1.4i 16v, 75bhp / 1.4i 16v, 100bhp

Weeman

Hi there whats the difference with these lumps?

Dimensions seem the same is it just a case of a good `re-map` to get the 75er upto 100, like the veedub 110pdi 115pdi 130pdi 150pdi engines?

thanks in advance smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Welcome Weeman to the loopy bin. Do I sence another Scotsman on board? .

With regard to the 2 Variants of the 1.4 16v Ibelieve it is more than just a chip I have read elsewhere that it is cams and a bit of head work and chips.

Thanx 4 all the welcomes

Yup im gettin a yellow lupo pick her up nxt weekish.

Just sold my kiwi yellow ibiza cupra sport 8valver last week :cry: but she had to go due to 29mpg average (mainly due to my driving) and me doing alot more miles 4 work.

So after stressing bout what to get the lupo 1.4 seemed to meet everything i wanted

1/ mad funky look

2/ good mpg

3/ power to weight ratio

4/ small for easier town/city driving

5/ ol skool / newskool possibilties

Yup im a scots boy living in Yorkshire.

That yellow lupo looks f'in sweet, but what do they drive like with big rims? does it tram line sometimes? i wasent gonna mod it until i found this site biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

As for the power hike the reason i thought was all pdi diesel engines can be `re-mapped` to the power of the nxt bhp up without any mods ie

115bhp - 130bhp

130bhp - 150+bhp + = bigger injector nozzle

Engine internals exactly the same.

As a company its sounds a good idea to have just one engine in differing states of tune cheaper to mass produce.

I guess the easiest thing to do is ask for the part number for the cam from a 75bhp lupo and 1 from a 100bhp and see if their the same, ill do it nxt week.

Not bothered if it doesnt as the 75 is enough 4 the mo smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hello mate let us know how you get on i have asked this question a few times and had many answers

first is a chip

second was a cam

third was a exhaust

and fourth was inlet manifilod

i have a 75 bhp 1.4 16v and am still baffled

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

8) I type this sitting in the sun in costa -del essex in the garden...

It's a combination of all of the last post. The TDi's are easier to powerhike as the are turbocharged and just need to increase the boost and feuling perameters a bit.

Hope that helps :wink:

QUOTE(Marqs_Loopy)
Welcome Weeman to the loopy bin. Do I sence another Scotsman on board? .  

With regard to the 2 Variants of the 1.4 16v Ibelieve it is more than just a chip I have read elsewhere that it is cams and a bit of head work and chips.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Exactly what i said earlier. :roll:

Welcome back Robin not seen you about for a while..

Interesting post this. I'd wondered the differences myself and guessed it must be more than a chip. An extra 25bhp from an NA engine is more than just electronics really.

well ive just found this, i think its pretty interesting

1.4i 100bhp

Pferdestärken 100

Engine cubic capacity 1390

Fuel Consumption

Urban 29.4mpg - 9.6l/100km

`Extra-urban` 54.3mpg - 5.2l/100km

Combined 41.5mpg - 6.8l/100km

Engine emissions 163g/km

Engine noise levels 73.0dB

Engine maximum Speed 116mph - 188km/h

Engine acceleration `0-62mph` 10.0secs

Maximum output PS 100

at RPM 6000

Maximum torque 92 lbs.ft / 126 Nm

at RPM 4400

Insurance group rating 6

1.4i 75bhp

Pferdestärken 75

Engine cubic capacity 1390

Fuel Consumption

Urban 32.5mpg - 8.7l/100km

`Extra-urban` 57.6mpg - 4.9l/100km

Combined 44.8mpg - 6.3l/100km

Engine emissions 151g/km

Engine noise levels 72.5dB

Engine maximum Speed 106mph - 172km/h

Engine acceleration `0-62mph` 12.0secs

Maximum output PS 75

at RPM 5000

Maximum torque 92 lbs.ft / 126 Nm

at RPM 3800

Insurance group rating 3

the bhp is increased although max is further up the rpm.

although there is no increase in torque and whats more the torque in the 100bhp maxs at 4400 where as the 75bhp max's out at 3800.

If the cams were different surly the torque would be different?

QUOTE(Weeman)
As for the power hike the reason i thought was all pdi diesel engines can be `re-mapped` to the power of the nxt bhp up without any mods ie

115bhp - 130bhp

130bhp - 150+bhp  + = bigger injector nozzle

Not thats its strictly relevent to this topic..but thats not quite true the pd 110/115, 130 and 150 have different turbos, the 150 for example does not have a combined turbo and manifold like the 130 does, so while you are right about the remap the actual engine construction is different.

• 1 month later...

Hello there, I have a 75ps Lupo too and i've been wondering about what the differences are. I think I have a good idea of the main differences are, tell me what you think.

Lupo sport has:

1) Lighter flywheel hence the same amount of touque at higher revs.

My GCSE physics tell me that Torque=inertia x Angular acc.

2) Looking at the K&N induction kit manual for the lup it shows that the inlet manifold for sport is alot bigger.

3) Possibly slightly different gearing for the sport to allow the 2nd gear to do 60mph.

4) Forged pistons??

5) A more sportier ECU?

Looking at the Mpg i don't think that the cams are any different.

So i think to turn the 1.4 lup into a sport would cost a fair amount of money.

what makes you say forged pistons ?

the bore stroke and compression ratio is the same, i would think the `sub-assembly` is exactly the same

the difference would be in the head i think, anything from different cams ,bigger ports and ofcourse fueling.

I don't think that it would be forged pistons, but its just a thought as the sport is capable of running at higher revs.

there is also the possiblity of a uprated throttle body. I remember one of the guys here said that the the polo sport has the GTI throttle body. This would perhaps explain why the throttle is so sluggish on the 1.4.

Look at the manual, and look at the times for the 1st and second gears, and compare them with the sport, they don't differ that much, only when you change to third does the time extend. It takes 4 secs to get from 50mph to 60mph, thats stupid!!!!

QUOTE(beer monsta)
QUOTE(Weeman)

115bhp - 130bhp

130bhp - 150+bhp  + = bigger injector nozzle

Not thats its strictly relevent to this topic..but thats not quite true the pd 110/115, 130 and 150 have different turbos, the 150 for example does not have a combined turbo and manifold like the 130 does, so while you are right about the remap the actual engine construction is different.

Soz buddy but i never said nowt bout the 150bhp model, as the table was meant as a guide u can take the 130 model past 150bhp

Have you had a look at the 1.4 75 ps engine datasheet? Unfortunately its all in german. But it also features the 1.6 polo gti engine. not sure if thats the same as the lupo, but it may mean that the gti engine may be related to the 1.4 75ps block. I'm dreaming here, but it'd be nice to put the VVT head on my car laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

anyway the link:

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/engine/ahw_akq_ajv.pdf