New Job!

ArosaMike

Just been offered a job at Triumph! Finish my degree in August and starting in Sept, so any of you bike nuts on here....get buying a Speed Triple or a 675 :P Really looking forward to starting and might find it hard to resist the generous discount I'll get on a bike! LOL Not that the family would be too happy at my moving to two wheels ;)

Edited by ArosaMike

Just been offered a job at Triumph! Finish my degree in August and starting in Sept, so any of you bike nuts on here....get buying a Speed Triple or a 675 :P Really looking forward to starting and might find it hard to resist the generous discount I'll get on a bike! LOL Not that the family would be too happy at my moving to two wheels ;)

i have a triumph at the moment. test rode a daytona 675 last year, loved it.

Yeah the 675 is a great bike. Love the sound of the thing particularly. Which bike have you got then? Spotted a Speed Triple the other day which looked pretty awesome. Very compact compared to a lot of Jap bikes.

Yup. A fairly decent discount on everything they make, although I obviously can't take the piss too much :P I believe most of them buy various bits quite regularly so I'm sure I might be able to sort some people out with the odd part here and there :)

They're really expanding at the moment, so chances are, they'll be recruiting fairly intensively over the next couple of years. Whilst Honda and Yamaha are struggling for sales, Triumph are actually increasing!

Initially, before I started applying, I was pretty set on wanting to go into car design, but when it came down to it, if you go into a company like Jag or Bentley, you will be one of many and will be working on a tiny part of the car. I'm not joking when I say you could be designing door locks! I got through to the final interviews for Bentley and Jaguar and had an invite to interview from Zytek Race Engines yesterday. Once I'd had some experience of what it's like at Triumph though, it was definitely my first choice.

As for the 'ease' of getting through, being a small company, Triumph are looking for people that will fit in in their office. There are only 100 engineers in the whole company and these are split into groups of about 10 designing the engine, gearbox, chassis, suspension settings, fairings, electronics etc so it's pretty important that everyone gets on and has a similar method of working. It suits me down to the ground because from the experience I've had in Formula Student, something I really love is starting off with an idea and seeing all the way through to production and testing. You'll struggle to find any big industrial companies that will let you do that. The Bentley job for example was for a job working in their Noise Vibration and Harshness department which would have involved sitting in cars and test chambers recording noise levels. Interesting for a while, but pretty samey.

My biggest piece of advice for any interview for a job that's got a lot of competition is to make sure that you really want it! If you're really interested in the work they do it'll come through and they'll see you're keen to work on what they do. A friend of mine already works at Triumph in the powertrain division and he said that the main things they look for are a decent understanding of engineering and a good approach to work.

My official job title will be something like Junior Design Engineer and I'll be working on chassis and suspension design so that'll involve coming up with some aims right at the concept stage, trying to achieve them in design and then testing them on prototype bikes on the track and road. They do something like 5,000 miles testing on track with every bike!

Sounds fantastic. With a company like that it'll be easier to stand out to, so if you want it, I would assume theres plenty of chances to advance within the company.

Dont quite know what I want to go into when I graduate, will have had 2 summers working with British Nuclear Group after this summer, its not something I want to do, but atleast I know that now, and its quite a good company to put on my CV.

I live 5 miles down the road from Malcolm Wilsons M-Sport, so early next year im going to write to them to see if theres a position either for a summer placement or just a shadowing oppurtunity.

Sounds fantastic. With a company like that it'll be easier to stand out to, so if you want it, I would assume theres plenty of chances to advance within the company.

Dont quite know what I want to go into when I graduate, will have had 2 summers working with British Nuclear Group after this summer, its not something I want to do, but atleast I know that now, and its quite a good company to put on my CV.

I live 5 miles down the road from Malcolm Wilsons M-Sport, so early next year im going to write to them to see if theres a position either for a summer placement or just a shadowing oppurtunity.

Yeah....they aim to get you to a position of responsibility within 4-6 years. The benefits are really good too. £25k starting salary and after 2 years with them they start to pay off your student loan £3k at a time!

The thing with motorsport is you really have to have no other hobbies. I would still like to get into it eventually, but I also want to do a bit of racing myself, and that'd be impossible with anything like F1, GP2, WRC etc. One of the best things you can do if you want to get a good job in motorsport is to have a good engineering job during the week, then volunteer for people racing in national motorsport at weekends. After a year or so, you can then perhaps move up to Formula Renault or something and with your engineering experience you can hopefully engineer for a driver. Find someone half decent and you're looking at a great way to illustrate your talents whilst proving yourself as a good engineer and earning a salary during the week.