Blaupunkt..

That's pretty sweet setup you've got right there.

I had Sony in the Lupo, just looking for something more OEM looking for the Polo.

Sony was awesome, 10 CD Changer in the boot. But a CD changer can be more hassle if it's in a completely bizzare place.

The upgrade price the first owner paid for it was astronomical aswell.

i have a blaukpunkt HU, amp and sub....

ive been having some problems with the USB drive (sometimes it just tells me USB errot- quite irratating!!) but other from that ive had no problems.

if your not going to replace the front speakers stright away (like i didnt) the head unit runs them pretty well... i put another head unit on it didnt sound half as good!

Mitch

I think all VW's come with Blaupunkt as standard any way - and it's German and therefore efficient and reliable!

I've got a Blaupunkt Barcelona head unit, GT series amp, sub and 6x9's in my land rover. Better quality and louder than my mates more expensive and more powerful (RMS) JBL stuff. I think the price difference was only enough for a couple of pints, too.

I know that kind of contradicts itself, but mine is rated at less power RMS, but I can get a much better full-spectrum sound and the quality is much better. His sounds quieter when it starts to distort and it's never been anywhere near the depth of the sound I can get.

Also worth noting - the vehicle it's in isn't a ponce car, it gets battered around quarrys and gets a regular caking with mud, as well as some of the wiring taking a flooding, and all the equipment has deals superbly with the hard-knock life, The head unit regularly gets operated with muddy gritty hands and it's been dropped in some pretty sticky mud, and apart from scratches it's still going strong.

Not so much of a problem in a road car but still worth noting :D

Tom.

Edited by TomLS

• 2 weeks later...
Not the absolute high end make for sound quality but a very good make in general :)

Sums it up very well really :)

The only thing to bear in mind is if you want to add an amp to the system (for a sub, or speakers) you'll need an additional pre-out lead that costs ÂŁ10-15. But that aside, they are very good headunits.

I think all VW's come with Blaupunkt as standard any way - and it's German and therefore efficient and reliable!

I've got a Blaupunkt Barcelona head unit, GT series amp, sub and 6x9's in my land rover. Better quality and louder than my mates more expensive and more powerful (RMS) JBL stuff. I think the price difference was only enough for a couple of pints, too.

I know that kind of contradicts itself, but mine is rated at less power RMS, but I can get a much better full-spectrum sound and the quality is much better. His sounds quieter when it starts to distort and it's never been anywhere near the depth of the sound I can get.

Also worth noting - the vehicle it's in isn't a ponce car, it gets battered around quarrys and gets a regular caking with mud, as well as some of the wiring taking a flooding, and all the equipment has deals superbly with the hard-knock life, The head unit regularly gets operated with muddy gritty hands and it's been dropped in some pretty sticky mud, and apart from scratches it's still going strong.

Not so much of a problem in a road car but still worth noting :D

Tom.

I know the cd autochangers are sony! it says on the side of mine, may be the reason why I keep on having to replace it!

heard a rumour that beta and gamma were made by blaupunkt though

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

Well, I got for christmas a new headunit, and it was manufactured by the dreaded JVC. I thought "Oh dear, it's going to be pants"...

Wired it in, and then added some rear Pioneers in the doors... And plugged in my iPod and waited for the horrific sound...

But, it didn't come. I must say, this new iPod control/MP3 playing/stylish JVC headunit really does do me proud. The sound is awesome and my cars audio is dream perfect.

Well, I got for christmas a new headunit, and it was manufactured by the dreaded JVC. I thought "Oh dear, it's going to be pants"...

Wired it in, and then added some rear Pioneers in the doors... And plugged in my iPod and waited for the horrific sound...

But, it didn't come. I must say, this new iPod control/MP3 playing/stylish JVC headunit really does do me proud. The sound is awesome and my cars audio is dream perfect.

I had a JVC head unit in the P*nto, connected to the standard Blaupunkt speaker. Sounded pretty good, but I just hated the bright blue lights.

R

JVC make some very, very good headunits. Their low-end kit is some of the best value for money kit around and along with the likes of Clarion really knocks lumps out of Sony/Kenwood and other tosh like that.

Their top of the range kit is also very good, but sometimes a little unreliable. The rest of the range is also very good, but nothing really to set it apart from other brands.

I beg to differ.

There are differences in the quality of components used and I think that sony's have very good sound quality. I've just got a new CDX-GT410 head unit with usb input and it work great with my hard drive. The JVC KD-G632 is in a higher price bracket then the Sony, and yet the sony has a better amplifier than the JVC, and the SNR is 120 for the sony and 98 for the JVC. There is a fair difference in sound from this with good speakers, as a mate has a similar JVC unit. The sony also has a slightly lower frequency band so the bass is fuller.

It's certainly better than the SNR of 89 that my other blaupunkt has!

Not that the difference is vast but I disagree with the statement that sony is tosh, I've never had a bad sony product.

I beg to differ.

There are differences in the quality of components used and I think that sony's have very good sound quality. I've just got a new CDX-GT410 head unit with usb input and it work great with my hard drive. The JVC KD-G632 is in a higher price bracket then the Sony, and yet the sony has a better amplifier than the JVC, and the SNR is 120 for the sony and 98 for the JVC. There is a fair difference in sound from this with good speakers, as a mate has a similar JVC unit. The sony also has a slightly lower frequency band so the bass is fuller.

It's certainly better than the SNR of 89 that my other blaupunkt has!

Not that the difference is vast but I disagree with the statement that sony is tosh, I've never had a bad sony product.

It all depends what you're aiming for. Sony offer plenty of noise for the money, but with the exception of their XES kit from years gone by, you wouldn't ever find a Sony headunit on the ICE scene. Too many gimmicks, too much emphasis on flashing lights, over-EQ'd sounds and far too processed. Plug them into standard or even semi-decent kit and you can get a 'good' sound, but good is as far as current (last 5 years +) Sony kit will go.

If you're using a hard drive, would it be safe to assume you're using compressed music (i.e. MP3's, WMA etc)? Comparing SQ using compressed music is like comparing fine wine from a polystyrene cup!

But as said though, it depends on what your looking for and the standard you're aiming for. Sony know their place... XPlod and replacing stock kit. They also know they aren't going to be going up against Nakamichi, Becker, McIntosh etc.

It's a shame, as Sony have the potential, experience and backing to make kit that outshines the Nakamichi's of this world.