n/s front vibration/rumble/noise

I have a 2000 TDi Sport which I've had for about 4 months. Bought it as a cheap sensible run around, but have since found it to be thoroughly good fun and surprisingly quick.

Anyway, I've noticed a noise/vibration/rumble coming form the front n/s wheel/gearbox area. I sent it to the dealer, who initially refused to accept there was any noise at all although after I took them for a drive they agreed there was a rather strange noise eminating from the area which I've described. They kept the car in over the weekend and apparently they've taken the dashboard out and secured the heater/blower ducting more securely. Suffice to say, the noise is still there!!!

The noise occurs at all speeds and increases with speed. The best way to make it happen is to drive in 5th @ 40mph on a very very light throttle. This then causes a vibration which can be felt through the floor of the passenger side and the noise sounds as if the n/s tyre is running over a rumble strip but quieter.

Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas? I'm pretty good wth diagnosing things but this has stumped me. It's definately not a wheel balance problem or a tyre issue. Feels more gearboxy to me. Help!!!!

Sorry Dan, I've never had a car long enough for mechanical bits to wear out so i'm not much of an expert (i'll leave it to someone else) suggections would be the wheel bearing, common and causes a grumbling noise (see if it's noiser with the windows down or if it is an internal noise) could be a worn half shaft or gear box bearings have been known to go on VWs as well.

Drive shaft wear should be noisier on full lock.

don't know if that helps but i'm sure others will comment. :thumbs:

Thanks for the ideas mate,

It's definately not a wheel bearing, but I'm thinking along the same lines when you say it could be gearbox related. It only happens when the engine/drivetrain isn't under load therefore possibly allowing bearings to rattle!? I just find it hard to believe that the gearbox could be buggered on a 2 1/2 year old car. Saying that, the TDi is on the torquey side, so that could perhaps go some way to explaining it.

Any more suggestions,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Well, little Loopy has been back to the dealer again for them to investigate what they describe as a resonance. It apparently spent the whole day being spannered and test driven (even by the manager!!!!) only for them to come to the conclusion that.......

It's a small Diesel and they all do it!!!! Shocking.

They did admit that they hadn't worked on many and there may be a problem, but they didn't know what it was. They also said that they have sent an `e-mail` to VW asking for advice, but that this course of action doesn't usually come to much unless there is a known problem.

So, in order to test the clever dealers theory, is there anyone out there with a TDi in or around S.London / Surrey who fancies meeting up so we can compare Diesel resonances. I'm not convinced this is the reason, but if I can find other cars that don't make the same noises, then I may be able to use this as a bargaining tool when I speak to VW direct.

Help!!!!!

Dan ???

• 3 weeks later...

Dan - dont know any TDi owners down their, but there is a Tyresmoke meet in Windsor once per month, and quite often a few Diesel drivers turn up there, it is possibel that someone might be able to identify the noise - best I can suggest I'm afraid.

Iv got the same problem mate, still dont know what it is, its been in 3 times, and everytime they say nothing is wrong. I just book it straight back in and will do untill they admit it is the gearbox. Its booked in on the 26th so if I get any joy i'll let you know. If not i'll just book it in again. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 1 month later...

I have a similar noise on my SDI lupo. its a 99T with 63000 on the clock. In 3rd/4th and 5th/ gear @ 40mph + i get a whining noise with light and no throttle.

Does you n/s front vibration/rumble/noise happen with the clutch down and in gear/in neutral?? Mine does not - wonder if they could be the same couse with a different noise!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem except my Lupo is a 1.0i Petrol Engine. The noise seems to start when i am parked up with the engine on (in neutral) When you press the clutch the noise stops. It seems the longer you leave it in neutral the louder the noise gets. Its like a clicking noise which rumbles. Has anyone found out what this is yet??

please let me know

• 3 weeks later...

good news mine is doing the same and it is the thrust bearing in the gearbox confirmed by vw and a few other people go to vw if it is still under warranty as it is very expensive mine is a 1.4 s and i was quoted 469.27 new clutch and thrust bearing fitted by vw ???

• 2 weeks later...