really, not buying new, but sod it, cars still under the £1000 in mods mark and I want to keep it there.

All I need now, is some discs and pads, and Im away...

I also use Pagid pads front and rear. Brake dust is noticable but much less than with std pads. Had EBC green on my race mini and they were pretty good to be fair...not much dust either.

Sorry but still cant agree on the drilled disc thing. Porche and AMG are known for the best braking systems in the world...they both use cross drilled discs...not grooved...surely their engineers must have done lots of research.

Big brake kits are generally regarded as carrying the STD callipers with larger discs. Mainly for looks.

For a proper upgrade larger discs AND uprated callipers. But you can find with small wheels that going for something OTT will be useless as you will just lock the wheels too easy.

Bare in mind cheap crap discs and pads will do nothing for your braking performance.

Discs are drilled to allow heat to disapiate off the discs quicker. Discs are grooved to keep deglazing the pads under braking. The point with these is that people go over the top on their cars with 105 grooves on a disc... what area is left for the calliper to clap down on?? IMO i would have a light grooving on a set of discs ie 6 odd grooves.