Lupo might be going - new cars

Dave_M

Hi people,

I am having the sudden urge to buy a new car. I am 21 years old so have to take insurance into account, but I want to spend around `14-15k` max on a new car so the rest of the £££ can be spent on Sat Nav and a Road Angel etc. My old car had Sat Nav so I can't go from a car with it, to one without it.

I want something that handles well and is in the 6 secs to 60 mark, plenty of power and torque that can keep up with the WRX in scenarios. My options are currently a 210bhp Audi S3 OR a leon Cupra R. Because the Cupra R is cheaper than the S3, within my alloted price bracket, the Leons are newer, and with less mileage. However, they are slightly dearer to insure... What do you all reckon?

Also, anyone on here have any advice on selling the Lupo? I think a private sale is in order because in my opinion it's one of a kind. Anyone want to buy it?

cheers,

David.

well if your talking 15k max then obviously you will be looking at a 2nd hand car, probably the ones to go for would be a Ibiza Cupra, Type R, Leon Cupra R. Mate of mine went for a 02 S3 and paid 18k with all the extras so might be a bit expensive... what lupo/spec u got? We can help with a price

Hi fellas and it's nice of you to reply.

I have looked at the Civic type R and although it's a nice car, I don't like this `V-tec` idea whereby you need to screw the balls off it etc. Torque is about the same as a Loopy TDI hehe!

I rang for an S3 quote which was only 400 quid a yr more than the Lupo quote (i.e. the same amount as it cost me to insure the Lupo last year hehe!) I also asked for a WRX quote but was knocked back, being under 25 years old.

Yes, I definitely want a second hand car fellas. Do you mean you could help me with a price for selling my Lupo? I am thinking of going private and am unsure of a price. I don't know what is standard and what isn't etc. Here are the details:

2002 '02 Lupo 16 Valve Sport (100BHP) in Jazz Blue

Excellent condition, well looked after. 28,000 miles on the clock, a lot of Motorway miles though. Extras include:

Volkswagen fitted Cd player and satellite Navigation system

Scorpion 1014 (cat 1, I think) alarm. Includes mechanism which closes all windows and sunroof upon activation

Electric Sunroof

Air Con/ Climate Control (yes, clim.contr. Not even an option in the U.K. I hear)

Spoiler

`Cup-holders`/Electric mirrors (heated I think)

Eibach lowered and hardened suspension

15 Inch RH Alloy wheels have some scuffing, however, still look good.

`De-locked` doors on both sides, good security measure

That might be the lot but there might be more. How much do you reckon that could sell at? I have seen some `average-ish` Lupos of the same age go right up to 7 grand on `Auto-Trader`. I think this car is pretty individual and would be a great buy.

Any more opinions on the S3/Leon debate would be great. I reckon I could get a newish Leon R but obviously an older 210BHP S3. I want a newer car like the Leon but my instinct is with an S3.

Cheers

David

well if you can pick up a S3 for like 15k id say go for it, really like them. Your Lupo does sound very nice but i'll be honest and say i dont know prices for your model, i only really keep a eye on the GTi's... What RH wheels u got? I have the Classics

I'd think that the modifications and `non-UK` spec would put a lot of general puntes off. You will probably get less than the average Autocar price for the equivalent UK model, might do better trading it in or selling it in one of the modded cars mags PVW or something.

Leon will cost you less to run than the S3 though both are thirsty for fuel (low 20s if you do a lot of town driving) but your tyre bill should be lower and servicing should be a bit cheaper. Bot about on par for performance though the S3 is the more refined car with better interior and slightly more comfort orientated ride. S3 costs a fair bit more new so you'd have to get a year or two older model than the leon, won't depreciate as much though but depends if you are going to modify it.

I think they are the ZW4 Cuprad ones but I dunno. They are 5 spoke deep dish. I am just unsure how much to sell the Lupo at or whether to save time, just `part-ex` it and take the shafting.

Cheers for the advice Crusoe! Yeah, I could try putting it in a VW mag or on `Auto-trader`. I can wait anyway - there's no rush to get rid until a good offer for buying and selling comes along.

any dealer who phones around with the spec is going to be told it's not a UK spec car and they are going to doc you for it. Lots of private buyers would be put off by the mods you've done too. Private sale to a VW enthusiast who valued the extras would get you the most for it.

QUOTE(Dave_M)
For a fellow Lupo fanatic, of course!  I'll keep you posted.  No offers to buy it then?

hehe

Good stuff!

It's all VAG bits (Gamma Headunit + 6CD dash changer), proper UK spec.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'd get a Clio V6 for that money, l've seen them around as low as 13500 so that'd be my choice as you wouldn't be put in the same bracket as all the reps etc. A little bit individual.......#### thats why we all bought Lupo's instead of Paxo's and stuff. Just a thought you could get a VX220 for that aswell, check autotrader but l'm pretty sure they hover around that mark at the mo.

Chris

Excellent suggestions! The clio v6 is one of my favourite cars on the road (well, I see one every blue moon!) However, it is a 2 seater, something I'd rather not have, and I am sure that I wouldn't be able to get a quote on the likes of that or the Vauxhall. Would definitely be a great weekend/second car!

DC5 Integra type R? Around the 14K mark with around 220bhp l reckon, proper road racer with heritage. You could get a DC2 integra type R but you'd be spending around `9-10K` max for that. I know somebody else has suggested this but thought l would make sure you are thinking of the DC5 new shape.

VX220, why didn't I think of that, I had a drive of one a month or so ago, it was for sale for 14K and was in excellent condition and was really good to drive, need to be a contorsionist to get in and out of it! Only group 16! Come on my brothers only 21 and he's got an old shape M3 group 20! Stuff luggage space!