Rust coming through

Just cleaning the car tonight and noticed the paint bubbling on the drivers side rear window nearest the petrol cap, just by the rubber.

The car is now 3 years old, If its still under paint warranty, do you just contact your local VW dealer ??

Are Lupo GTi's made in other country's like the problems MK4 Golf's have with paint problems ??

I believe you can tell by the chassis no.

Sounds very unusual...

Paint warranty is only for 3 years, however they have a 12 year corrosion perforation warranty.

If you see any sign of rust, you MUST tell VW straight away for this warranty to work.

They may just correct it anyway, if they think it'll perforate in 9 years.

Should be covered I think. Sounds like a problem with corrosion! Seems unusual though, specially on a modern galvanised car!

• 1 month later...

*old post bought back up again alert*

Any conclusion on the rust front RallyeBaz? Or anyone who might know?

Reason being, I've got what looks to be rust "brewing" (well the paints bubbling!) in 2 places on my car sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Darren and Paul worked it out to be where you'd fit roof bars - on the actual roof panel next to the `groove-bit` above the door.

Above drivers door is worse and a tiny bit visible on the back `roof-bar` area too.

Going to delight VW with my pressense Monday morning but dreading them saying its not under the 12yr warranty thing sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Anyone know the small print?

It's an anti corrosion perforation warranty.

You MUST tell them about the rust as soon as it's apparent.

If the rust penetrates the roof within 12 years, they have to fix it.

If they think it will penetrate within 12 years, there's a good chance they'll fix it anyway to save them a bigger job down the road.

Oh, and if it's still less than 3 years old, any paint imperfections have to be dealt with anyway.

Monday: headed to VW via a professional body/repair place for them to check my car...to be told yep it's defo some kinda corrosion, he checked along both sides of car along the roof, and thinks other areas feel abit 'suspicious'.

Went to VW @ Kidlington and got told to go to VW in Oxford for them to have a look as they got a bodyshop there. (Oxford at 9:30 in the morning don't mix!)

Found a guy to have a look...he then needed the "warranty man" to have a look...only for him to say, a "paint warranty bloke" needs to come and assess it properly...and yep you guessed it...this paint guy is a nationwide person, so gotta wait for an appointment with him. Was told a couple of weeks wait!

For those who haven't seen the issue at hand...look closely...

PICT0435small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

PICT0436small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Nice huh?! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Will keep you posted...