What head unit!

I need some help on head units, ICE isnt something I want to spend a lot on - Id prefer the money go on tuning & styling stuff but at the same time the standard h/u has gotta go.....

Ive got some decent 6x9's I want to use so Ill be buying a stealth shelf and considering an Alpine `CDA-9812RR` cos it seems well specced for £250 & a quality make.......doesnt look all that flash though so anyone got any other suggestions? I even thought about just getting an Alpine `CDE-9822RB` cos theyre only £135 and Id have a bit more £££ for other stuff......

I need some good advice from people who know their stuff!

I have a pioneer (`DHE-P5530MP`), had it for about `1-2` years and never had any problems with it. It sounds fantastic, looks cool and plays mp3 so you can get a few albums on a `cd-r`. Also doesn’t skip when going over speed bumps etc fast.

OK a headunit is a headunit if you wanna do something propally, as you wont be useing the h/u's on bourd amp, but an external amp.

I would ditch the 6x9 on a stelth shelf idea as you will never get a good sound from them, you'd be better off spending some time making some MDF baffels and upgradeing the front componants.

If I had my car back Id let you have a listen, to show you there is no need for anyone to have rear speakers, if you set up your fronts right.

Back to head units, a headunit is all about looks, most have the same sort of features nowaday, just stay clear of Sony, and go for what you think looks the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree, I would've agreed, 2 years ago, then I bought the top notch md player and was almightily impressed. The sound quality you cannot fault. The reliabilty is what i was worried about, with every previous sony product i've bought broken 2 days after the warranty was void, but this ones still mint. Saying that it probably wont work tommorow!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had soooo many duff sony products I wont even consider them as an option. the 6x9 option will probably go ahead cos the gf is running them in her arosa and i have to say they sound awesome, although she also has a sub.....at the same time i would really like to sort out the front ones, how can I stop them rattling? Is there any kind of easy(ish) fix for these? - that is withougb building custom doorcards. - and what would be a good set of front speakers?

Sony do seem to have lost all cred in the ICE industry at the moment.

I would argue that the quality of the headunit is still important even if you are using external amplifiers - there's still the CD pickup accuracy, MP3 decoder chip used (if MP3 unit) and most importantly, the digital to analog output stage that affect quality.

QUOTE(ArosaDan)
I've had soooo many duff sony products I wont even consider them as an option. the 6x9 option will probably go ahead cos the gf is running them in her arosa and i have to say they sound awesome, although she also has a sub.....at the same time i would really like to sort out the front ones, how can I stop them rattling? Is there any kind of easy(ish) fix for these?  - that is withougb building custom doorcards. - and what would be a good set of front speakers?

Tigz mentioned some tape or something when I complained about this to him at Festy, but I've forgotten what it was! The rattling is driving me crazy too - help us Tigz! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

sorted now, bought an Alpine 9822 RB....it doesnt have lots of flashing lights, its doesnt have 3000 motorised parts and it doesnt have 793 features that I'll never learn to use.....just a simple unit that plays cds with good quality sound and has red & blue illumination that looks cool. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

sorry matt wasnt a personal dig. my gfs got a sony h/u thats been perfect (ish) apart from the wierd dust thats appeared on the display.....I just seem to have come across a bad run of sony stuff, including an md player, my old head unit, my mates head unit, headphones, a portable cd player, my gfs hi fi, and a £1700 widescreen tv...oh and 2 video players.

....kind of put me off the brand thats all.

Sony make excellent `in-home` products, and their `hi-fi` gear and TVs, etc are excellent quality. The brand just sells on the name alone. Sony is synonymous with quality.

This association is what sells their ICE. Reputation.

Unfortunately, the reserach and development team don't bother about the ICE. They just mass produce tat that basically "does the job" and no more. The quality isn't great, but the Sony badge is there, so the public will buy it. It is expensive for what it does, and much better deals are out there.

Their gear is aimed at the common kev, and for those who don't know any better, Sony is where it's at.

Advertising slogans such as:

"Maybe you like your music to be relaxing. Or maybe you like to shatter greenhouses and set off car alarms."

... and...

"With 1000w, you're sure not to be the only person hearing it."

cant say i agree with that, theyve got a really bad reputation for 'proper' hi fi, the Tv's are ok and I think the thing with the head units that makes them so popular is that they are very flashy in that they have lots of features for the price of the unit (when comparing to other manufacturers) & most are aesthetically ahead of the competition.....

Its like how people might see an advert for a vauxhall corsa and think "its got way more features than others at this price and comes with free insurance and you see loads of them around unlike those VW Lupo's...... so it must be good"

...and those adverts Tigz are directed completely at people who really dont have a clue about decent products.

Dude seriously the fetures that Sony offer are avalble on every budget Alpine on Pionner unit.

You find me a Sony headunit, and give me the model number and price and I will find the equivelant priced Alpine and ponner unit and prove to you that you get at least the same fetures for you money. Fetures are all well and good, but when a product only last 18 months what is the point?

My Alpine is over 3 year old now, and still out preforms most Sony/Kenwood headunits on the market now.

These fancy displays are all well and good, but its more to go wrong, and at the end of the day, if the sound produced is ***** what is the point in useing it as your source station?

If you ask Pm Loudlupo and ask him which big name manufactor (and lets not be mistaken Sony is one of the biggest names in car audio because of the markettng scam, and the contracts with VW/Citrian/Max power and the like) refused to come to an audio event as they know that they could not compete with our systems.

I think were on about the same thing here Tigz.....I cant quote model no.s cos I dont know any but its like what u said that people buy on the strength of the name & flashy gizmo's.....for example, in halfords the other day there was a whole group of people around the sony with the full colour animations (Ive seen it for about £350), and guess how many people were gawping at a £350 Alpine (apart from me!)....this is the kind of features Im on about - the things that appeal to the people who arent enthusiasts and just wont 'get' how the less flashy looking product could actually be better.

Oh crap sorry mate, im tired and got stoned really quickly!

Didnt realise you was saying the opisit to what I thought you were saying!

:oops: laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

haha a bit of humour. Anyway agree with all what ur saying. i have had an expensive Sony unit for a few years and found it fine. If u have a great install then yea go for the HU that sounds slightly better. If u just have an active sub like me then it don't matter 2much - go 4 the one that will look best in your car. Different story for me with home -`audio-mmm` I have spent loads on the best stuff.

this may be my first post on the site and u may disregard my opinion if u wish , i have a pioneer mp7500 headunit , it plays mp3's wma and music cds and it has a rather flash oel display , how ever mines is only 8 months old and is away for repair , well gutted! , also how easy is it to fit 6*9's to the parcel shelf of the arosa as it looks to small

Why do you want 6x9s mate?

There rearly inst any reason why you should ned any rear speakers, if you spend the money on some good quality componants, and an amp to power them, then you rear passengers will hear them just as well as you will.

Trust me.

I have not heard one system with 6x9s in the rear that sounded good.

The sound gets dragged behind you, would you watch telly while faceing the wall?

Are you going to be fitting a sub as well?

If so you will also have the problem of sub damageing the cones of the speakers, through the amount of air being moved about.

It is possable if you really want to do it.

If you slide your seats to the upright possistion, then you will need to make a larger MDF shelf.

Once done the speakers will fit no problems, if you do fit them, then get hold of a couple of empty butter containers and fit them under th shelf to protect the under side of he cones.