Clutch cable??

M_G

Hi All

I have had a good search & cant find the answer, are all Lupo's fitted with auto adjust clutch cables?

I think my cable has gone or at least I am hoping its that... I phoned VW UK and they told me if its the box thing I will have to pay for it myself

car is a 2000 and has only done 55 thousand miles :-(

any help is really appreciated

Thanks

M_G and a poorly Larry Lupo

You'll know if the clutch cable has gone - big bang and suddenly no clutch at all. But you can confirm by looking down the right of the engine at the top of the gearbox, the cable attaches to a lever, and when mine went the spring-section fell off and flew out from under my car!

If it's the box, don't listen to VW too much - print out the info on here, take it down, and be firm that its a known problem and you want a goodwill repair (or at least a contribution, as last I heard it was for cars up to 6 years old but yours hasn't done many miles)

• Like 1

Hi All

I have had a good search & cant find the answer, are all Lupo's fitted with auto adjust clutch cables?

Nope, only TDis and GTis have a self adjusting clutch.

Which model is yours.

If it is your pedal box on its way or has gone, id ring a few VW dealers, give them your reg number and see if they will cover it, some do, some dont!

Thank you :-( I dont think it is the cable after your reply, I can kinda get gears easier changing up but first does not want to play right now.. It has been lumpy since I bought it and last night wouldnt change down without alot of effort..

I will print off the box thing on here and take it along I've only just replaced the motor in the drivers door so am very poor

blooming thing has a full VW service history I am just worried what will go wrong next please tell me I have not bought a lemon

A scared and poor MG and laughing Larry

Nope, only TDis and GTis have a self adjusting clutch.

Which model is yours.

If it is your pedal box on its way or has gone, id ring a few VW dealers, give them your reg number and see if they will cover it, some do, some dont!

Its a 2000 1.4 (says lupo s on log book) I have phoned 3 close to me one promised to contact VW for me and ring me back (fingers crossed) the others said no problem with them and there has never even been a recall on the polo's (lying rats) so I will travel the extra miles to the helpful VW garage

I think its the clutch cable on right hand side of engine which attaches to an arm its got a black top- spring- nuts... Sadly I live on my own and have no bricks or friends so cant be sure its the right bit

I am rubbish you can see why I need help

Thanks

Pedal boxes are common on 1.4s unfortunately.

Is your clutch feeling heavy? If it is that puts more strain on your clutch, so you may want to renew your cable or/and the clutch to prevent it happening again. Although only if they feel they need doing.

Quite a few on here have had their pedal boxes done free of charge by VW dealers.

Have a search around the forum, there are a few recent threads on it, see if any of the VW dealers usedare near to you.

Tell tales signs are often: Crunching into gear, hard to select gears, clutch sits lower than the brake pedal and if you get hold of the clutch pedal and try wobble it it will. ALso the clutch wont really feel like a clutch anymore, the bite will often be low.

:)

Pedal boxes are common on 1.4s unfortunately.

Is your clutch feeling heavy? If it is that puts more strain on your clutch, so you may want to renew your cable or/and the clutch to prevent it happening again. Although only if they feel they need doing.

Quite a few on here have had their pedal boxes done free of charge by VW dealers.

Have a search around the forum, there are a few recent threads on it, see if any of the VW dealers usedare near to you.

Tell tales signs are often: Crunching into gear, hard to select gears, clutch sits lower than the brake pedal and if you get hold of the clutch pedal and try wobble it it will. ALso the clutch wont really feel like a clutch anymore, the bite will often be low.

:)

I have found a VW dealer (Vindis st Ives) who out of five dealers phoned are the only ones to admit that there is a problem with them and are applying to VW for goodwill for me :D ... All the others denied everything :rolleyes:

So he goes in on the 17th I have asked for the clutch cable to be changed at the same time I think the clutch plates are ok but to change gear I now have to press to the floor and then some :o

I am looking forward to having a proper Lupo

Thanks again

Mary x

• 5 months later...
I have found a VW dealer (Vindis st Ives) who out of five dealers phoned are the only ones to admit that there is a problem with them and are applying to VW for goodwill for me :D ... All the others denied everything :rolleyes:

So he goes in on the 17th I have asked for the clutch cable to be changed at the same time I think the clutch plates are ok but to change gear I now have to press to the floor and then some :o

I am looking forward to having a proper Lupo

Thanks again

Mary x

Hi Mary, its been a while but out of interest did you get it sorted?