bloody paint

shelvey

hay guys has anyone had any problems matching reflex silver paint as had a door done and is the wrong shade it was LA7W +D and it was well wrong so got some mixed again now its now la7w +l any help would be grate.

many thanks.

Don't mean to sound funny, but are you sure it's reflex silver and not moon silver?

I was parked next to Mcbeal_88 and near to wayneVR6 who both have moon silver GTis yesterday. Mcbeals is on a 03 plate and their cars are more a yellowy tone where as mine is a bluey tone.

If the sprayer is using paint codes, I thought it would be pretty close.

However I had a job done on my Silver Cavalier many moons ago. The panels never really matched. I was later advised by a guy who knew his stuff that Vauxhall would have used about 8 layers to build the colour, whereas the cheaper guy I used probably used 4 max. So it's no wonder it didn't match.

Ray

it is reflelx mate iv checked in the boot and in the book and thats the code i thought that it would be well easy but it isnt.

there is 4 paint chips to chose from same paint code but not shade.

if ur just having the door done ur never going to match panel to panel, ur best bet is to blend colour through the front wing and through the rear quarter, the body shop should of told u that before you got it done

I have to admit, I've never heard of Moon Silver until people mentioned it on here. I've yet to see any literature that gives any reference to Moon Silver, but I'll take your word for it that it exists... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

In answer to your question... Every colour produced by VW, or any other manufacturer, will have 3 mix variants to it's colour code. One standard mix, one with less metal flake, and one with more metal flake... in typical circumstances. The standard mix is what you'll get in a can from Halfrauds etc, or any paint mixers if you ask for the paint using the stock code printed in the car. If you spray in this colour, chances are you'll get a finish that is very near matching.

If you mix paint to a colour sample, then chances are you'll use one of the other two mixes, to ensure a decent match. The difference in metal flake will give a lighter or darker finish, better matching any fade in the original panel. Also, spraying technique will also differ the final colour, if spraying a metallic.

That's my understanding, what what smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

thanks for all the help like i said iv got more paint now so will try againe now and let you guys know how i get on.

as for fliking in the wing and the quarter that would be a good thing as panel to panel will show up i will talk to my boss as he is the one

who has painted it mint job like glass but the shade is a brownish.

Moon silver exists, its on mine too which is a 2002 6 spd. I did accidentally buy reflex silver when i needed a touch up, tbh i didnt notice the difference side by side. But on all of the car, or even a panel you would blatantly see the difference!

I had my front arche painted the other day and is a perfect match,had no colour blending done

i thought you did mate as you had that arch rolling problem did,nt you do you know wot paint shade it was.

Na don't think so, he got the code from my car an made sure an it was just reflex silver.

SH*T IV GOT REFLEX SILVER +L SHADE BUT WHEN WE HAD THE PAINT BLOKE OUT WITH THE 4 CHIPS IT COULD BE THAT WAS THE BEST MATCH.