About to be written off - what can I remove?

Cliveski

My Fabia is being inspected tomorrow following a rear-end impact. The sills are crumpled and it looks set to be written-off.

Is there anything I can take from the car before it goes for scrap? I was thinking about taking the alloys off and putting steel on. Also it has tax until October - what will happen to that?

If anyone has a Polo / Fabia / Bora TDi for sale I could be interested too . . . :)

you can get a refund on your tax if u send the disk back if i remember right

Correct.

Anything you remove will make it worth less when they try and settle with you because they will assume that was the state the car was in before the accident. Therefore only remove items that are worth more sold separately than they would have been as part of the car.

You have to hand the car over as it was insured, so if the car has alloys as standard, they should be there when they take it away.

Correct.

You can discuss with the insurance company/assessor how much it would cost you to buy the alloys back though - might not be much at all.

Thank you for the advice. I asked the inspector if I could keep the alloy wheels (there are five with as new tyres) if I replaced them with steel wheels and hub caps - he said yes :) he would only let me keep the stereo if I fitted a replacement (otherwise they would reduce the price of the car) and I can cash the road tax in on the day he comes to collect it (so it's legal until then).

The alloys are worth £200 to me so even if they reduced the price I doubt they would reduce it this much?