16v Sport - Crunchy and stiff gear change - Fixed!

Stu

Hi All,

Another question regarding my girlfriend's car. It's a 2000 V-reg Lupo Sport 1.4 16v (AFK engine) with about 80k miles on it.

Basically she reported that the gearchange was very stiff and would sometimes crunch but only when the engine was hot, from cold the gearchange is fine - quite the opposite of what I'd expect from my experience with old VW's!

So, I started by adjusting the clutch cable which looked a bit worn, so I replaced it and adjusted that one. That made it ok for a few days but then more of the same so I checked and topped up the gearbox oil, it needed about 1/2 litre of synthetic (75w90 I think it was) and again it was ok for a few days then the problem returned.

There does seem to be a little gearbox oil around the part where the selector shaft from the gear selection mechanism goes into the 'box, I assume there is a seal there which isn't too healthy but it's not loosing much oil, not enough to cause the problem to re-occur in a few days anyway.

So... what next? I'm hoping that it running a bit low on oil for a while hasn't knackered the synchro's? From what I read on this and various Polo forums the gearbox is something of a weak point on the Lupo? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Before I start looking for a replacement 'box (anyone know which would fit?) is there anything else I can check? I know on old Golf's you can replace bushes on the selector shafts, adjust the mechanism and use Redline gear oil to help with these things - any similar possible on the Lupo?

Any help much appreicated as I don't think my girlfriend wants to put 'gearbox and clutch' on her Christmas list if possible... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Cheers

Stu

Edited by Stu

Oh dear, reading through a load of old posts it seems that this may in fact not be the gearbox but the pedal box giving up. I didn't mention it but the clutch pedal makes a loud squeaking noise when depressed and it does seem to tally with the difficulty in engaging the gears.

So - what are the odds of me being able to get the VW dealer to fix it for free, the car was bought privately and has no warranty? Not good? In that case, before it gives up completely can I fix it myself and should I be scared of removing the dash to get to it?

Update - just contacted local VW dealer and explained that I think the pedal box has failed and would they be able to fix it as a good will gesture. They called back to say yes, 100% good will fix with nothing to pay assuming it is the pedal box at fault! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I will double check the pedal box has failed later when my g/f brings the car home, symptoms are all there though from what I've read - squeaky clutch pedal sitting lower than brake pedal, difficulty engaging gears etc, then book it in!

This forum is very handy! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Update - just contacted local VW dealer and explained that I think the pedal box has failed and would they be able to fix it as a good will gesture. They called back to say yes, 100% good will fix with nothing to pay assuming it is the pedal box at fault! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I will double check the pedal box has failed later when my g/f brings the car home, symptoms are all there though from what I've read - squeaky clutch pedal sitting lower than brake pedal, difficulty engaging gears etc, then book it in!

This forum is very handy! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Your lucky there, some people have had real problems getting VW to fix it as a good will gesture and some garages have charged full price, so getting that offer without persuadment is good laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Chris

Your lucky there, some people have had real problems getting VW to fix it as a good will gesture and some garages have charged full price, so getting that offer without persuadment is good laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I agree but a bit of good news is a nice change! I won't count my chickens so to speak just yet, will wait 'til they've fixed it first! No real persuading required, just polite but firm smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'll report back with progress as and when.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> glad were of assistance, and welcome to the club!

Pete

ps you are very lucky that vw are doing that for you for free, bit of a postcode lottery! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

its probablies your pedal box had mine fixed last week cost me 338 pound tried to get it done for free or reduced price but no luck. ring up vwuk and tell them about ur problem the more people complain about it the more likely they are to fix it for free as they will see how many are failing. i rang them four or five times last week but no luck as it isnt a recall. i have wrote a letter of complaint to vwuk asking them why they are fixing it for free for some people and not for others hopefully get a reply soon. good luck in getting it done for free

niall

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I will be calling the dealer to book the car in this week so will be stressing to them that they are doing it for free just in case they try to stick on any hidden charges. The guy I spoke to today was very helpful and said it would be 100% free to sort it out, no idea why some dealers seem to do it as goodwill and others charge? I intend to get it sorted straight away though while the offer is there!

Pete - your Lupo looks very similar to my girlfriends, same colour! Has yours ever needed a pedal box replacement?

Update: Booked in for early next week for pedal box replacement - will post to you let you all know how I get on smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Stu

Update: Lupo went into the local dealer today for the pedal box to be replaced. They were still working on it towards the end of the day so have given my girlfriend a courtesy car for the evening and said the Lupo should be ready at some point tomorrow, apparently it's quite a big job getting the dash and steering column out!

The courtesy car is a bright yellow VW Fox, a little basic and underpowered (1.2L 3 cyl) compared to the Lupo but excellent service so far from the dealer I must say! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well, we took the Fox back and picked up the Lupo yesterday and it's all fixed free of charge!

Really fantastic service from the dealer I have to say, they had the car in two days in total, gave us a courtesy car and didn't charge anything for the pedal box or fitting it, which was apparently a nasty job.

The Lupo is back on the road and feels great, particularly quick and low compared to the Fox! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks for all the helpful replies that enabled me to find out what the problem was and get it sorted as a goodwill fix, without this forum I'd probably have overlooked the pedal box and been looking for a new gearbox or something - much appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 1 month later...

Hey stu,

I have the same problem with my girlfriends lupo and am going to try get vw to do it for free too, just wondered what dealer it was that did it for you so I can use them as an example of it being done if I need to?

cheers

Hey Stu, thought i'd end up seeing you lurking round here at some point.

Hopefully i'll also be able to get a pedal box done for no beans at all when it decides to fail (fingers crossed it won't though). Currently on 113k, got signs of something going, though not sure what see thread

As regards to the colour or yours and Pete's above. Mine is the same colour, so thats three of us.

Completely off topic now. How's the old girl doing? You know which one wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Tallika_Fan

• 3 years later...

you topped up your gearbox oil on a Lupo 1.4 AFK? bahahhahhhahahaa.

yeah i done that on my AFK. then decided to change the oil completely...when i drained it the new oil hadn't mixed with the old black sludge that was in there before...

sorry but your gearbox oil will have to be changed like...now.

you can only top up gearbox oil on the newer revised gearboxes such as those found in the Polo (2002 onwards). I drained the oil in that and it looked brand new.