do you care about the future?

Adam K

Amazingly, I agree with Tim. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Who's to say what's going to happen in the future but one thing is for certain, the world's resources are not infinite and if everyone chooses to consume as quickly as they can we'll start running out of things sooner rather than later.

I'm probably not going to have kids, but I don't want to f**k up what's here out of choice for future generations. That's just unbelievably selfish. If everyone made a little effort it would make a huge difference.

Sadly, human nature is to use everything then worry about it when it runs out. It's pathetic really.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they thought like you, you wouldnt be here for starters and you certainly wouldnt be living with them...

we kind of all have a duty to look after the future so other people can exist beyond us and have a life worth living - well thats my opinion...

yes, obviously i wouldn't be here, but you make it sound like it should be compulsory to have children.

personally i wouldn't want to have a child that has to grow up in this country/world.

No thats not what I am saying I was using it to show that your idea of not looking after the future is flawed

And we have the best quality of life ever (in history), the fact we even chat on a forum about the future shows something about the level of choice and freedom we have.

No thats not what I am saying I was using it to show that your idea of not looking after the future is flawed

And we have the best quality of life ever (in history), the fact we even chat on a forum about the future shows something about the level of choice and freedom we have.

what have we got to look forward to apart from new crappy laws that make living more miserable, alleged globally warming and global demise, more big brother tactics from the government, taxes, taxes, and more taxes, and the way that criminals of today make a mockery of our justice system (or lack of it?).

yeah, i'd really like to bring a child into that rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

better than slavery and being dead by 30

never being alive in the first place is a better option.

all i'm saying is that for people who don't want kids, we will be dead in 50 years time anyway, hopefully sooner (living till i'm 80 isn't my idea of fun).

in 50 years the country will be one big politically correct, big brother controlled, green car driving hell hole.

personally for me i get enjoyment from so many things that the government want to outlaw or outprice so that we have to give them up. why would i want to bring a child into a place that i already resent being in anyway? if other people want to bring children into the world then fair enough, but i don't think everyone else should have to suffer because of it.

Why should I work to pay for the scroungers to go to Uni tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

i don't think you do pay for me. i pay my uni fees out of my own money, and any student loan i get i have to pay back anyway.

plus i pay NI, and income tax as i work almost full time anyway.

Edited by Adam K

Where does the loan come from?

Do you think the student fees pays for the whole education system?

Just a small amount of the costs, most of it is still paid for by the general public, most of which havn't been to uni.

Most of us dont mind though, as when I need to go to a NHS Hospital (I cant afford private, as I dont live with my Mum) its good to know they have been trained!

Where does the loan come from?

Do you think the student fees pays for the whole education system?

Just a small amount of the costs, most of it is still paid for by the general public, most of which havn't been to uni.

Most of us dont mind though, as when I need to go to a NHS Hospital (I cant afford private, as I dont live with my Mum) its good to know they have been trained!

how was me going to uni got anything to do with whether u care about the future?

it's like crusoe and the NHS. he says he'd like to be able to opt out, but you can't.

well the same goes for paying for people to go to uni.

and i don't pay for private healthcare cos i live with my parents, i get it because it's part of my benefits package through work, and IMO all employers would do well to provide private healthcare bearing in mind the poor state the NHS is in.

Edited by Adam K

I've never had any problems with the NHS, I've got a large family and they wouldn't have any complaints either.

Except the dentist, I think the NHS is in a good state.

Its a political tool, and something to help sell news papers.

never being alive in the first place is a better option.

So you'd rather you had never been born? Odd opinion!

I agree with Tim & Bigmon, and Mike's made some very good points.

I'm not even remotely an environmentalist, but I don't think we should sit here not giving a **** about anything. I also believe that life is what you make it, so if there's nothing in life to look forward to (as you seem to sugggest Adam), it's your own fault.

Perhaps one day you'll fall in love (God help her) and your opinion will change.

