Hello, I've bought a Fox

Redfox

Well, I'm going to make full use of this warranty. I'm going out now to try it in the (clear blue sky!) daylight. I wonder if I will just get used to this tyre rumble with time? Like at work, where you sort of mentally block out background machinery noise, you know? We shall see. If I have to take it back for the rev counter etc., I will definitely mention the tyres, though, and see what they say.

Btw, when I was out, these "kids" in a Golf spotted me on a roundabout, and one of them actually shouted, "FOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!" out of the window, lol.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes very nice day here too (albeit windy!) nice day for a drive out B)

Hopefully you will get used to the noise of the tyres, its possibly down to a lack of sound insulation? ALthough tyre make is probably a lot to do with it as well. Ive seen some Fox's with michelin Energy tyres, which are a lot more expensive than the Kumhos but generally a quiet and hard wearing tyre. Same yours didnt come fitted with those.

:lol: The Fox must be getting more popular then! Either that or they hadnt seen one before ;)

There are a few about now though, and a few drivin schools are using them round here.

I've done the car a disservice. The rev counter does work alright. I really was knackered last night, lol. Very low revving engine, mind.

Tyre noise. It depends on the road surface. I've been all over the place in the last hour, and there is one particular dual carriageway where it's really bad, some middling, and others where you can hardly hear it. I don't, in retrospect, think it's going to be a real problem. ANyay, I haven't put my "lucky carpet" in the boot yet! That might make all the difference!

Tailgate fit. Had a good look at it, removed the parcel shelf etc. Still not happy about that. It's as if the rubber seal is thicker at the bottom of the hatch than it is at the top, thus pushing the tailgate out a bit at the bottom. I'm going on the phone now to see what they have to say about it.

Driving schools, eh? I can understand that. As I say, the gearhange is great. Brakes are very good, too, and the steering is light. It's comfortable enough, even if the suspension doesn't always behave itself.

At least thats one less thing to worry about then!

:lol: I hope your carpet works, if not you could always try soundproofing it a bit. For example under the back seats and behind the rear door cards. You will probably just get used to it though, as you say. TYre noise is a pet hate for me, i like mine to be as quiet as it can be, less draining on a long run that way too.

Boot might just want the catch adjusting maybe? Althugh i bet they say "thats just how yours is"!

Yeah, its probably a good driving school car in that respect, plenty of visability, sit fairly high compared to other small cars and its not a bad size either.

PS Cardaft, I notice that you give your location as NE. I'm actually in NW County Durham.

Ah right, yeah im in Hartlepool. Which VW dealer did you buy your fox from?

Pulman. I'm taking her in tomorrow for their service people to inspect. I mentioned the tyres, too, and I'll have a good chat about that tomorrow.

Now I'm at the stage where I want to go out driving, but I don't want the car to get damaged/vandalised while I'm shopping or whatever, lol. When you've owned a car for a long time, and it's value decreases to not much, you kind of forget about that sort of thing. I'm going to be on tenterhooks for weeks yet.

Btw, the aerial is on the rear of the roof. VW have changed it since the car went into production. Not sure why.

I wonder if they do anything about the tyres, i doubt it, would be nice of them to change them for different make ones ;)

I know what you mean, im still like that with my car :lol: Always make sure i park on an end space if i can so i can only get doors bashed onto my car from the one side!

Wonder why they changed the ariel location, probably something to to with manufacturing.

Hahaha, looks like it's snowing here now, it's bloody cold, and it's quite windy. Stereotypical Easter holiday weather. A Fox in the snow, eh? Must get my digi. cam. out and take a few snaps of this car in it's prime.

Re. car parks. I avoid parking next to:- old dented cars, rusty cars, all vans, large 4 X 4s, badly parked cars, people carriers (mums with kids don't give a damn about other people's vehicles), trolley bays, and any areas where large numbers of people are likely to walk. The list continues to grow.

Yes the weather has taken a turn for the worst here too, although no snow just heavy rain and wind.

Snow was forecast for this weekend though! I doubt ill get any here, but you never know.

:lol: Im like that in car parks too, people are so inconsiderate when it comes to taking car round others cars :angry:

Just reading the VW driver mag, they gave a test figure consumption of 45MPG for the 1.2. Not bad at all.

It also says "The high level of road noise which we observed on the UK launch cars seems to have been tuned out, perhaps by a better choice of tyres"

"The high level of road noise which we observed on the UK launch cars seems to have been tuned out, perhaps by a better choice of tyres"

Interesting. Wish I had a copy of that magazine to take along with me. Actually found some paperwork in the glovebox which suggests that this car was manufactured in October 2007. They had another Fox in the showroom, which also had the same tyres on, though.

