Lowering springs

Hi, i'll be getting some 15's very soon and only have the budget for the wheels really, but i think it will look silly at the standard ride height with 15's 195/45's

so been looking at some springs alone, seen some really cheap jamex ones for £69, they any good? obviously you get what you pay for, but are these shockingly bad?

also will i need shortened dampers? or anything like that, or just the springs?

thanks alot

Si

How much will the springs lower the car by mate, you will be fine with standard dampers upto 60mm drop any more and your looking at dampers bottoming out then its worth going for coilovers!

Have you got all the tools needed to remove the shocks and springs?

How much will the springs lower the car by mate, you will be fine with standard dampers upto 60mm drop any more and your looking at dampers bottoming out then its worth going for coilovers!

Have you got all the tools needed to remove the shocks and springs?

They are just 40mm or i can opt for 60 front 40 rear, but i have to be able to get up a kurb you see.. ciould always build a portable ramp and have it in my boot biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i have no tools like a spring compressor.. so will have to let a garage fit them for me im afraid.

They are just 40mm or i can opt for 60 front 40 rear, but i have to be able to get up a kurb you see.. ciould always build a portable ramp and have it in my boot biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i have no tools like a spring compressor.. so will have to let a garage fit them for me im afraid.

Where abouts in the country are you as ive fitted enougt springs and coilover kits on lupos!

Edited by VWR Lupo

Where abouts in the country are you as ive fitted enougt springs and coilover kits on lupos!

im in East yorkshire mate, n you're in MK? a land far far away! hehe

Im in MK mate, if you were local i wauld have done it for half the price a garage wauld carge you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

what is a garage likely to charge? only takes about an hour to do all four dont it? lookin at about £30?

Your lookin at muchmore than that I reckon.Midland VW would take £100 of my lovely pennies to fit a set of coilovers

Your lookin at muchmore than that I reckon.Midland VW would take £100 of my lovely pennies to fit a set of coilovers

Well you know where to come then mate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Will do luke when I can afford the coilovers smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> be bit of a waste of your time just removing the suspension then putting it back on tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I got a set of compressors from halfords for 20quid. do the job just fine. just make sure you got all the right size spanners

haha. you may have all the tools, but do you know how to use them wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

You will have to find out wont you cheeky.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":cheeky:" border="0" alt="cheeky.gif" />

You will have to find out wont you cheeky.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":cheeky:" border="0" alt="cheeky.gif" />

shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> ooo well i never. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

spring compressors arent really needed tbh... i did mine without twice and had no troubles.

I watch someone do that a college and when they undad the top nut on the shock, the spring punched a hole in the roof and broke his thumb in the process ouch.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ouch:" border="0" alt="ouch.gif" />

I'm about to do the same. Those Jamex springs look attractive, but I reckon opt for the 60/60 drop. They are only cheap so may not drop the car as much as they say. My mate's having problems on his new mk7 Polo... the springs just aren't lowering the car as much as they say they should!

Are there any complications though with a 60/60 drop running 195/45-15??

Dave.

Edited by lupodave

so been looking at some springs alone, seen some really cheap jamex ones for £69, they any good? obviously you get what you pay for, but are these shockingly bad?

Where have you seen these mate? Currently looking for some myself

www.ebay.co.uk. Look all the way through the 'buy it now' auctions, on last check there's a few sets of 40/40, 60/40 and 60/60.

Edited by lupodave