Torque settings

Howdo old chaps and chapettes

After been away I came home to my mahoosive package, of my new suspension set up! Yay!

Anyway, I asked my dad and he's gladly going to fit it next Saturday.

He said I need to find out the torque wrench setting.

How tight do I need to go? Tight as a mouse's ear? Or loose as....well anyway

It says the TDI has around 144 lbs per feet. Is this what he means?

Cheers!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It says the TDI has around 144 lbs per feet. Is this what he means?

That's the torque produced by the cars' engine. The kit should have torque settings for each bolt in the instructions. eg this bolt need 100nm and this one need 80nms etc...

Si.

you wont be able to torque up the nut on the top of the strut because you cant use a socket on it becuase you need to counterhold it.

the torque setting for the lower pinch boltsis 60nm and you will need to use new nuts and boltsfor this.

and it's also 60nm for the strut top as well.

make sure you get the camber angles checked and adjusted afterwards too

You'll need a 21mm socket welding to an open ended spanner, and a 7mm allen key socket on a ratchet, in order to release/tighten the strut tops. They bottom out as you tighten them up, so they need to be tight, but not wrenched up. The rear bottom retaining screw is held captive under load, so to release it you need to undo the top mount, then jack the car up to extend the strut (re-fit in reverse order). There's no need to replace the retaining screws/nuts unless they are badly rounded/corroded. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

Cheers for the info guys, I'll forward it to him.

make sure you get the camber angles checked and adjusted afterwards too

Aye he will be doing that aswell, which leads to my next question: Where would I find the camber/castor angles?

Why the hell didnt Haynes make the manual. They can afford to make a lawnmower one and bloody gypsy vans but not for the Lupo.

the camber setting should be 1 degree negative....

if in doubt the settings are the same as the 6n polo year 94-99

oh and you dont need a welded socket nut spanner bodge up job! you can do it with a normal 21mm offset ring spanner

Edited by Teflon

the camber setting should be 1 degree negative....

if in doubt the settings are the same as the 6n polo year 94-99

oh and you dont need a welded socket nut spanner bodge up job! you can do it with a normal 21mm offset ring spanner

Bodge it? You not seen the VW tools then? Besides which a closed socket is safer wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Stock camber settings are 0.30 to 0.50 degrees. 0 toe in/out. 1 degree of negative camber on the front will scrub the inside edge of the tyre in no time wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

So we have a disagreement. Hmmmmm!

Everyone has a different method for doing things. I've said how i do it, and what tools I use to do it. I've been changing shockers for years, and on many different cars.

I've also given you the stock camber settings. They're the settings VW and most garages will set your camber to.

If you choose to work in another way, or set your camber to another setting, then that's down to you...

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Bodge it? You not seen the VW tools then? Besides which a closed socket is safer wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

yeah, i've got loads of genuine vw tools,

and how would you counter hold the centre piston on the damper if you used a closed socket then???? or am i missing something?? maybe i've been doing it wrong all these years!

in fact i've even got a vw jig for setting the suspension geometry up for a mk4 polo/lupo

Stock camber settings are 0.30 to 0.50 degrees. 0 toe in/out. 1 degree of negative camber on the front will scrub the inside edge of the tyre in no time wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

the camber setting should be between .50 and 1.50 negative on a lupo

and the toe in is 0.10 n/p each side

Edited by Teflon

Your clearly missing something...

You'll need a 21mm socket welding to an open ended spanner, and a 7mm allen key socket on a ratchet, in order to release/tighten the strut tops

Ring VW directly and ask them for the camber settings... NO lupo runs toe in, and the stock settings on a GTI are 0.5 MAX. But hey, I'm not gonna argue... If you want to run a degree of negative camber and toe in, then go ahead. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Your clearly missing something...

Ring VW directly and ask them for the camber settings... NO lupo runs toe in, and the stock settings on a GTI are 0.5 MAX. But hey, I'm not gonna argue... If you want to run a degree of negative camber and toe in, then go ahead. product_1032251601.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

i think camber settings are a matter of personal choice to be honest, whatever works best! a allways prefer a little negative.........

Exactly. But you've told him to go 1 degree negative... Based on what? What you think a mk4 Polo should be, or how you prefer your car to be set? Should you not point out settings based on VW fact? - seeing as he doesn't know his ass from his elbow, and chances are, his diesel is otherwise stock..?

I agree that a little more camber makes a world of difference. My GTI runs 1.25 degrees negative camber on the front, and 0.5 degrees negative on the rear, but I cut my teeth on the track, and I can live with the increase in tyre wear and bush stress. Does he need that when he's crawling round a roundabout at 25mph? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I cut my teeth on the track, and I can live with the increase in tyre wear and bush stress.

me too! i've been racing mk4 polo's since i was 12 years old!

i more recent years i've used a lupo for hillclimbs where i would set the front camber to 8 degrees negative for increased cornering stability, also i would normally adjust the rears to about 2 degrees as well

seriously though for a stock lupo the specfied setting is .50 to 1.50 negative, and also that's what autodata says too!

Exactly. But you've told him to go 1 degree negative... Based on what? What you think a mk4 Polo should be, or how you prefer your car to be set? Should you not point out settings based on VW fact? - seeing as he doesn't know his ass from his elbow, and chances are, his diesel is otherwise stock..?

I agree that a little more camber makes a world of difference. My GTI runs 1.25 degrees negative camber on the front, and 0.5 degrees negative on the rear, but I cut my teeth on the track, and I can live with the increase in tyre wear and bush stress. Does he need that when he's crawling round a roundabout at 25mph? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Him is a she

And yes, I know f uck all, but thats why I asked.

Edited by Picola