And as for the NHS comments - do any of you who think it's pointless and only believe in the private system actually realise how much the private system uses the NHS???? I think you'd be surprised if you knew! Maybe while we're at it we shouldn't bother with state schools either. Get rid of Radio 1, 2 etc.All roads should be privatised with toll charges on them.Wow, I'm lokking forward to your future!!

Also, there's comments about what the place will be like in 50 years time. You seem to think that everything will continue for that length of time in it's current direction. Go back 50 years, look at the direction of things at that time, and tell me if we've continued on that path? I think not. We're living under the current government's ideas. As they go and new governments come, I think things will change quite a bit. Some for the better, some for the worse.

But no-one will change your mind at the moment (not that I think they are). It'll just take a change in your situation to do that.

Adam - Are you a single child, have no missus and suffer from that seasonal depression thing?

no i'm not an only child, yes i'm single but had an amazing date at the weekend with the girl of my dreams and it went swimmingly well!, and i don't think it's seasonal depression, the future is just bleak wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

ah well, at least they haven't outpriced alcohol out of reach yet, roll on xmas party this weekend!

and yes i'm bitter about lots of things.

The climate is constantly changing. The records contained in the fossils, rocks and soil found in this country show us this.

Wooly mammoths used to live on this island during the last ice age. Before that ice age set in, descendants of animals that now live in Africa lived here because it was a tropical climate.

In the last 100k years we've gone from tropical to ice age and it's now getting warmer again

I'm sure the last bout of tropical weather in this part of Europe wasn't caused by Mrs Smythe-Withers taking the kids to school in her Range Rover

The climate is constantly changing. The records contained in the fossils, rocks and soil found in this country show us this.

Wooly mammoths used to live on this island during the last ice age. Before that ice age set in, descendants of animals that now live in Africa lived here because it was a tropical climate.

In the last 100k years we've gone from tropical to ice age and it's now getting warmer again

I'm sure the last bout of tropical weather in this part of Europe wasn't caused by Mrs Smythe-Withers taking the kids to school in her Range Rover

Agreed.

I not saying we all don't contribute to 'global warming', but I really think there's a very high chance that the climate would be changing the way it is with or without us. Perhaps we should be concentrating on surviving the next massive change, rather than trying to stop what may be inevitable?? (throws the preverbial cat amongst the pigeons)

agreed also

personally i think its mother natures way

dinosaurs had millions of years of the place to themselves, we've had a few hundred thousand, now its getting towards us all dying and marshmallows evolving and taking over

Edited by moreno510

I doubt that humans will be totally wiped out for a good while yet as we have the technology to produce livable artificial environments for ourselves. I think that it will be a pretty grim time when it gets to this stage though as lots and lots of people will die and I can imagine at least half the population will be wiped out. But then sadly that's just nature. We live in an age where for some reason people think it's strange for a tidal wave to occur. We've become complacent in a world that's very unpredictable.

Agreed.

I not saying we all don't contribute to 'global warming', but I really think there's a very high chance that the climate would be changing the way it is with or without us. Perhaps we should be concentrating on surviving the next massive change, rather than trying to stop what may be inevitable?? (throws the preverbial cat amongst the pigeons)

I'm not saying we should all scrap cars and use bicycles but what's wrong with trying to use the earth's natural resources wisely and try and prolong what we've got left? They're not going to last forever so we're going to have to address it eventually.

Whether or not we're contributing to global warming is open to debate. Though it would be interesting to know look how many "against" scientists have hidden agendas, like the "scientists" in the fifties and sixties who told us tobacco was good for us.

Personally I'd rather err on the side of caution than carry on as we are.

Does Gordon Brown pay extra for all the oxygen he breathes in when he does his impression of a fish out of water every other word? He should the pay again for all the ***** he spouts when he speaks!

If you have a wage slip from May 1997 and compare the percentage you take home with what you do now you'll find that your getting less than ever. You've then got all the other taxes and duties he's imposed on us. We've never been poorer.

Future? Move to Nevada.