Less power after a cambelt change

Sounds like the timing might be out, if he hasn't locked everything off when he's taken the belt off.

Take it back, and get him to double check the cam to crank timing smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Dale had this on her GTi, it was also making a chirrup sort of noise, she took it back and the garage said it was too tight, so they loosened it off a little bit and she said it drives normally again. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

^ as Luke says -

One reason for it being too tight could be to do with the tensioner either being set too tight (or if its an auto tensioner, then sometimes take a little while to wear in to their normal level)

Pop your bonnet and check the tension. You should be able to comfortably twist the belt to 90 degress on, on the slack side of the circuit.

One tooth either way on timing will have a noticeable impact on outright power and driveability.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for all the help guys - looks like another trip back to the garage. Trouble is they are only open on weekdays - so it really means another day off work!

Any idea as to how long the process will take? I'm guessing if it is too tight (which I will test tonight) then it is a two second job. How about if the timing is out due to the belt change? two second job to fix it - or a couple of hours to remove, set up and then replace the belt?

I'll phone up the garage and ask then their advice.

I guess if the timing is out, the emmisions would be bad?.....

Just thinking of a quick way to fault find.

armchair mechanics!!! i love it!

it's virtually impossible to check the tension of the belts on a lupo gti using the 90 degree method because there's no place where there is a long enough stretch of belt to check it...

they have automatic tensioners anyway.....

my guess is that the belt between the two camshafts is too tight.

check the position of the tensioner alignment fork, theres a diagram in here somewhere

huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />