Help!!

Fran

Hello everybody I'm a bit stuck.

As you may all know I'm moving in to my new flat this friday, and don't want to be without net access for too long.

So I'm wondering if any of you could help me find a good telephone package. Cable is currently out of the picture as its not in the area yet. We don't want Sky TV either so Sky stuff is out of the frame.

We've been looking at talk talk, but I've heard of several people encountering problems with the time it takes for the broadband stuff to come, which would be no good for me as I'm freelancing on top of my job at the moment so need the connection ASAP.

We need a phone provider who either does free, or very cheap international calls as Ben's sister is currently living in Australia. Failing that some good but not too expensive broadband so they can chat via webcam.

Help I'm so confused, I'm gonna need a BT Line anyway but not ringing yet incase they try and talk me in to purchasing call packages I may not want. Ben doesn't mind whatever really.

Blonde moment over!

We've just had NTL installed - it seems good so far, but I don't use it much.

£11 a month, free weekend calls, and if you pay an extra £1.50 a month they give you cheap call abroad (3p a minute to Australian landline).

Alternativly you can sign up with a company called 1899, they do really cheap calls too, but you have to have a landline, and you put a code before the phone number to have it routed throught them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thank you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> NTL isn't available to us though yet *sob sob*

Phoned BT this morning and can't have the line installed properly until 10th Jan anyway. I told her for now that we just wanted the line so have a little while to have a think about making calls smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I went with bt, and bt option 2 for broadband smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

£14.99 a month for 6gb usage broadband, which ive not gone over yet and use loads smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and u get a free home hub smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

if you want cheap or free international calls then i would go with a voip solution rather than through your phoneline.

i use www.internetcalls.com and landline calls to virtually all major european countries are completely free, and landline and mobile calls to american and canada are free.

we went for talk talk international. ordered in may and had it in august, broadband speeds are great (8meg) although there are not many residential users or it near me. 95% of our calls are free and free internet something like £25 per month?, the only down side is the 18 month contact which you'd have to pay £70 to get out of

Sky are going to be offering a free broadband package soon, i think we'll get it as its £3 cheaper per month, and you get the basic sky package.

We're going through this today, moved into our house yesterday and been ringing up all sorts of suppliers today.

Got the BT line connected as of tomorrow which is a start...

Then internet wise, it depends on you exchange. I can't get Be Internet till next april, so I thought I'd pick the best of a bad bunch and went for bulldog, but even they said no. So I'm basically left with dialup, or BT Broadband. So we're going for BT Total Option 3. 40gig useage. Home Hub(wireless router) and BroadBand phone to make internet callsall included for free. Costs 22.99 for the first 3 months, then 26.99 after that.

Basically, once you have the phoneline, you need to find out what you have on offer. Our exchange is shitty so we have no options basically sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Good luck with the move, took us 2 days and we're still going tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by Joe

Well at least you got a tidy day for your bt line - how long did you have to wait for that?

We're starting moving stuff Friday, hope to be done by the new year lol!

Our line was just stopped so was a case of asking for it to be switched back on. If you have no line, I'd say your looking at upto 2 weeks for an engineer to fit everything. although depends on how good your bt engineers are. Ours are slow from what I've heard.

Good luck with the move smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks, 10th January is the earliest time we can get a line. Although we may find out a bit more tomorrow when we have our "Home demonstration".

Apparently the sky dish for the building is active so I'm guessing some sort of line must be there already??

But that may just be me.

Having the keys tomorrow soooo excited biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Bit of an update for you Fran smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I Ordered BT Option 3 on friday and itll be active on the line and having the BT Hub etc etc delivered on friday too. So its around a week from placing the order, to actually getting online smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

How was the move, you still unpacking tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />