meteor hit the earth

kingcorn

the meteor has been confirmed to have impacted planet earth. it broke up in the atmosphere releasing between the equivalent of 1 and 2 kilotons of TNT. multiple shards may have hit the ground as meteorites. in Kenya an infrasound detector picked up the signals indicating the energy strength. it was travelling at 12.8 km/s, at 1 kiloton of energy it would need to have been a minimum of 50 tons in mass.

the KLM flight that reported seeing a flash was 1000km away at the time. more reports have been said to witness a fireball. there are still no images yet, hopefully someone somewhere captured a shot of it in Africa.

the point im making is that you made it sound like bloody armageddon... or deep impact accept deep impact was crap in comparison! Anyway... it was evidently a lot less severe than deep impact, and things hit the planet all the time its just that most of them break up so its not a massive deal really is it?

well the remarkable aspect is that we now have proven that we can spot a previously unknown object and predict its course and provide a warning in very little time. this was a first in the history of humanity. the object was only a small distance away just beyond the moon by comparison, and it was recorded, calculated and publicised very quickly. its good news.

the same process will work for more dangerous objects. although it wouldnt have been enought time to clear an entire city. the estimated impact time was very accurate. impressive stuff.

You can't really trust 'the media' though.

They'll put something like Britney Spears with her minge hanging out on the front page and then about 10 pages in after other various celebs have done idiotic things there will be something thats actually interesting to read.

"multiple shards', wow thats going to do some damage. If it was 50 tons before it broke up in the atmosphere thats the equivalent of a grain of rice in space, not even worth reporting; probably why it wasnt!

its one of the most important news items in a long time. maybe your fixated on injury and death?

Maybe so, I'm doing a masters degree in Climate Change and Rick Management so maybe the imminent death of mankind is fixated in my mind.

meteosat_strip2.gif

this is the impact picked by a weather satellite, it observed it in wavelengths from 0.5 to 14 microns, covering all 12 spectral channels of the satellite sensors.

actual ground images are said to be doubtful as it was in such a sparsely populated region of Africa.

it may not be long before a bigger object is detected and then "the popular media" may be forced to report on it.

Maybe so, I'm doing a masters degree in Climate Change and Rick Management so maybe the imminent death of mankind is fixated in my mind.

thats good, have you done a study on climate change after a large asteroid impact? its going to happen some time.

Edited by kingcorn

thats good, have you done a study on climate change after a large asteroid impact? its going to happen some time.

Havnt looked into that directly. There isnt much worry about that there are much more pressing matters in hand, that we have had evidence from the past, that will affect our climates dramatically.

i am interested in global climate change also, particularly ocean levels. recently its been said that the polar melt waters will take upto 50 years to actually give their full volume of water ( if they were to fully melt) to the rest of the oceans due to it being trapped from currents and temperatures. as always though there are counters to the speculation.

this was said to be good news for pacific islanders who live at near sea level. but i think it just means they will get it as more of a sharp shock when it does come.

i am interested in global climate change also, particularly ocean levels. recently its been said that the polar melt waters will take upto 50 years to actually give their full volume of water ( if they were to fully melt) to the rest of the oceans due to it being trapped from currents and temperatures. as always though there are counters to the speculation.

this was said to be good news for pacific islanders who live at near sea level. but i think it just means they will get it as more of a sharp shock when it does come.

Thats possibly true, however I dont think it would take the full volume of, for example, the arctic ice cap to cause catastrophic events. Its not only the rise in sea level which has consequences, but more likely the salinity of the Ocean. For example the '8,200 year event' after the last proper ice age (the Younger Dryas) was a consequence of massive warming of ice caps in Canada which got trapped and then released into the N Atlantic (the extent of the ice coverage back then was much more than it is now, but i'm just showing an example).

The first catastrophic event of this dumping of melt water was the sea level. The UK experienced its biggest ever Tsunami as a consequence of this. As the sea level rose it put pressure on sea vaults in the N Sea and managed to caused a shift in the vault. This displacement of water caused a 40m wave to hit the Shetland. The sea level rise at this period also caused the Mediterranean Sea to join with the Black Sea. The effects of this sort of change on all the other cycles (water cycle, ocean currents, vegetation effects etc.) is inconceivable.

The other effect of dumping so much melt water is the desalinization of oceans. This changes ocean currents and therefore changes the climates of areas that depend on these currents.

^^^

LMAO

hopefully his own head will fall off instead, bloody cutlery ruining fool, how annoying would that be at a dinnerparty, you wouldnt get past the soup because uri bloody gellar had ruined all the spoons!! Could he not turn his attention to knives or would he cut his toes off when the end bends over and falls off?

mind-spoon-bending fool that he is!!!

Edited by treblet