Arosa TDI 280mm Brakes

Nugget

Hello,

Before anyone asks I have searched to find the answer to this but not really found anything conclusive, so perhaps someone can help me out and give me the definitive answer regarding what is required to fit 280mm brakes to my 02 Arosa TDI, as opinion seems to differ between replacement of hub assembly, and the other solution which is to fit 280mm caliper carriers.

Also, I carried this mod out on my old Mk2 Golf and upgraded the master cylinder to a 22mm dia one, does the GTI Lupo have a larger bore ID master cylinder, if so is it compatable with the TDI?

One final question, the reason I am interested in doing this is because the brake pedal although not spongy isn't great and has fairly long travel and lacks initial bite, is this normal for Arosa/Lupo brakes?

Cheers

Already done by the previous owner, the thing is I know how awesome the 280mm set up is on the Mk2 which is a similar weight, the braking power was incredible and had loads of feel, and that was only with standard albeit new VAG parts (discs and pads) so I'm looking to achieve the same result on the Arosa.

As far as I'm aware all of the TDI's were fitted with the same 256mm x 20mm brakes as on the Arosa/Lupo sport.

This means that you can simply upgrade the caliper carriers and the discs.

I did the same on my lupo TDI. It did make a nice bit of difference.

Whats the size of the stock MC on a non gti or without ABS

It can be any of the following: 20.64mm, 22.2mm or 23.81mm

Gti's have 23.81 as they all have abs.

not sure what the others will have, but its either of the other two above.

John

Hello,

Before anyone asks I have searched to find the answer to this but not really found anything conclusive, so perhaps someone can help me out and give me the definitive answer regarding what is required to fit 280mm brakes to my 02 Arosa TDI, as opinion seems to differ between replacement of hub assembly, and the other solution which is to fit 280mm caliper carriers.

Cheers

the hubs on a TDi are the same as the hubs on the sport and GTi mate

"280mm discs up front and drums at the back?

Good luck!"

No probs at all, due to the weight distribution and transfer of load to the front wheels under braking upgrading the fronts will only improve overall braking performance, the only effect it may have is the ability to lock the fronts under extreme braking, however the fact that I will be using a larger disc (bigger effective lever) this will result in an ability to better modulate the braking, and an overall better performing brake.

Because of the weight transfer under braking rear brakes whether they be disc or drum are designed to have only 20-30% of the braking force of the front brakes.

280mm discs up front and drums at the back?

Good luck!

Had the exact same setup on my lupo with no issues at all !

Remember the rear only does between 5% and 20% of the braking!

I've seen lots of cars out there with Humongous front discs on big brake kits and standard rear discs and those people never have any issues!

At this point I am tempted to use my 20 years experience and qualifications as a professional mechanical engineer, and the equivalent time spent modifying cars correctly in my spare time, to explain both practically and mathematically how the effect of upgrading to G60 brakes will have a resultant enhancement of the overall braking force and modulation with no detriment to the dynamics of the car under braking, and thereby attempt to eliminate any further conjecture and opinion on the subject …but I can’t be bothered. :wacko: