Megasquirt / Standalone ECU's Information...

veedubdude

Now my engine is almost (ever so close!) to being done, Im starting to look at management... It'll be running on the standard ECU whilst its running N/A, but when I add the boost on Im thinking of going standalone to avoid the heartache of trying to get the original ECU to work with boost. Yes it can be done but for the extra cost of various wiring bits needed maybe jumping straight into standalone is going to be better!

So... Im after links to any information available on installing megasquirt or the like! I dont mind getting stuck into the wiring and the like myself, but I have no idea how everything works in conjunction with original ECU / Clocks etc. From what Ive read already the original ECU can be left in place to run things like the Speedo and auxilaries, and the standalone will have full control of the engine. Is this correct?

Will the aftermarket ECU's run drive-by-wire TB's, or am I looking to go down the cable change path with pedal box etc etc.?

Thanks guys, any help appreciated! :D

i have a emerald in my car and that controls everything from the engine to the clocks, the only thing is i had to get the throttle body converted to cable but i prefer cable

I'd swear by emerald, im putting one in my loop soon, is there anything in particular i have to watch out for Paul?

But what does any of the big name ECUs do extra which can justify paying twice the price?

The guy whos tuning the ECU may be used to the big name, but I dont think I could justify paying twice as much as I have to, just to make life easy on someone I am paying to do a job.

Megasquirt all the way for me thank you.

www.patatron.com

Click on Forums, Mucho info.

post-255-1210154833_thumb.png

post-255-1210154856_thumb.jpg

Tuning_Your_MegaSquirt.htm

I'd swear by emerald, im putting one in my loop soon, is there anything in particular i have to watch out for Paul?

not really that ive come across still going really well for me and has lots of little tricks on it aswell.

But what does any of the big name ECUs do extra which can justify paying twice the price?

The guy whos tuning the ECU may be used to the big name, but I dont think I could justify paying twice as much as I have to, just to make life easy on someone I am paying to do a job.

Megasquirt all the way for me thank you.

www.patatron.com

Click on Forums, Mucho info.

your just a tight yorkshire men thats why you cant justify it :coffee:

Thanks guys Ill have a read through the info! Just not sure what to do at the moment! For the sake of getting the car to Birmingham, I fancy seeing if the standard ECU will run boost or not with this adapter thing-y-majiggy on the MAP sensor!

But then £450 is alot towards standalone! Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Edited by veedubdude

Sweet! I cant find an answer for this from looking at those sites above! Seems like an obvious thing to want to know, so Im not sure if Im being blind... But do all the original sensors work with the megasquirt?

Why will it be better?

as it will just plug in to std wiring and not cost the earth like your megadodar and my motec are to wire in so just on that i like it

Its better because it just plugs in as all ready said and as it is custom made for the car the power output is much better, with a megasquirt ecu being made to go on all cars there are still limitations holding the car back, because the megasquirt has to operate on all cars. With an ECU like this you dont have to deal with these limitations.

Im no expert, however after speaking to my friend and a bloke at my work who used to be part of the ryton rally team they have both said never bother with kms, megasquirt emerald.

There are no limitations on the megasquirt or any other stand alone management.

Its fully programable, you set it to what the car needs, its as simple as that.

The megasquirt is standard fit to a ford wiring loom, bit we are only talking about connecting less than twenty wires, its not rocket science.

An engines an engine. An ECU doesn't know who made it!

Squirt & spark.

Thats all it has to ask an engine to do.

Lol hence im no expert, just going on what i have been told. My friend had a problem with the KMS, it wouldnt communicate with the stepper motor. The Hydra ECU is going to be cheaper aswel he said.

is that the stepper motor in the throttle bodie ?

how much is he paying for all this ????

His car wouldnt idle properly, i think with mapping etc its going to be around £1200. Hydra do an ECU for Subarus, its plug and play with about a 150 bhp increase.

seem's not bad priced to say my motec was £1000 :wacko:

seems like he is changing his ecu when all i would of done is changed the throttle bodie ;)

I dont think it was on the body it was seperate. Think his VTS engine was an older one. He did everything and couldnt get it to work, so when the man that makes the Hydra ECU's said he wanted to start producing ECU's for European cars he jumped at the chance.