brakes binding

paulbin

ok guys another one for you, since i had my loop i can hear my brakes rubbing, wen i go down a narrow road with buildings either side you can hear it more because, today my dad took it off hte drive and told me they seem to be binding, is this something that anyone has experienced in the past??

Have had same problem, i have found that if i leave my Loop standing on the drive for a couple of days with handbrake applied, when I come to use it find that the rear brakes have usually stuck on. This more pronounced in the wet weather.After setting off they usually clear after a while, On first application tho, they sound awful. Checked them out and all ok.Have got 1.4 16 valve with discs all round. Gather they are prone to this problem.I dont worry got used to it now. Hope this helps you.

Same thing for me. Sound terrible if it's been raining! My 1.0 had a persitant and apparently unfixable squeaking front brake. Had new discs and pads but it made no difference!

take it out for a thrash and use the brakes till hte abs triggers, this should make sure that the brakes unbind unless they are completely jammed. Common problem on light cars with disks all round, don't tend to use the rears very hard, just have to make sure you use them more wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

thought you only had drums on the back biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> or did you have binding front disks? Can't be driving hard enough lol

I used to get something similar with the two 1.4 S I owned - I think it was because I parked on a slope? The rear drums were pretty noisy and I ended up having a rear brake `re-work` which cured the problem for me. I now own a Sport with discs `all-round` and I have never had the same problem (I still park on the slope).

The rear pads on my Gti were totally siezed solid.

The pads were stuck in the ****ty runners on the callipers, just with all the crap that builds up over time & the fact the rear brakes dont do much work anyhows.

All I had to do was knock the pads out & give the runners a good clean up. Half hours work & made a huge difference.