MOT failure could be for sale

cmac

Hi

Just had the wifes car for its MOT and it failed on emissions, booked in next week for engine service and flush to see how it goes, i very rarely drive the car but checked all the levels before the mot and had to top the oil up and noticed it was burning oil, so it was no surprise it failed but I think this is going to need more than just an engine service and if thats the case its time to sell, so if it fails the question is how much would i expect to get for a 2000 14i 16v lupo Mot failure with 57k on the clock? So if there is anybody interested in buying it, i'll see how it goes next week and it could be for sale.

Well if it smokes all the time its a very good possibility that is the valve guides, if not then it could be the ECU.

The most comon fault is valve guides. The cheapest way i found out is to take the head to engineering.

Or if you can find an engine with low mileage and less then £250.

It could be anything.

Most people with this fault are first told its the throttle body.

Once that is changed they are told its the CAT.

Once this is cahnaged they are told its the ECU.

Are we all not glad we bought into the idea of German build quality?

Hi

She has no misfire although it maybe a bit heavy on the fuel and still has plenty of power, spoke to a mate who said i should have red lined it for a few miles to get the cat red hot and burn the excess oil off then take it for the mot, but that doesn't solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...