Haha, ive been a member on here for about 2 years (carnt remember when i joined!) and ive still got two standard arosas.

u cant remember???? it says it right under ur avatar :lol:

Completely snowed in now, and it shows no sign of abating. I'm not driving anywhere like this. Never liked driving on snow, probably never will. At least I'll know by morning whether or not the boot leaks, lol.

Snowed in! In glad i dont live near you :lol:

We got hail but it didnt lay.

Im not keen on driving in snow either, mainly because other people drive like idiots :angry:

Be a good test for the boot anyway, You will have ABS now! Better in the snow than your fiesta then?

ANy pics of the VW in the snow?? B)

I haven't taken any, because I haven't ventured out since it started snowing. I'm not going to snap it in the yard. I'm not going to find out if it's better in the snow than the Fiesta, 'cos I ain't going nowhere! Many moons ago, I got stuck in the snow in my first car (VW Polo C '85 model, btw), and had to pushed out of it by kindly passers-by. Never again! That car didn't have ABS. It didn't even have servo assistance on the brakes!

This is the heaviest snowfall we've had all Winter. Great timing, eh?! Waste of a holiday. Supposed to be getting 80 mph winds from Sunday, too. I pity all the poor folk towing caravans this weekend.

Tailgate "fixed". It needs a good shove to close it properly, and I've been assured that it will ease up over time. No joy on the tyres, though. Went for a test run with a member of staff, and while he agreed that it was a little on the loud side, he said they all have these tyres fitted and they fit them to Polos as well now. I aksed whther VW were likely to exchange the tyres for another make and was given a negative reply. Not much I can do, lol. I wish some other Fox owners would start posting on here, so I can compare notes. Is this site not well known, then?

Nice snowy fox picture there :shades:

We had a bit of snow but it didnt stay long, gave me a chance to try out the traction control on our fiat though! Not used it before :lol: Got some interesting pics of the sea though!

Ah the tail gate is just a bit hard to close then? Shame about the tyres, it seems VW doesnt care less about tyres, i mean fitting dunlops to all lupos, which are a really bad tyre, most new polos have matador tyres, id not even heard of those! And now they are going onto Kumhos, although grip wise they are generally very good.

Its not so much its not a well known site, but its more geared for Lupos, although the fox section is getting going very slowly, im not sure if fox owners log on, since as soon as they click the site it brings up 'clublupo'. Maybe we need a re-name! :lol:

Yes, a new name! That would do it. Maybe. I seem to be the only one here who doesn't modify their cars. I can't imagine many new Fox buyers doing that atm.

Would you rather have more snow, so you can try out all the features on your FIAT, then? Like I say, I HATE snow! Got no use for it whatsoever. BAH HUMBUG etc. etc.

Strange......... I took the car along the A1 between Durham and Newcastle, and it seemed fine on there, yet on the way home I thought the tyres were loud. It can hold it's own on such roads, btw. Easily cruises between 70 and 75. Very comfortable, too.

Mine arnt modified apart from the few odd little things, like i said on the previous page. If i remember there are a few fox owners registered on here who bought their fox and have kept it standard. Foxes arnt big in the modifying scene yet.

Have you had a look on the fox part of the forum? There are a few members now, although none are very active on here.

Oh no no, we had about 10 mins of heavy hail which laid for about 10 minutes, that was more than enough :lol: I dont like driving in snow, i do drive in it, but its just a bit of a pain tbh. Its nice to know the features work though, so i know they are there when needed!

Some road surfaces are noisier than others, so on nice smooth roads it should be silent. Like i say you could always try a bit of self sound proofing.

I do quite like the little 1.2 engine, and the sound it makes, i kind of wish the lupo and arosa were still in manufacture when that engine came out, it would have been a nice replacement for the 1.0 engine used.

Loads of Lupos around here. I've only started noticing them since I registered on this site. I haven't seen a scruffy one yet. Obviously well built little cars. Or the owners take particular care looking after them. They all appear to be standard, unmodified cars, though.

As for the Fox.......... It's time to get on with it, and rack the miles up. Bought a sheepskin mitt today! The dog tried to get it just before (he failed). Always used a sponge before. See the difference coming to this site has made?! £7.99 for that, against 50p for a sponge. Spotted that Autoglym Tar remover you mentioned. I'll buy it if I need it, but that'll remove the Autoglym treatment already applied. Never ealised there were so many car cleaning products out there. Halfords have 3 for 2 offer on atm, btw.