Meet Homar

Linz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilli is going to the in laws when we are off to Australia, altho I'm contemplating kenneling her for at least a week to be honest.

She is treated more like a baby than a dog, I trust no one with her.

She is treated more like a baby than a dog, I trust no one with her.

Yeah, thats how we are with ours, we wouldnt even consider putting them in kenels, one of our dogs gets stressed even if we take her on holiday, and she is in a strange place, so putting her somewhere very strange without us she would go mad.

She also hates other dogs so that wouldnt be a good idea either. Our other dog though is very laid back and just goes along with anything.

Its strange, one of them is more of a person than a dog, if you know what i mean ;) , she loves her comforts, she knows when your talking about her, she can pick up words like "walk" out of sentences even though were not talking about taking her out :lol: . She seems to understand so much of what we say its unreal.

The other one knows his name, and he knows a few words, but not many, he doesnt even know walkies yet!. You can talk to him and he doesnt respond, unlike our other one. He is very laid back, is not too keen on walking although once he is out he gets to like it :lol: . He is very lazy and clumsy too, its a good job he is solidly built :lol:

They get on with the cat ok, although the cat likes to think she rules the house a bit and hates the dogs, she is always trying to keep them in their place.

I have to say though, they are both not trained that well, they are slowly getting better though, we are trying to be a bit harder on them. They get away with far too much ;)

I found kennels that I trusted and put Jessie in for the first time at 6months for a weekend when we were not far away.

She was fine and would go with the kennel hands no prob's.

As I said, find a good one and get your dog accustomed from a young age.

I don't think I would be so bad with kennels, because at least if something were to go wrong there would be no family involved - and no doubt there are procedures that good kennels follow.

Lilli is quite an intelligent dog, mind you, hasn't picked up on "walk" yet lol. She does "sit", "gentle", "leave it" and a fair amount of other stuff.

Her teeth have started falling out, its quite funny lol.

I don't think I would be so bad with kennels, because at least if something were to go wrong there would be no family involved - and no doubt there are procedures that good kennels follow.

Lilli is quite an intelligent dog, mind you, hasn't picked up on "walk" yet lol. She does "sit", "gentle", "leave it" and a fair amount of other stuff.

Her teeth have started falling out, its quite funny lol.

Definitely useful to have good kennels and a good vet! We are lucky that our vet is a 5min walk away and the kennels are a 15min drive.

If you are going to visit the kennels (as you should), make sure you drop in unannounced and catch them off-guard so they wont have time to stop doing things that they shouldn't be.

Definitely useful to have good kennels and a good vet! We are lucky that our vet is a 5min walk away and the kennels are a 15min drive.

Our vet is about a 45 min drive away, but my sister works there as a vet nurse so thats why we go there.

Which is where i have just got back from after some crappy little dog attacked our staffy, while we were out walking, there is no wonder she doesnt like other dogs, its the third time she had been attacked by a small dog.

Our vet is about a 45 min drive away, but my sister works there as a vet nurse so thats why we go there.

Which is where i have just got back from after some crappy little dog attacked our staffy, while we were out walking, there is no wonder she doesnt like other dogs, its the third time she had been attacked by a small dog.

We had the opposite problem, we had rescued a staffy and he mauled one of our other dogs quite badly and had to go. Still made me very sad and I had a bit of a hard time dealing with it.

He had gone for one of the others before but we just put it down to the other dog (who is old and a bit crabbit at the best of times) starting it. To be honest I'm glad he attacked the one that he did because the others wouldn't have stood a chance, he managed to pick the strongest, fittest dog who also happens to be the alpha male who took a beating but managed to stop him attacking the others(they were all wounded but nowhere near as bad as joey) . If it had been any of the others we would have probably came back to at least one dead dog.

Fletch (the dog) is treated virtually no differently from Joe (the baby), so I'd have no problem leaving him in kennels or with my parents for holidays or long weekends, but we see him as part of the family and don't want to be away from him for long anyway!! As long as you're organised, having dogs and kids doesn't ruin your social life - we've not stopped doing anything we did before we had Fletch and Joe - they just tag along with us now!!

Oh, Linz and Fran - care to swap your pooches for a baby for a few days?!

Thanks for the offer Vix, but I'll have to decline - I am scared of babies!!! My wee pup will do for now!

He is going to be in a bad mood with me later - taking him to the vet tonight for his second jag. Another week and we will finally be able to take him for walks and near other dogs.

Here's a pic I took this morning - he is getting soo big!

PHOT0146.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A few more pics - just cos I feel like it!

10 weeks

10weeks.jpg

10weeks1.jpg

13 weeks

13weeks15.jpg

He still thinks he's tiny and can curl up on my lap no bother!

13weeks17.jpg

Catching some Zzzzz's

13weeks27.jpg

After a walk with his mate Jake (who just licks him to death!)

13weeks12.jpg

13weeks14.jpg