Towing with a Lupo

danddan

Hiyall

I was looking at sticking a towbar on my Lupo. I know its capable of towing (it says so in the manual) and I was wondering if anyone had done this, and what sort of tow bars they had used if they have?. Also what do you tow, and does the car like it?

Cheers, Dan.

What kind of thing do you want to tow?

The brochure says the 1.0 tows 650, so a small trailer.

Although i wouldnt think it would like towing it much.

I can only think of one person on here who tows, i think its a 1.0 too, but ive forgot his username, it will come to me laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yeah, I've got a tiny little trailer that used to be my dads, I think it takes about 400KG max. I'm not planning on taking up caravanning just yet shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

A VERY small caravan LOL.

I've just looked this up -

The 1.0 will pull 650kg

and both of the 1.4s, and the 1.7d will all pull 800KG

But strangely, according to my research the GTI cant tow!

I guess its due to the body kits and the such like. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is?!?

Anyway - back to caravans!

I've found this thing after not much looking, it weighs 750KG unladen, so you could just about tow it with 1.4 or 1.7

http://www.jcleisure.com/Go%20300.htm

and also this

http://www.springbankleisure.co.uk/specs.html

And there could well be lighter ones out there as well!

But my 1.0 couldn't tow the top one even with nothing in, and it couldn't tow the bottom one if it was fully laden.

So maybe 1.0 Lupos arn't ideal for caravanning, but the 1.4s ARE!!

Ive seen a 2cv with a small caravan on the back, so im sure a lupo 'could' manage.

And both lupo petrol sports 1.4, and the GTi carnt tow because they have a centre exhaust, so no where for the towbar to go tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Personally i think a TDi would do the job best, they have loads of torque, more that any other.

I can only think of one person on here who tows, i think its a 1.0 too, but ive forgot his username, it will come to me laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Mr. P shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I've towed my brothers Mk1 Jetta which is 950kg and it was a long slow journey laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> he broke down and the Lupo was all we had to use, it used up loads of petrol and had trouble getting up hills! was not a nice experience and I wont be towing anything with it again...

I have a 2000 1.4 s (75bhp)

Obviously lighter things will be easier, I would imagine a 450kg trailer would be fine?

Pual with his TDI regualy had his trailor on his, the trailer was the size that would carry a small car (lupo), he carried on it his go kart or scrambler every other week, tho did have a x mas tree on it too once

I have a 1.0l lupo and I had to tow my brother in his MK11 Golf GTi from Lutterworth to Leicester once. Was slow to start but once got going was fine, I almost forgot I was towing at one point and had to slow down abit, but that was when the lupo was about 18 months old, not sure what she'd do now!