Custom Manifold

davidp

:confused: this is how i feel atm. today i went to get my custom 4-1 manifold fitted, its taken 3 weeks to make. droped the car off and the guy told me it should be ready tomo so i handed him the keys and walked away happy. a few mins later i got a phonecall of the bloke saying ive just took the cover off and you allready have a tubular manifold fitted :blink: at this point im like abit shocked, he then goes there is no point fitting your custom one because you wont see any power gains or anything. he didnt charge me the £450, but im confused.

:confused: this is how i feel atm. today i went to get my custom 4-1 manifold fitted, its taken 3 weeks to make. droped the car off and the guy told me it should be ready tomo so i handed him the keys and walked away happy. a few mins later i got a phonecall of the bloke saying ive just took the cover off and you allready have a tubular manifold fitted :blink: at this point im like abit shocked, he then goes there is no point fitting your custom one because you wont see any power gains or anything. he didnt charge me the £450, but im confused.

well yeah it is a tubular mani but its about as free flowing as hoverdam

:lol:

why you going 4 into 1 rather than 4/2/1 ?

Edited by noddy

the 4-1 is better and the longer the 4-1 goes on then the better gains but your standard exhaust has already got a 4-1 but the 4 too the 1 is only about 7inchs long lol confusing ano but people will understand if they know a bit of exhaust's

I'm no expert, but to me that doesn't look aftermarket, i would have thought that an aftermarket manifold would be stainless steel. Even the £100 Raceland manifolds are stainless.

they should of checked before hand, unless its a aftermarket one, get it fitted as i bet youll see loads of difference our manis are 2,2into 1 arnt they?

no the are 4-1 as you can see from the pic he has put up and if it was 2-1 then it would only be a 2 cylinder engine

Edited by rosscarbry

Manifold choice is dependent on useage and what you want from the car. I have read;

For peak bhp figures and track use when the engine is kept revving hard that 4 into 1 is supposedly better.

But for road use and better alround drivability (more torque) across the whole rev range then 4.2.1. is better.

Custom chrome is around the corner from me, Ive heard fairly good comments from that company. I would never get a company to fit a manifold, just get a raceland or a gti manifold and decat and your well away.

A raceland one that doesn't fit properly and are a pain in the arse to modify to fit? Some exhaust companies won't fit aftermarket stuff, only their own custom exhausts.

Why would you not get a company to git a manifold?

that mani is a 4 branch :S. strange, mine is x2 2 going into 1 then those 2 tubes going into 1,

I was looking at sorting my manifold but have the same one as davidp.

So what were getting at here, is there will be no real inprovement from spending the money on an aftermarket mani?

Im better off with a sport cat system from the manifold the rear.

that mani is a 4 branch :S. strange, mine is x2 2 going into 1 then those 2 tubes going into 1,

yes that is a 4-2-1 manifold! no matter what if your car has a 4 cylinder engine the exhaust branch will always start with four pipes coming from the head then in to 2 then 1 or 4 pipes in to 1 i know what u mean by x2 2 going into 1 then those 2 tubes going into 1 its just the design of the manifold but it is a 4-2-1 manifold!

A raceland one that doesn't fit properly and are a pain in the arse to modify to fit? Some exhaust companies won't fit aftermarket stuff, only their own custom exhausts.

Why would you not get a company to git a manifold?

Costs money, why pay a garage a couple of hours labour ( £45 Pr Hour ). Anydoy can fit one as long as you dont mind getting a little grubby.

Costs money, why pay a garage a couple of hours labour ( £45 Pr Hour ). Anydoy can fit one as long as you dont mind getting a little grubby.

Raceland manifolds don't fit properly. They need to be bent to fit. A decent custom one is better than a Raceland.