Oil Filter

AbiL

Today I visited VW to pick up a couple of parts, thought I would buy a service kit while I was there, told him my mileage age and so on, and instead of a screw in oil filter he gave me like a cartridge filter and said because I had done 66k I only needed to change this and not the screw in filter that I thought has to be chaged every 10k, Im not doubting him, but he should of gave me the screw in filter shouldn't he? They must be changed every service big or small? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

cant think what else you could be meaning by cartridge filter confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

wayne

it a paper element filter

Your oil should be changed every service.

Maybe he gave you a fuel filter, they are normally changed around 60,000 miles.

You need to look at the service shedual for your car, and id also suggest you only service your car yourself, if you know what your doing.

You will do your car damage, if you dont service it right.

Looking at my service book, the car has always been serviced at a VW dealer, but the oil change box hasn't been ticked once. Is that normal? I thought it should be done at least every year. Tossers.

I thought it should be done at least every year.

every year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first if i rememeber correctly?

and steve paper filter? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

wayne

Looking at my service book, the car has always been serviced at a VW dealer, but the oil change box hasn't been ticked once. Is that normal? I thought it should be done at least every year. Tossers.

I wouldnt worry about all the boxes ticked, ive yet to see a service history where they have bothered.

What i definately would want is the receipts for the services, it is stupid to throw these away. Stamps mean jack diddly sh**, you can buy them off the internet for £20 a pop.

When i turn up to buy a car, i want to see service receipts. If there are no receipts kept, i will ring the garage that supposedly done it.

If it's not on their records, then i dont buy the car.

Edited by LoopGTI

none of the petrol lupos use an element type filter... they all use spin on oil filters equivilent to Mann+Hummel - W712/52

VW part no : 030 115 561AB

Maybe he gave you a fuel filter, they are normally changed around 60,000 miles.

You will do your car damage, if you dont service it right.

hmm does sound like he's given you a fuel filter, but you should change the oil if your doing a service, and if your doing an oil change theirs no point in not changing the oil filter...

also, skipping an oil change probably wont damage the car, but its reccomended for a reason.

It's more important, to change the oil more regularly if you do lots of short journeys.

You should at least change the oil every year or 12K miles. I like to change oil every 6-8K miles with a high quality semi synthetic.<<< This is assuming you have a N/A car like a Lupo. If you had a highly tuned Turbo like an Evo, then you would service more regular and use an appropriate oil.

Always replace the filter when you change oil, ALWAYS use genuine service parts from your local Main Dealer. Don't go to halfords for any service parts.

ALWAYS use genuine service parts from your local Main Dealer. Don't go to halfords for any service parts.

so for what reason shouldn't someone go to a motor factors to buy their service parts?

fair enough halfords cos they wont be right for the application...

after market filters arent going to cause any problems.

i sell filters from Fram, Meta Filter, Mann + Hummel, Meat & Doria, Bosch, Febi, Meca Filter and loads of other after market manufacturers, and to this day i've never had one back for any reason other than the wrong filter being sent out.

so for what reason shouldn't someone go to a motor factors to buy their service parts?

fair enough halfords cos they wont be right for the application...

after market filters arent going to cause any problems.

i sell filters from Fram, Meta Filter, Mann + Hummel, Meat & Doria, Bosch, Febi, Meca Filter and loads of other after market manufacturers, and to this day i've never had one back for any reason other than the wrong filter being sent out.

None are better quality than the OE ones. Oil filters are £10, there is no reason why you shouldn't fit OE filters. Also Spark plugs, Fuel Filters, HT Leads etc.

Car manufacturers have their service parts made by the best manufacturers to the highest standards of quality, aftermarket ones (can) be of lesser quality, so dont risk it.

Edited by LoopGTI

im not too sure on this but ive been told that gsf get there parts from the same warehouse all vw/seat/skoda/audi dealerships get them.

if u want to get me the part number i can check it for you (im a parts advisor blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> )

None are better quality than the OE ones. Oil filters are £10, there is no reason why you shouldn't fit OE filters. Also Spark plugs, Fuel Filters, HT Leads etc.

Car manufacturers have their service parts made by the best manufacturers to the highest standards of quality, aftermarket ones (can) be of lesser quality, so dont risk it.

Ok so which one of us is the Automotive Parts Consultant here?

If aftermarket filters werent upto OE spec, We would only sell OE Filters.

But we dont. We sell Several brands. Not to mention the fact that VOLKSWAGEN DONT MAKE THERE OWN FILTERS. Infact Mann + Hummel make more than 90% of the Filters that volkswagen sell! Mann + Hummel also make most of the inlet manifolds you see used on todays volkswagen engines!!

Oil filter from VW £10? I can do you the EXACT SAME oil filter for around £3 + Vat... Only difference is it doesnt have VW printed on it. its still made in exactly the same factory, in 100% exactly the same way.

