Spraying the loops rear bumper - Help please........

Lynsey

I have been given a rather good idea by someone (who's name will go unmentioned) about painting the rear and front lower bumpers so they're the same colour as the body work smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If anyone has done this before I would be grateful of some advice as to where to start for example :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yes Alan VW - I know you can help but please share the info you have wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Cheers guys/gals

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lynsey!

I would get it done by the professionals, the plastic will need a special primer, it works out a lot less hassle! Also if you have ever treated the lower bumper sections (back to black etc) it will need `de-greasing` for the paint to "stick" the pro's have all the `de-greasers` needed for the job. Shop around get written estimates, all the bigger garages should have all the latest paints e.g. ICI Waterbased or Sikkens. If, when you have it done there are tiny lumps in the paint get them to polish them out, these small lumps are bits of dust, dirt, etc they can be flattened out with a wet and dry paper then polished using a polish like `T-Cut`, good luck!

Cheers!

Yeah I'm definatley gonna have it done professionally but dunno how they do it like do they have to have the car in for over a day or so or what? ???

Seeing as its the front and rear I want doing I don't know how they do what and whatever ???

It'll look brill once its done so want it done asap :sigh:

Ummm, they will probably need the bumpers for about a day or two, the thing is they can and probably will take them off the car but you can't drive around with no bumpers so you will probably be carless for a day or two sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Just make sure that when you pick the car up that the bumpers have not distorted, this can happen when the bumper is not properly supported when the paint is being baked off, paint has to be baked to harden, this is done in huge drive in ovens!!

professionals - in other words no cowboys!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

emm, they told me it would take 3days ... but i got down on my nees and said please cant do with out the car that long.... had it done be4 llunch same day!!

that was good going

should look a lot better once its all done. i often wonder why on the audi s3 they have the black plastic bumper section on them!

Well my first quote is £400 :0 yes that's £400 for spraying the 2 lower bumpers and spraying a new spoiler at the same time so using all the same paint ???

Guess I'm still looking for new quotes..... :sigh:

Keep ya posted biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

:0 :0 400 squid is a lot of money, wanna come over and get it done for free :sigh: biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

BTW i need pics as maybe doing the same on my car, could you please get it sprayed before my car has 45.000km? it now has 43k and counting tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

thats about 28k Miles... where do u be going?

I think it would look class.... so get your tumb out and it done, both of ye tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Going to try another spraying place next saturday - its easier to get them to look at the loop and give me a quote rather than them guessing over the phone :thumbs:

I just hope they come up with something cheaper or the credit card is gonna be red hot very soon tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p

Oh well money's for spending! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Alan VW)
its better to get into the car, and drive aound instead of ringing

Don't worry loopy's coming with me `where-ever` I go.... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I need to see pics first tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Pictures of what dare I ask?!! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p

Should I be worried?! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Can't wait til Saturday now - to go out getting new quotes :thumbs: the week goes sooooooooo slow and weekends fly by :sarc:

Pretty sure the pics requested were of your car with the trim painted but I’m sure we wouldn’t complain if you wanted to post pics of something else wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Crusoe)
Pretty sure the pics requested were of your car with the trim painted but I’m sure we wouldn’t complain if you wanted to post pics of something else  ;)  :D

Honestly you men biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You could always join Fran at the next car wash, think there is another one this weekend biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

LOL I was referring to the car with the bits painted... but i still ain't seen you while you've already seen me D'oh! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Crusoe)
You could always join Fran at the next car wash, think there is another one this weekend  :D  :D  :D

And where is this so called "car wash" then? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hey luporacer, sounds like there is another volenteer to help raise money for a good cause

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The next bikini car wash is infront of my house :sigh:

doh! sorry it's about 600 miles south on Sun the 25th in cardiff car wash details