Buyers guide

Glupo

Hi, as title I am going to look at a 1.4S tomorrow. It has low mileage and fsh. Being reasonably mech minded, what should I check over?

Thank you please

P.S. Just watched an encouraging youtube vid of the 'W12' on full pelt and a few 1.4 clips to get me going...

burning oil ,poor gear change , break pedal lower than clutch, pedal box, rear wiper motors can fail, and rust blisters along roof guttering. hope you find a good one.

They are reliable enough and if its been looked after rust shouldnt be a problem.

Only issue I had, was the car would not idle properly, but cleaning the throttle body cleared that problem.

I haved owned it just over 2 years and its only needed a back box and tyres. :shades:

They are reliable enough and if its been looked after rust shouldnt be a problem.

Only issue I had, was the car would not idle properly, but cleaning the throttle body cleared that problem.

I haved owned it just over 2 years and its only needed a back box and tyres. :shades:

rust in the roof guttering is from inside out so has nothing to do with being looked after i'm afraid, just poor build .

rust in the roof guttering is from inside out so has nothing to do with being looked after i'm afraid, just poor build .

Can the roof lining be removed to see this, or is the guttering not reachable (sealed panel). Im Interested in this, if its common problem I would like to try and prevent it. Thanks :confused:

Cambelt change can be expensive and needs doing every 40k/4 years whichever comes soonest.

My rear drum brakes used to 'glaze' on my 1.4's and be noisy under braking - needed deglazing/cleaning.

I had several flexi-pipe's go on the front exhaust section which needed replacing (about £180 if I remember correctly as the CAT is attached to the front section). Listen out for a rattle like a metal pea in a tin when the car is coasting and slowing down.

Key codes can be useful. Electric window motors sometimes go.

Hi when i purchased my loopo..the door was off the hinges so it felt like the door was dropping....but that can be fixed by tightening the hinges....and yes i needed to service mine because the previous owner didnt and missed the 30k one i think...cant quite remember....

so yeh check the door! but thats a common problem i heard

• 2 weeks later...