Ultra heavy clutch pedal in Lupo sport (not pedal box)

My Lupo has a horrendously heavy clutch pedal. It's already snapped a clutch cable, which after being changed lightened it for a bit, but it's now back to the same old heavyness. I've had VW check out the padal box, but they said that it was the clutch that was worn rather than the pedal box being faulty - as only one of the spot welds had gone. I've called Euro Car Parts and looked on the G&S site, but they don't list a clutch kit for a Sport - is this gonna be main dealer only? I'm not even 100% convinced it is the clutch that is the problem. Anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

if any spot welds have gone, get them to replace it!

I had a broken pedal box, which caused the release bearings to wear in my clutch, replced the clutch, pedal box and cable, it's ok now though

still heavy, but no where near how it was before

my clutch is really stiff on my sport too. Sometimes if you press the pedal slowly, you can hear a creaking noise. I have no idea what this is, could be pedal box I guess but haven't taken it to VW to check because I can't really afford to pay them just to have a look at it!

Sorry, thats no real help at all blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

what year is your sport?

and how many miles has the clutch done?

mine was on around 110,000 miles with the original clutch, started slipping very badly. I had a new clutch fitted and it was very heavy. in the end I bought a new pedal box and clutch cable which were fitted myself although the old pedal box didn't show any sign of being broken. everything was great but about 2k miles later the cable snapped. I fitted a new one and it's all good again. now on 124,000 miles and the clutch is slipping again sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but I have been giving it some. the pedal has become progressivly heavier also.

do you have any clutch slip?

may also be worth adjusting the cable to raise the bite, see if it makes it any smoother? should only take a few minutes with 2 spanners.

what year is your sport?

and how many miles has the clutch done?

mine was on around 110,000 miles with the original clutch, started slipping very badly. I had a new clutch fitted and it was very heavy. in the end I bought a new pedal box and clutch cable which were fitted myself although the old pedal box didn't show any sign of being broken. everything was great but about 2k miles later the cable snapped. I fitted a new one and it's all good again. now on 124,000 miles and the clutch is slipping again sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but I have been giving it some. the pedal has become progressivly heavier also.

do you have any clutch slip?

may also be worth adjusting the cable to raise the bite, see if it makes it any smoother? should only take a few minutes with 2 spanners.

Thanks for the replies. It's a 2001 model, with only 25K on the clock. The previous owner was very old, so not sure if maybe they rode the clutch when driving, maybe causing it to wear quicker. I'm not sure. The main dealer said that they would replace the pedal box once the clutch had been replaced (they said get this done anywhere then bring it back and they would replace the pedal box). Doesn't seem to be any slipping, just extreme heaviness.

you can adjust the weight of the clutch pedal you know! my clutch cable snapped shortly after having the clutch done and no local garage would do it so i went to my local motor factors and fitted the cable myself and to start off with it was tooo light them i adjusted it to a weight i liked. very simple! and may sort all the slipping problems on a newish clutch!

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

sorry it took awhile to reply right.... crap pic but the induction hose made access limited...

DSC01463.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

the nut is just a locking nut its the black bit that will adjust the weight of the pedal.... clockwise adds weight anti-clockwise reduces weight as far as i can remember but what ever you do ensure the locking nut is done back up afterwards biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> hope this helps

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 17/11/2006 at 9:02 PM, eXXXtreme arosa said:

sorry it took awhile to reply right.... crap pic but the induction hose made access limited...

DSC01463.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

the nut is just a locking nut its the black bit that will adjust the weight of the pedal.... clockwise adds weight anti-clockwise reduces weight as far as i can remember but what ever you do ensure the locking nut is done back up afterwards biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> hope this helps

Holy thread revival Batman etc etc....

This chap hasn't logged on here for nearly ten years, none the less this post intrigued me...

The clutch pedal on my SDI is heavier than any of my other cars (After 121k this could just be down to wear or age admittedly) but the pedal itself sits at the same height if not a few mm higher than the brake pedal and I don't have any trouble selcting gears so I'm thinking (Read hoping ;)) it isn't a peddle-box issue per se! None the less I can't help but worry the stiff-ish pedal will eventually cause problems <_<

Is there, as this thread seems to suggest, an easy way to adjust the weight of the clutch pedal? Does it also apply to SDI models? The pics here are long gone so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be super gratefull. Any how to guides about for this process?

Thanks in advance chaps!