List of Problems with Lupo...

Lupo*

Ok. I am Starting to Hate my Lupo. Its all going wrong and all at once.

if you have some spare time could you please help me out with a few problems i want to get done asap, it would be very much appreciated.

Baring in mind my Pedal box is being replaced on Wednesday 12th. So if any of these symptoms are related please let me know. =)

Here we go.

1. On Full lock (either left or right) at slow speed a annoying noise occurs and all the power is drained from the car (e.g lights dim) when this happens the engine tries to stall when in full lock position in slow speeds or even stationary position. and on many occastions it has stalled from this. any ideas?

2. Irritating creaking Noise from Back left of the lupo and either the drivers Door area or the Bost where the seatbelt is held up.

3. Heater fan only works on Settings 1,3 & 4 does not work on Setting 2 which is weird as i have read about just working on setting 4 only, but my problem seems unique.

4. I need my front part of my Exhaust Replaced (the part with the mesh grill part near the front of the car.) What is this part called and is this part all i will need to buy for my local mechanic to fit?

as i can get the part on the cheap as i know someone who knows someone... not sure if this is the part where all the connectors go in or not. but i got a verbal quote from kwikfit for £250-300

5. When in 4th Gear. there is a hell of alot of movement from the gear stick from the engine. only in 4th tho. what can this be?

6. Passenger Door makes very loud lock noise when central locking (lock and unlock) the door. i thinks its the dead lock process that makes the loud noise. it makes a kind of loud clank then a 1/2 second loud buzz noise.

have taken door cards off. but i dont want to pierce the plastic seal... or should i?

Think thats it but im sure i have missed something.

anyhow. im nooking for some cheapy alloys now. what ya think of these? think they would look nice with vw caps on.

c1_707_s_10_large.jpg

i want the 16's of these will they be a problem?

6.50 x 16 4x100 67.1 ET40

thanks for your time.

Evo*

Edited by Lupo*

Ok. I am Starting to Hate my Lupo. Its all going wrong and all at once.

if you have some spare time could you please help me out with a few problems i want to get done asap, it would be very much appreciated.

Baring in mind my Pedal box is being replaced on Wednesday 12th. So if any of these symptoms are related please let me know. =)

Here we go.

1. On Full lock (either left or right) at slow speed a annoying noise occurs and all the power is drained from the car (e.g lights dim) when this happens the engine tries to stall when in full lock position in slow speeds or even stationary position. and on many occastions it has stalled from this. any ideas?

2. Irritating creaking Noise from Back left of the lupo and either the drivers Door area or the Bost where the seatbelt is held up.

3. Heater fan only works on Settings 1,3 & 4 does not work on Setting 2 which is weird as i have read about just working on setting 4 only, but my problem seems unique.

4. I need my front part of my Exhaust Replaced (the part with the mesh grill part near the front of the car.) What is this part called and is this part all i will need to buy for my local mechanic to fit?

as i can get the part on the cheap as i know someone who knows someone... not sure if this is the part where all the connectors go in or not. but i got a verbal quote from kwikfit for £250-300

5. When in 4th Gear. there is a hell of alot of movement from the gear stick from the engine. only in 4th tho. what can this be?

Think thats it but im sure i have missed something.

anyhow. im nooking for some cheapy alloys now. what ya think of these? think they would look nice with vw caps on.

c1_707_s_10_large.jpg

i want the 16's of these will they be a problem?

6.50 x 16 4x100 67.1 ET40

thanks for your time.

Evo*

I can make a few suggestions :)

1 = Have you cleaned the throttle body out? It gets gunked up, could be that yours is alowing the engine to run, but it struggles when you ask for extra power (ie, turning the steering wheel, when the PAS comes in). Does it do it at all with anything else, e.g lights, or when idling at traffic lights or similar?

2 = Creaking from the back seems to have happened to a few people - think the conclusion was the boot hinges, as the back of the car flexed. I don't quite understand where the noise from the drivers door is, but could it be hinges again? Does the door shut flush with the side of the car?

3 = No idea on this one sorry, you may need to get new heater controls....

4 = "mesh grill" - do you mean the flexipipe between exhaust and manifold? Think its hard to get hold of on its own, but please try, it'll make repairs cheaper if you can!

