My Wheel Refurb

akbarirfan

Hi Guys,

I am planning on refurbing some alloys I picked up..I read a few posts on here very recently about some people that did theirs..they were like guides and now I cannot find them...does anybody know where they have gone?

The only thing I can do right now is sand them down, which I will do.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by akbarirfan

Hi Guys,

I am planning on refurbing some alloys I picked up..I read a few posts on here very recently about some people that did theirs..they were like guides and now I cannot find them...does anybody know where they have gone?

The only thing I can do right now is sand them down, which I will do.

Thanks for any help.

Get the paint stripper onto them before you sand them, makes it a lot easier

What are you doing? Polishing or painting?

If you're painting you don't want to use paint stripper.

Give them a good clean, sand out any kerb marks and key the whole surface of the wheel with wet and dry.

If there's any bits of bare metal you'll need to paint those bits with acid etch primer.

Then a couple of coats of primer.

Couple of coats of colour.

Couple of coats of lacquer.

Try to keep on top of cleaning the wheels once they're done, as brake dust will eat into the paint a lot easier than it would do with powdercoat.

Ahh no notifications..

Yeh I plan to paint them..yeh thanks Phil thats great, been chatting to a dude called Paul on Club Polo, he did some Audi alloys, polished them..but I just wanted some advice.

Can normal grey primer not go on to bare metal? I thought that was what it was for.

Is acid etch primer the same as self etch primer? Also anybody tried epoxy?

Thanks.

Edited by akbarirfan

Hi Guys,

I bought a set of multispokes in bad condition to try out the refurb process.

So far we have sanded down the wheels with 80 grit sand paper and got all the blemishes out we could with that. I also had to file down some very bad kerbing marks. We then used Chemical Metal to fill the kerbings marks and any other blemishes.

Here is the progress so far:

Original1.jpg

Original2.jpg

Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

Image063.jpg

Image064.jpg

Image065.jpg

Image066.jpg

Image067.jpg

The next steps are to sand it down with 80 grit again, then work my way through up to larger grits i.e. finer sand paper.

Then coat each wheel with etch primer, 1 coat per wheel because that stuff is too expensive!

Then 2-3 coats of primer and leave for 24 hours to harden. Then key the surface by sanding.

I need to choose a colour to do the wheels in, when I have then do 2-3 coats per wheel.

Finally 2-3 coats of clear laquer!

Hopefully the results will be good!

Edited by akbarirfan

I am not too sure, everyone just seems to use normal car paint, but I think the important park it keying the primer.

Update 23-07-08

We have put some more chemical metal on each wheel where applicable.

Will take some more pics when we have sannded them down again..

2307081.jpg

2307082.jpg

2307083.jpg

2307084.jpg

Edited by akbarirfan

Update 23-07-08 part 2

We have now sanded with 400 grit, partially wet partially dry.

Next step is to sand with 800...then hopefully get the acid etch primer on.

Here are the pictures of tonights activities

2307085.jpg

2307086.jpg

2307087.jpg

2307088.jpg

Update 24-07-08

I have sanded all the wheels with 1200 and then rinsed them before I took the pictures:

2407081.jpg

2407082.jpg

2407083.jpg

2407084.jpg

The colour I have chosen is either Graphite Grey Metallic or Anthracite Grey Pearl, now just got to find out where to get them from.

I would remove the valves too, can do it with a stanley knife from the back.

Would just give a lot better finish, as they're a bugger to mask of and get even paint coverage around.

They're only cheap when you get the tyres fitted back on.

Remember to take the wheel weights off the back too, as new ones need to be fitted when you get the tyres fitted anyway and you'll end up with an unpainted patch. :doh:

Oh it is safe to reove them? Ok willd o that tomorrow.

Yeh all the weights have been taken off.

What do I do with regards to cleaning them before I put the etch primer on? White spirit? Washing up liquid?

Thanks.

Yeah, it's nothing to get new valves fitted.

I never even did that when painting mine, just wiped all the dust off with a clotch and painted. Did buy some tack clothes but they seemed more trouble than they were worth.

Update 25-07-08 Part 1

We have just sprayed the wheels with U-Pol Acid Etch primer, for some reason it was not spraying out correctly, I do not know why but we got there in the end.

Next step, primer x 3 coats

2507081.jpg

2507082.jpg

2507083.jpg

2507084.jpg

Been a bit busy but here are the latest update, we have finished everything, just need some tyres now!

A few things to reflect on:

Do not sand with a low grit where it is not needed, we made this mistake and now have scratches in places that were perfect!

Try to sand with the highest grit possible, will make the job a lot easier finish wise.

If you are a first time refurber, pick some easier wheels, I do not think they get much ahrder than multispokes!

Pictures before lacquer:

2707083.jpg

2707081.jpg

2707082.jpg

2707084.jpg

2707085.jpg

Pictures after lacquer:

2707086.jpg

2707087.jpg

2707088.jpg

2707089.jpg

27070810.jpg

Edited by akbarirfan

Nice job, it's worth the effort in the end isn't it? :lol:

Just did the same thing though, keyed the surface with a far too rough sandpaper, now I'm gonna have to go back over it to get the deep scratches out. Bugger. :(