The Little Red Button ? ? ? ?

Mikey_M

Hello all

Can anyone tell me what the hell is the little red button ive found hidden away is all about? ? I brought Jens old green Lupo "Garthie" from someone fron the VW garage around 4 weeks ago. Its been quite modded up with Centre Twin Exhaust fitted etc. Its only a 1 Litre and i cant belive how nippy it is. It leaves most cars standing (within reason) until they catch me up! Its faster 0 - 60 then my previous 1.4 Pug 206. Is this normal? Is this because of the exhaust? Or has he been messing around with the engine? Dont know much about Mods to the engine so wouldnt really know what to look for. Nothing looks different under the bonnet etc.

Now this red button ive found. Just in the middle on the centre console is 5 plugs which you can pull out and mess with the electrics im guessing? I noticed today that one of them had a man made hole in the middle?

Thought this was weird so il pulled it off and nothing was there? I then pulled the next one off and there is was hanging there. A red button attached to 2 wires? Thats what the hole was for and why had the chap pulled it back through and hidden it?

So i thought here goes! Hung on tightly to the steering wheel closed my eyes and pressed it ! The electrics seemed to fade as the stereo sort of stutterd and then i lost power? I stopped at the lights and pressed it again? The same thing happend with the stereo and i heard the exhaust sort of blow then a little smoke ? ? Is this a boost thing or what? Didnt want to try it again whilst accelerating just in case?

Well there you go. Sorry if im being thick and its just a simple switch of some kind. Thanks for taking the time out to read my post. All your thought are very much welcome.

Many thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikey_M

whatever its wired to to its not wired very well.... if ur exhaust bangs and puffs of smoke maybe has tried to fit a flamer kit to the exhaust

just a random guess

could be anythin really

follow the wires see where they head should bring u an answer

Yeah sounds like a flamer kit, Mate had two on his 300zx twin turbo, but a poorly fitted one, your lights dim because of the power the "sparkplug" in the exhaust is having pumped through to it to ignite the unburnt fuel, get rid of it matey if you can itwont do your exhaust any good.

Id get an auto eletrician to have a look to see what else hes "tinkered" with tbh

it doesnt sound like something that the previous owner (guy after me) would have done. he drives in the VW cup and i cant imagine him installing something so 'chavvy' as a flamer kit! but you can never be sure i suppose. check the exhaust and see if a spark plug has been installed towards the backbox end and definately get it checked by an auto electrician! (btw it was nothing i added! hehe)

it doesnt sound like something that the previous owner (guy after me) would have done. he drives in the VW cup and i cant imagine him installing something so 'chavvy' as a flamer kit! but you can never be sure i suppose. check the exhaust and see if a spark plug has been installed towards the backbox end and definately get it checked by an auto electrician! (btw it was nothing i added! hehe)

Flamer kits only work on petrol cars with turbo chargers IIRC.

Thats what makes me think its not a flamer kit, as I would have thought Daryl would have known this.

NOS?? thats been half removed?

Some sort of home made immobiliser thingy?

Especially seen as the switch / button is hidden.

If the engine is cut whilst in gear (by pressing the button)

Then the engine is re-started (by pressing the button again) car still in gear,

the car will backfire (which causes the loud bang!)

You can cause the same effect by driving down the road

& turning the ignition off & on again whilst in gear & in motion.

But i really would't advise it......

As said before, i'd get it checked out....

Flamer kits only work on petrol cars with turbo chargers IIRC.

No one of the uk champions at a show in 2003 was an NA 1.1 cinquecento

NOS?? thats been half removed?
quite possible is suppose smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Some sort of home made immobiliser thingy?

Especially seen as the switch / button is hidden.

If the engine is cut whilst in gear (by pressing the button)

Then the engine is re-started (by pressing the button again) car still in gear,

the car will backfire (which causes the loud bang!)

sounds quite likely but sounds odd that you would hide it in a place thats hard or not easy to get to should i say its more likely to be on the bottom of the dash out of sight but quickly pressable

wayne

i must admit i think your brave pushing it...especially when your driving along!

lol laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i agree

starter button sounds about right imo. dont think it wud be noz unless sum1 realy wanted it in a 1.0 :/

oh wht alarm do u have on the car as i know some ie cobra you need to do sumthing to switch the imboiliser on and off

lol I know! I did think to myself should i really press this when driving but thought what the hell! what can happen wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Theres a Toad alarm on there. When i said that this button was hidden i meant that it was prob hidden from me when i was looking at the car to buy ? ? ? As he has made a hole in one of the plugs so that this switch could be put through ? ? ?