5 = There does tend to be alot of movement in the gearstick through all the gears - mine moves alot in 4th too. Do you notice any problems getting the car into/out of gear? If not, I'd not worry too much :)

Those wheels don't look to bad, but I'd recomend lowering the car before fitting alloys (or both at the same time, obviously). Also, you may find 16s a bit big, depending on your engine. Most people don't seem to go above 15" wheels, although there are a couple with 16"...mostly GTis I think though

Edited by lunalupi

the centre bore on those wheels is far to big . its saying there that the centre bore is 67.1 , the lupos and arosas use a 57.1 centre bore so its 10mm to big and im not sure they make spigot rings that big

their website says they are lupo size. maybe they got it wrong then?

http://www.cms.com.tr/welcome.asp

VOLKSWAGEN / Lupo sizes

CMS 222 6.5 J x 16 H2

CMS 228 6.0 J x 15 H2

CMS 181 6.0 J x 14 H2

CMS 182 7.0 J x 15 H2

also every site i find recommend these for the lupo.

http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/copy...15-alloy-wheels

http://www.ityre.com/en/disks/catalog/cms/1964/

but they are all that bore size...

would you be able to link me to the sprig things for these 16's. i dont know what they are. sorry

thanks mate

Edited by Lupo*

@ lunalupi (cool name)

1. forgot to mention. i blasted a can of carb cleaner a few months ago to clean it. made little difference tho.

4. yeah the meshy bend bit. as that a 1 piece bit so i would only need that? or do sensors and stuff go in that part?

5. yeah gears are hard to get into anyway. but thats cos pedal box has half broke (being replaced this wednesday =) but its always in 4th say if im just driving and i have my hand on the gear stick. if itake my foot off the gas then put on again it moves a lot. hard to explain.

remembered another problem too. which i put in main post.

thanks for ya help and suggestions.

mines does the ting in fourth, knocks back and forward when you put your foot on an take it off the acclerator, i assuming its just play in the linkages for the box but i would'nt worry. don't quote me but it might be the power steering pump, struggling to build up the "pressure" it need to make the steering light, is the steering heavy? have you checked your power steering fluid level?

I can't help on your 6th problem I'm afraid - no central locking here :lol:

But the 4th gear movement sounds like its normal - once the pedal box is fixed you'll be able to feel beter if there are any problems through the gears.

The Flexipipe is only one bit, but I seem to remember people have had problems getting just that bit, ending up having to get all sorts of bits connected to it and ending up with a big bill. But I'm sure you must be able to get it from somewhere! So try your local motor store, ECP or similar :)

p.s. Thanks, I like my name to ;)

Not sure on that one m8, I get an annoying creak but thats related to my coilovers im sure, but i get no loss of power or judder etc.

Also When i put full lock on to the right my abs light comes on, and stays on till i turn the car off, doesn't happen with my standard wheels but does with my 16's :S no idea why.

Is this when going over hill crests or all the time? Ive known cars to creak due to flexing over crests but not sure if this is ur problem?

My heater fan only works on setting 4 :S u remember were u read about it? First thing that springs too mind is yours could be a related problem.

The part u need is the flexi pipe, tell kwikfit to **** off.

I got quotes from 174~280 when looking around for mine, then i took to a place called MVM performance and the guy told me the part is 40 pound and he'd fit for next to nothing. The flexi pipe he quoted me for was for models below the sport (not sure if 1.4s etc count as he wasnt specific) The part i needed for the sport how ever was 60, the guy took cash in hand to avoid VAT and didnt charge me for fitting as he'd quoted me lower.

Basicly depending on ur model the flexi pipe will either be £40 or £60, this is wot ive been told/charged anyway.

My gear stick rocks back when i apply power and forward when i let off, only in 4th. Its not major but u notice it when u have ur hand on the gear stick, Ive never thought anything of this.

6. Passenger Door makes very loud lock noise when central locking (lock and unlock) the door. i thinks its the dead lock process that makes the loud noise. it makes a kind of loud clank then a 1/2 second loud buzz noise.

have taken door cards off. but i dont want to pierce the plastic seal... or should i?

My central locking is pretty noisy but again ive never thought anything of it, i just assumed it was like that lol.

