Mk3 Golf gti 16v ABF lump into mk1 Arosa?

g-man85

Just thinking how easy would one of these conversions be as I know the 1.8t's are a pretty labour intensive job. But the ABF 2l 16v lumps are coming across cheap now and a healthy lump with minor mods will often have 160hp.

Has anyone done this conversion at all? As I'm looking into a cheap'ish project on a mk1 arosa 1.0 as they're fairly cheap to buy now. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

2.0l 16v is quite a tall motor. You might struggle to get it into place, without modding the bonnet. Gearbox and driveshafts would be the only tricky bit. You should be able to run the motors stock ecu, but you'd need to replace the entire Arosa loom with the 16v item. At a guess... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

2.0l 16v is quite a tall motor. You might struggle to get it into place, without modding the bonnet. Gearbox and driveshafts would be the only tricky bit. You should be able to run the motors stock ecu, but you'd need to replace the entire Arosa loom with the 16v item. At a guess... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I wasn't sure about the ECU, which is why i thought about it!

Thinking about the size of the block, you are right. But if its too tricky then i'll give it a miss as ideally wanted a fairy straight forward project. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

No conversion is ever straight forward. If you want simplicity, then buy one ready built and tune it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

No conversion is ever straight forward. If you want simplicity, then buy one ready built and tune it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Not many conversions around, and I did consider the 1.4 16v turbo one.

Might just save up for a Lupo GTI wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

You could get around the gearbox/driveshafts problem by using a lupo gti box/shafts, as this bolts to the tall block golf engine. You would have to mount it but should be quite straightforward. All in, i'd have thought its not that bad a conversion.

adam B was thinking of using the ibiza 2.0 16v in his mk1 arosa which i assume would be the same lump and from what i rememeber he said it wasnt that far off on fitting?

would be a nice conversion them 1.8T are way too common now

wayne

The only reason why i considered it was that:

a) The lumps are far cheaper and becoming more common

cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Engines less complex generally for conversions

Yeah the seat Ibiza 16v engines are identical.

I can pick up a mk1 arosa 1.0 for around £1400 and the engine and gearbox relatively cheap at under £500 for a good one.

The one thing i was'nt sure was the dreaded wiring loom-as that is the pig's ear i really didn't want to touch.

i know of a front ended arosa for sale for £400 if your interested?

i would efo think this is possible but as said its up to YOU whether its worth it, if you pick a bad engine that hasnt been kept well and dont spend good money setting the car up right to match with suspension etc you could end up with a car that is slower and no where near as good as a lupo gti in which case it would NOT be worth it

wayne

I'm usually into my mk2 golfs, and I know an ABF conversion is more or straight forward.

Think I might have a little more research if there's too much problems with gearboxes and driveshafts.

Might speak to my local mechanics who offer this conversions and see what they think.

*Panto Mode Switched On*

"Oh No It Won't"

Taking bets now...

The lupo gti uses an 020 gearbox, which is what was used on a mk2 golf. Obviously they've changed through the years (cable change, hyd clutch) but the bell housing bolts and clutch alignment remain the same.