A few questions to help me make a choice

simers_as

Hi guys, I am looking into buying a lupo gti but i have a few questions to ask to help make my mind up. At the moment i am driving a ibiza cupra R but petrol is a problem as i am now stating to save for a house and would rather have something that does better mpg. i know nothing about the lupos so all the help will be much appreciated!

1. what fuel is best, is unleaded fine for the car or does it have to be super unleaded?

2. what mpg do they manage? how many miles to a tank and how much to fill up?

3. what should i look out for when viewing the cars, any areas of the car where there are common problems etc.

thanks Ash

unleaded is fine but better mileage on super..

mileage to a tank depends on how heavy your foot is, best ive done was about 270..

as for common faults not many... pedal box is only one i can think of

Thanks for the reply, how much does it cost to fill up?

Forgot one last question, whats best 5 or the 6 speed lupo's? am i right in saying the 5 have problems with the gear box?

am quite keen on getting one now. just there are none for sale up in scotland!!! mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

ash

Costs about £26 to fill up from the red for me.

There are some for sale in Scotland - see here: wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22202

Just my opinion but once you've driven a 6 speed you will never want to go back to a 5 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by Phantom Photon

Its personal preference as to which you would like, 5 or 6 speed. The older ones are all 5 speed and from around 2001 (i think) they became a 6 speed. So obviously 5 speed will be that bit cheaper.

It costs me around 28 pound (103p per litre) to fill the tank with Optimax and i get around 250-260 miles per tank everytime. The best i have done is over 300, but that was on a motorway cruise to London from Newcastle.

As for common faults, i dont think there is any that a mass amount of people have had on the gti's, more like niggles. A few people have had the engine check symbol on, on the dashboard, i had this and it was found that a dodgy lambda sensor was the cause. Im sure there will be somebody else on who will tell you about other niggles/problems they have had.

well thats me sold then! i will keep up the search until i can find one i am happy with. have got around 6k max to spend and am looking for low miles. i am willing to travel as i got my cupra R in coventry! was a long day! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

ash

I wouldnt hope for much over 200 if you drive spiritadly most of the time. The best i have ever managed out of a tank is 240 and i normally get about 180-200 normal driving. I dont really do many long trips though.

I had a sport before I bought a gti and the mpg difference was quite noticeable, in town the sport

Is more economical while out on the open road the gti was much more economical.

Real world driving in my Gti best: 36.8 worst: 19.9. Average over 2300 miles: 28.8

i do mainly town driving and ill get around 180-200 miles per tank. another thing to watch for on the gti is the spoiler brake light. they tend to leak and corrode and stop working.

youll find lots of "quirks" with it, but you soon forget them when you drive one! smiles on my face every day! plus i personally would recommend the 6 speed box, more fun in my mind, might be worth dropping Diamondblack a PM hes got a 5 speed but recently drove another members 6 speed at santa pod so has experience of both!

good luck with your search smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Jen x

The thing is the tank in a lupo is only 34 litres, so saying I can get 200 or 300 miles out of a tank is irrelevant. At the end of day the Lupo Gti is a Hot hatch and therefore the engine is tuned more to performance than economy so you would expect around the low 30’s mpg.

I'm currently paying 100.9p P/L, and I just stuck in 24.78L which came to £25, and that was with it hovering just under a quarter of a tank.

Did it from as empty as I normally leave it last week and it took around 33L and cost just over £33.