Brake Fluid Change - GTI

GTI Specific from ELSA.

Editted due to the LHD instructions!

Carry out work sequence as follows:

‒ Use suction bottle to extract as much brake fluid as possible from brake fluid reservoir.

‒ Connect brake filling and bleeder unit V.A.G 1869 to brake fluid reservoir using adapter V.A.G 1869/1 (do not switch on).

‒ Fit brake depressor V.A.G 1869/2 between driver's seat and brake pedal and tension.

‒ Switch on brake filling and bleeding appliance.

‒ Open bleed screw of respective brake caliper and allow the corresponding quantity flow out (see following table). Used brake fluid is pushed out of the system by pumping in new fluid

Sequence:

Brake fluid quantity which must flow out of wheel cylinders or brake

calipers:

Rear left

400 ... 500 cm3

Rear right

400 ... 500 cm3

Front left

400 ... 500 cm3

Front right

400 ... 500 cm3

Total quantity: approx. 2 litres

‒ Close bleeder screws after sequence.

‒ Switch off brake filling and bleeding appliance.

‒ Take connections off brake fluid reservoir and remove pedal depressor.

‒ Check pedal pressure and brake pedal free play. Free play: max. 1/3 of pedal travel.

Its time to change my brake fluid and was wondering how difficult it is on the GTI?

Also am I right to believe that I have to bleed the clutch too, as its part of the same system.

Sequence:

Clutch first then

Rear Pass

Rear Drivers

Front Pass

Front Drivers

Cheers

That bleeding order sounds right (if the master cylinder is on the drivers side anyway). I've bled the system a couple of times now and it was straight forward, caliper bleed nipples (used an 11mm rachet spanner to undo them) are easy to get to even with the wheels on, the fronts are a little bit akward but reachable with full lock on the steering. Are you using a one man bleeder kit or will someone be helping ? I found the ezi bleed one way valve tubing from halfords pretty good, seals nice and tight. I Just made sure not too depress the brake pedal all the way to the floor to avoid messing the ms seals, and regularly check the fluid reservoir, didn't bleed the clutch either.

Cheers for all your help:

So if I use the bleed kit

Empty as much old fluid our of the resivoir, then fill with new

Bleed each corner and once a nipple is open I gently push the brake bedal, unless I use a presurised bleed kit that uses a tyre etc.

Sorry.........done everything to a car but bleed brakes before. Hate messing with fluids that is not an engine oil smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cheers for all your help:

So if I use the bleed kit

Empty as much old fluid our of the resivoir, then fill with new

Bleed each corner and once a nipple is open I gently push the brake bedal, unless I use a presurised bleed kit that uses a tyre etc.

Sorry.........done everything to a car but bleed brakes before. Hate messing with fluids that is not an engine oil smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Best way is one person pumping the pedal and one person fiddling with the nipples laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> using a tube and a jar.

(man 1) You put your foot on the brake pedal with pressure, (man 2) undo the nipple, (man 1 shout) when the pedal touches the floor (man 2) do up the nipple and (man 1) release the pedal.

Keep the end of the tube under the surface of the fluid in the jar as your bleeding.

Repeat this until there is no air coming through any of the nipples, if your brakes still dont feel hard enough do it all again.

In my own opinion i dont rate the easy bleed kits at all, best way is a still a tube and a jar.

So there should be about 2 litres of fluid in the system at any one time??

You should just be careful that the fluid level in the resevoir doesnt drop belew about minimum, and keep watching it because if it drops to the pipework your gonna suck air into the system.

Edited by LoopGTI