Do I need different wheel nuts?

Heard today (from a man at the garage) that I might need different wheel nuts if I am to change my standard Lupo steels to Arosa S alloys. He said that alloys are thicker and need longer wheel nuts (I was hoping I'd be able to use the ones I've got). He hasn't seen the Arosa alloys though, or the Lupo wheel nuts.

What do others think? Reckon Arosa/Lupo wheel nuts are the same across the board for steels and alloys? I thought I read something on here about VW wheel nuts fitting lots of VW wheels, but these are Seats so I'm not sure.... :confused:

If it helps the new wheels look like this:

DSC00572.jpg

Thanks!

I think you should be ok.

If you can, remove one of the wheel nuts and post a pic up and ill tell you if they look like mine or not.

I think they are all the same though.

Thanks, that sounds promising! I'll see if I can get one out, though I couldn't even get the wheel cover off the other day! :blush: . Though it was a bit of a half-arsed effort- I wanted to see how it came off! I have been shown how to remove wheels, but it's undoing the nuts/anything that involves strength that is a problem for me. I think I'll get my brother to do it. :shades:

If you need longer bolts for alloys and have rear drum brakes, remember to keep a set of shorter ones with your spare wheel.Otherwise the longer bolts may be to long for your rear hubs and foul the braking mech inside.I found this out when I fitted Oz alloy's to my MK3 Polo GT.I haven't checked, but carry standard bolts in the spare wheel of my Arosa anyhow.

Ray

PS Are you going to replace the 'S' centre badges with 'VW' ones?R

Edited by Silver!

If you need longer bolts for alloys and have rear drum brakes, remember to keep a set of shorter ones with your spare wheel.Otherwise the longer bolts may be to long for your rear hubs and foul the braking mech inside.I found this out when I fitted Oz alloy's to my MK3 Polo GT.I haven't checked, but carry standard bolts in the spare wheel of my Arosa anyhow.

Will bear that in mind in case I do need the longer bolts, don't want to kill my brakes! (Can't afford any more damages- the previous owner seems to have killed my clutch :closedeyes: ).

I got some cheap 14" steels for my car the other day, as winter hacks, and they fitted fine with the bolts from my alloys.

Ok, that sounds promising too. Could it be that the bolts from the alloys are longer and so fit the alloys and the steels, but shorter ones from steels might not fit alloys too...just a newbie thought?

PS Are you going to replace the 'S' centre badges with 'VW' ones?

Yep, was originally looking for badges/centre caps from VW that would fit but drew a blank there, so found some really good sticky badges on ebay. There are lots on there, but I decided on these as they looked good quality on the listing, and they are! They look like proper VW badges even close up! I'm so proud that I took some pictures:

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

They are quite big in relation to the wheel, but I'm not fussed :)

Ok, that sounds promising too. Could it be that the bolts from the alloys are longer and so fit the alloys and the steels, but shorter ones from steels might not fit alloys too...just a newbie thought?

DSC01387.jpg

You wont wreck the brakes because the bolts will be too short if anything. I think they will be the same size for the alloys though. If you could take one out and post a pic and measure the length ill see if mine are the same size. I think they should be though.

Those badges look great! wouldnt ever tell they are badges. Post up some pics when you get the wheels on :)

You wont wreck the brakes because the bolts will be too short if anything. I think they will be the same size for the alloys though. If you could take one out and post a pic and measure the length ill see if mine are the same size. I think they should be though.

Sorry, meant that I didn't want to kill the drums with the longer bolts. I tried to take one out today but they're too tight :ouch: -sorry about that, it was a helpful offer anyway, thanx. I think we're going to get a mechanic we know to come over & look at/change the wheels when he looks at the clutch. Hopefully that should sort it.

Those badges look great! wouldnt ever tell they are badges. Post up some pics when you get the wheels on

Thanx, v pleased with them ^_^ . Will do soon!

those centres look really good sophie :D , the only difference between the nuts would be some have a cone like straight edge on them and others have a rounded end on them . overall length they should be the same . as chris said , pop a wheel nut off and we can have a wee look for you

those centres look really good sophie :D , the only difference between the nuts would be some have a cone like straight edge on them and others have a rounded end on them . overall length they should be the same . as chris said , pop a wheel nut off and we can have a wee look for you

The steels and alloys both use radius head bolts so there should be no problems there.

For lupos that came with alloys from the factory, when you go to put your steel spare on you don't need a shorter bolt do you, therefore I would assume all the bolts are the same, rather than having 2 different sizes.

See chris260's observations in this thread: Wheel bolts

Those centres look great! Did you take the Seat badge off or is the VW stuck on top?

For lupos that came with alloys from the factory, when you go to put your steel spare on you don't need a shorter bolt do you, therefore I would assume all the bolts are the same, rather than having 2 different sizes.

Good point! :thumbsup: Looks like I shouldn't have a problem.

as chris said , pop a wheel nut off and we can have a wee look for you

Hehe, I'm too weak and feeble! Believe me, I tried. They've been screwed in very tight! You'll be pleased to hear that your wheels are being very well looked after- cleaned (not that they needed it) and autoglym wheel-sealed no less! But they're in the garage, not in the house. Sorry :D

Those centres look great! Did you take the Seat badge off or is the VW stuck on top?

The Seat badge is still there, just stuck the new one on the top. The edges of the Seat badge were a bit recessed, so the VW badge doesn't stick out too much.

Edited by luv_lupo