Gearbox wont select 1st

Just got back from a 240mile round trip and my car wont go into 1st. All other gears seem ok, well 2nd seems a bit notchy.

Is this likely to be a linkage, or a knackered gear box?

Rough price to fix at VW?

G

will deffinatley be costly if the car is out of warranty, mine went 2 years ago and i lost both first and second. it was done under warranty luckily - but basically, they had to strip the box down and replace about 5 different things.

also mine lost first gear again about a month ago in exactly the same circumstances (crunching second gear) - so i took it in and the mechanic managed to get it back just by playing around with the gears.... i still booked it in for piece of mind but all they did was adjust the linkages as best they could. but its still seems to drag a little bit going into first sometimes.

these boxes must be crap.

another point to add, there is a special tool that they use to do the job and the dealers had to order it in from germany..... the cost for the tool alone was apparently £300. i dunno how much truth there is in that mind.

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

im not really sure to be honest. with it being warranty work, the garage just dealt with the whole thing. i cant see their being much change from a grand though.

on a lighter note, if you have been loyal to the dealers servicing etc, they may be able to pull a few strings. a gearbox should not be having a major rebuild after a few years....

its just one of those things i guess.

Just out of interest Panya, how many miles did your box have on it when it went the first time?

My car is two months out of warranty and hasnt even covered 30,000 yet.

same thing happened to me, couldnt get into first and there was a horrible noise coming from the box...went into a local garage, they replaced a gear and the clutch - 500£

Funnily enough, it all happened after a long journey with me sitting at 80 most of the way. Car had done 40K miles...fine up until now, although theres been an annoying whining noise coming from the gearbox ever since.

they must be junk.

Good Luck!

Hmmm coincidence about it happening after long journeys?

Weird thing is i have had no warning, it just went.

Didn't do another one of them dodgy gear changes did you laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

This happened to me - it kept going away and coming back.

This (temporarily) fixed it for me: from standstill, hold the gearstick toward 1st with the clutch dipped, and slowly bring the clutch up. I heard a loud bang and everything was back to normal.

When it first happened for me, I couldn't get it in to gear at all (maybe 6th and 5th at a push) 4th came back, then 3rd and 2nd (although it was notchy). 1st took the above to get back.

It did go a couple of times again after that, fixed it in pretty much the same way. VW said it was an adjustment and wouldn't fix it under my extended warranty.

Eventually all of the oil fell out of my gearbox and it fell to bits, so I got a brand spanker on my 4th year warranty.

How old is your car?

If its under 5 years, you should get a chuck of cash towards the repair from VWUK (0800 711811)

Give them a call now with the dealerships name and phone number and get them open a case, they'll chace it with them for you as well.

How old is your car?

If its under 5 years, you should get a chuck of cash towards the repair from VWUK (0800 711811)

Give them a call now with the dealerships name and phone number and get them open a case, they'll chace it with them for you as well.

Ok thanks, will give them a call.

Ok thanks, will give them a call.

had this problem as well am on my 4th gearbox which has bein rebuilt twice bein told reason why the boxes r so crap it cos of the gade of metal the cogs are made from my last rebuild cos me 350 quid and that was for new gears and bearings in total i have spent 1800 quid on gearboxes so far and mines 7 year but ive ownd it 5 years and it got 94k on the clock laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Just an update.

Car went into VW yesterday and they managed to fix it by adjusting the linkage and the selector cables, so cost 1 hours labour. Wonder when it will die again!