Also - if car manufacturers parts are to the highest standard of quality, why is it that a lot of mechanics wouldn't buy genuine parts even if they were competitively priced?

Before you start telling people what parts they should use to service there cars, you should perhaps get a little more insight into the Parts industry, and the people who fit these parts all day long, day in day out!

No offence to you, but your judgement is similar to that of someone who wont buy a jacket cos it doesn't say PRADA on it.

im not too sure on this but ive been told that gsf get there parts from the same warehouse all vw/seat/skoda/audi dealerships get them.

if u want to get me the part number i can check it for you (im a parts advisor blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> )

GSF also deal primarily in Mann + Hummel filters, as do a lot of the Motor Factors in the UK.

As said in the comment above, Mann + Hummel Manufacture filters for Volkswagen and a load more vehicle manufacturers. The ones GSF, or EuroCarParts, Andrew Page, or even CES sell you, wont have the same part numbers on so that they can be identified as being after market for Vehicle Manufacturer warranty purposes (As you well know, a manufacturer will do anything to get out of paying for a warranty claim.

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Do you think im stupid ? you sound asif you do, and before you assume i dont know any mechanics, i know a good few.

I diddnt say which brands were good and which weren't. I never suggested that VW make their own parts. I said aftermarket parts CAN be of lesser quality.

You can always trust OE parts, OK so maybe not OE refurb clutches.

Congratulations you are an expert on oil filters, you are the oil filter guru, well done. clap.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":clap:" border="0" alt="clap.gif" />

Not everybody knows what you know about oil filters, especially the girl that started this post. If she goes along to her local main dealer, she cant go wrong.

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Do you think im stupid ? you sound asif you do, and before you assume i dont know any mechanics, i know a good few.

I diddnt say which brands were good and which weren't. I never suggested that VW make their own parts. I said aftermarket parts CAN be of lesser quality.

You can always trust OE parts, OK so maybe not OE refurb clutches.

Congratulations you are an expert on oil filters, you are the oil filter guru, well done. clap.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":clap:" border="0" alt="clap.gif" />

Not everybody knows what you know about oil filters, especially the girl that started this post. If she goes along to her local main dealer, she cant go wrong.

All i'm saying is that if your not a brand snob, then you can get the same stuff from any TRUSTED motor factors for far less money!

I dont think your stupid, more you giving out false information such as your "their is no reason whatsoever not to buy genuine parts" comment... Somebody has to correct it...

Anyone who buys a Refurb clutch of any variety is silly...

True some after market parts can be *****, such as halfords ones as you mentioned above, but the majority of them wouldn't be made if they werent upto the job.

as for an expert in oil filters??? In a years time i'll have forgotten more about car parts than 90% of people will ever learn about them!

If she goes along to her local main dealer, she cant go wrong.

Can't go wrong at all, especially when they've sold her a fuel filter, skipped the oil filter and not even told her what the fuel filter actualy is...

That said - I can see your point entirely with people like halfords putting the aftermarket parts industry in shame...

and i have absolutely no idea why i am defending aftermarket parts... lol

Edited by nfbr

I purchase my consuable car parts from VW. mainly because I get them at a much reduced rate.

Oil filter was £2.50.

I change the oil every 6000 miles or every six month. Used to run a forced indution car so its a habit.

I also have a tame mechanic who carries this out for me for next to nothing.

Nfbr can attain to my limited knowhow when it comes to my car.

Regards

Angelo

Hiya guys,

It must be a fuel filter then, how ever when I said I need a service kit he sould of sold me an oil filter too? Ill go back to VW this week and sort it,

Thanks for all your help guys

Hiya guys,

It must be a fuel filter then, how ever when I said I need a service kit he sould of sold me an oil filter too? Ill go back to VW this week and sort it,

Yes you need an oil filter aswel

Hiya guys,

You should tell them which service you are going to carry out. Either an annual standard, or a major service.

In my experience, you can never rely on the parts guys to give you the correct parts. Get yourself a workshop manual for your car, so that you know what needs changing and when.

You should tell them which service you are going to carry out. Either an annual standard, or a major service.

In my experience, you can never rely on the parts guys to give you the correct parts. Get yourself a workshop manual for your car, so that you know what needs changing and when.

They dont do a workshop manual for the Lupo.

What needs doing will be in your "Service Schedual" in your little leather book that you should have got with the car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by nfbr

Just my 2p's worth regaqrding spark plugs.

£11 each from VW.

Identical NGK plugs from independant parts dealer (same NGK part number marked on the ceramic but without the black inked on VW/Audi badge on) £11 for all 4.

I certainly would not have paid four times the price for 4 VW/Audi printed logos on the parts.

Remember here, VW do not manufacture all the service components their vehicles require (as stated by Al earlier in the thread).