Hope ive helped in some small way :)

@ Brink

ah thanks. all info helps. cant remember the thread for the heater. but if only works on heater 4 i think it was matrix something had gone. soz.

did you flexi pipe bit make a horibble vibrating noise when the engine goes from revved down to idle. and at mid revs

@ lunalupi

vw have had my lupo for the 2nd day now for just fixing my pedal box. they said they broke something when they was disasembling my car.... and wont get the part for a day...

so cant check the power fluid level atm.

if it is low anyone know waht to use to fill it up? part number of genuine stuff would be handy.

thanks again all.

p.s im stuck with a 56 plate 1.4 basic polo. its in worse shape than mine and is only done 8k.

i want my lupoo!!!

Edited by Lupo*

@ Brink

ah thanks. all info helps. cant remember the thread for the heater. but if only works on heater 4 i think it was matrix something had gone. soz.

did you flexi pipe bit make a horibble vibrating noise when the engine goes from revved down to idle. and at mid revs

@ lunalupi

vw have had my lupo for the 2nd day now for just fixing my pedal box. they said they broke something when they was disasembling my car.... and wont get the part for a day...

Ye made a horrible rattle, my flexi pipe was snapped clean in 2 and it was only the mesh holding it together lol.

Also on the part of VW breaking a part, when u order the pedal box uve got to order another bit (not sure wot its called as my mechanic mate did it for me) anyway its a small white plastic section and it snaps when u try to remove it so u need to order one of those too. Just a guess but sounds to me wot it could be incase u were wondering.

thanks for the info brink.

well cars back from vw for pedal box replacement. but to be honest i dont see hardly and difference, i still have the same problems. foot was fully down on clutch when i changed down a gear and you guest it. *crunch*

gear box is still stiff and horrible.

is it easy to adjust gear linkage on ya own? any guide anywhere?

on a good note tho my indicator stalk had a rattle souns like a small screw was inside it. but now its gone! yay.

thanks all

Edited by Lupo*

sorry mitch ive been booked in now with me local mechanic for the zaust.

he also has examined my clutch and says nothing he can see is wrong. apart from the fact vw have set it so it does not clear. so he has adjusted it and nows its +75% better than before. no more crunching.

gears can get a little stiff tho. is it worth draining the oil and putting new stuff in the gearbox? adjust the gear linkage?

thanks

@lupo* - sorry dont really have anything to comment about your problems, apart from mine and lukes boot/back creaks, its just a lupo quirk! good luck with getting it sorted

Also When i put full lock on to the right my abs light comes on, and stays on till i turn the car off, doesn't happen with my standard wheels but does with my 16's :S no idea why.

have you checked the abs cable?

my abs light came on when i went round islands and found out the back of the wheel had rubbed through the cable causing it to short

my abs light came on when i went round islands and found out the back of the wheel had rubbed through the cable causing it to short

Never thought of that but seeing as a know sweet FA about cars rly i wouldnt of anyway. Ill have a wee check when i put my wheels back on :) thank you.

Never thought of that but seeing as a know sweet FA about cars rly i wouldnt of anyway. Ill have a wee check when i put my wheels back on :) thank you.

heres a quick pic :) so you know what you're looking for

DSC00167.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Damn well pissed off. Clutch is now Perfect very light and nice action. exhaust is all done. all good in that respect....

but...

Gears hard to engage! select! so annoyed now. had pedal box + brand new clutch fitted and its got to be the damn gearbox.

Whats the damage this time gonna be?

or anything i can do to fix the gears?

thanks all.

I have the worst luck with cars, grrrrr.

Lupo

@lupo* - sorry dont really have anything to comment about your problems, apart from mine and lukes boot/back creaks, its just a lupo quirk! good luck with getting it sorted

Heater fan only working on one or two settings will no doubt be due to a blown heater fan resistor.

This happened on my Civic. Different heater fan speeds are 'switched' in via different resistors. The highest resistor is swicthed in for the low fan speeds (to dissipate the power) and so as most people pootle around with the fan on setting 1 these often burn out after time.

If it is then just get a new heater fan resisor pack from the scappies or buy one from VW.

Honda charged around £20 IIRC